Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ETP ls7 heads worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ETP ls7 heads worth it?

I'm gonna go ls7 heads on my 427, but i'm not sure if the ETP's are worth the extra money...... what do you guys think?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think with a large power adder, they would be, due to their deck
Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Question

I too am considering putting LS7 heads on a N/A 427. I have seen ETPs mentioned on this forum but must admit to not knowing anything about them. Are they reworked Chevy parts or are the ETPs own castings? What is the cost? Are they complete or bare? I have seen Chevrolet's LS7 go for 1250 each complete. I have been to the ETP web site and seen the flow numbers that are very impressive. HELP PLEASE?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well to give you an idea, my ETP heads (should be ordered up next month!) are gonna cost me around $4,000. But that's with upgraded exhaust valve, valve seals, and springs. Base is around $3200 for a set of LS7 heads.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown4now
Well to give you an idea, my ETP heads (should be ordered up next month!) are gonna cost me around $4,000. But that's with upgraded exhaust valve, valve seals, and springs. Base is around $3200 for a set of LS7 heads.
I called ETP a couple weeks ago and they said their heads were only two weeks out from ordering now a day....... you havnt ordered yet, or you have and have been waiting?

I'm more looking for increased flow over GM ls7 heads....pros and cons and what applications which heads would be best for. I'm running mostly na with only a juice shot once in a while.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna order them next month. I'm waiting on my LSX block.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Collections Hold

Default etp ls7

Our LS7 heads are made from our own castings, they are not reworked GM heads. We originally made our heads for use in hot applications that would require larger springs and the thick deck. We also use a stainless vavle combo to get away from some of the problems associated with titanium vavles on the street. They are user friendly when teamed up with either Jesel rockers or stock LS7 rockers. No machining ness. They also offer more material if they are ported further in the future. The exhaust port is quite a bit better than the stock port. The intake port is slightly larger (6 cc) than the stock LS7. I have had feedback from customers that they did perform better than the factory heads, some were as high as 30 hp, some lower. I do not push them as an upgrade to a stock LS7, but as a better base cylinder head to start with that has room to improve or to run with solid rollers. The base price is 3199.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the lead time on a set of the ls7 heads. Might need some for the next project.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cary et performance
We also use a stainless vavle combo to get away from some of the problems associated with titanium vavles on the street.
What problems have you encountered when using titanium valves on a street application?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
What is the lead time on a set of the ls7 heads. Might need some for the next project.
Joe.... did you see the flow numbers that Greg produced out of my L92's with a smaller intake valve..... 2.125 instead of 2.165!!! simply awesome. Velocity should be nice as well considering the absense of valve shrouding.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

From what I can gather, the ETP's are the way to go with high output, high compression and/or FI applications due to their thicker deck. I don't really want to drop the extra coin on ETP's vs. L92's either, but I am going FI and want to use an LS7 intake because it flows much better than the L92. I think the l92 heads are out flowing the intake, so you really need to run a sheetmetal intake to take full advantage of the heads. There still are no aftermarket rockers for the l92's and valve material is limited.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Check out some of the results from Speed INC and their twin kits. Most of them are done with a factory LS6 intake. Unless you are going for 1000 + at the wheels, you should be fine with a factory intake. and heads. Many of their results are done with Patriot heads.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CNB
What problems have you encountered when using titanium valves on a street application?
Interested in knowing it from Cary as well....

Christian
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

I wish I could get a straight answer on all this as well - have a tax return burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Collections Hold

Default ti valves

I have not seen any issues with our heads with the Xcelldyne valves onthe street. We have them hard coated though. I have heard of issues on the factory LS7 valves, but I will not speculate because it may be an isolated problem. I dont like the powdered metal valve seats with Ti, we use a softer ductile iron seat as per recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

From what I can understan about the Factory TI valves Cary, it is not a isolated issue. Basically, if one puts a very aggressive cam under them. The tips wear down until the lashcaps fall off........... or they just break.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
From what I can understan about the Factory TI valves Cary, it is not a isolated issue. Basically, if one puts a very aggressive cam under them. The tips wear down until the lashcaps fall off........... or they just break.
I wonder how much these issues are related to the stock LS7 rockers - the wipe pattern may be such that the rocker tip is creating a bad loading condition at higher than stock lifts. Also, if big dual springs are used with a big cam, rocker tip loads will go up dramatically as a result of the greater spring/retainer mass. That's why I'm definitely going with the Katech behive springs/retainers on my build ...

And too bad nobody seems to make a roller rocker for the LS7 head yet.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71CamaroLS1
I wonder how much these issues are related to the stock LS7 rockers - the wipe pattern may be such that the rocker tip is creating a bad loading condition at higher than stock lifts. Also, if big dual springs are used with a big cam, rocker tip loads will go up dramatically as a result of the greater spring/retainer mass. That's why I'm definitely going with the Katech behive springs/retainers on my build ...

And too bad nobody seems to make a roller rocker for the LS7 head yet.
I think all of that has alot to do with it, the rest being the material in the Factory valves is not really up to snuff.

The only roller tip rockers are Jesels $$$$$$$. I have a couple leads on some people that make them custom for a little less, but it would be nice if there was a mid level option
Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cary et performance
I dont like the powdered metal valve seats with Ti, we use a softer ductile iron seat as per recommended by the manufacturer.
Do you use the softer seat standard or only when you configure the head with titanium valves?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Collections Hold

Default vvv

We like to use copper alloy seats with the Ti valves, Our standard ductile iron seats are 32-35 Rc hardness which is still compatible with Ti valves. any fliud trapped between the valve and the seat when the valve closes is very hard on a titanium valve. Stainless is much more resistant to hydraulicing at the valve seat.

I know about the valve tip issues on the stock LS7 valves, but since I don't have a real answer on the actual failures, I don't like to make my own assumptions. there is a lot of hypothisis' out there for failures. They are not always what we may think.

As far as rocker arms for the LS7, Yella Terra makes a real nice light weight setup for our heads. WE don't have integeral rocker bosses, so they are much easier to adapt to aftermarket rockers.

Quick Reply: ETP ls7 heads worth it?