Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Window Motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Power Window Motors

I need to replace the drivers side power window motor. I was checking on ebay and found them priced from $9.95 up to $39.95 a piece..does anyone have any experience with these motors and any recommendations? Some had a life time replacment warranty ... Any input would be appreciated ..
Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a motor for my driver side from ebay for $9.95 on saturday. I thought it was almost too cheap cuz i'm pretty sure they're $50-$60 for an OEM replacement so I looked at the seller's stats and they had a pretty good buyer feedback. It should be here in a couple of days. I'll let you know if its good quality and if I hopefully got my money's worth.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always taking a chance on window motors from ebay, I bought 2 fairly cheap new GM units from one of the stores, and one was noisey. If I would've gotten them from a local parts store could've brought the offending one right back for another one while I still had the door panel off.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paid $40.00 for mine on ebay and works fine. Not noisy and has been in the car for 2 years.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy the $40 one with a life time warranty. The $10 ones are just a temp quick fix. You will be buying another one within 3-6 months. I bought the $40 one and havent had any problems.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about eBay motors...go to Autozone, purchase whatever has the lifetime warranty... Siemens wasn't stocked at my local one, they had Dorman motors -- both fit with no issues. Not sure which have lifetime warranties though - so ask. Does Duralast make one? -they seem to like phasing everything out in favor of their products -- which is fine as long as they come with a lifetime warranty, IMO (which has paid for itself regarding my starter already).
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
Buy the $40 one with a life time warranty. The $10 ones are just a temp quick fix. You will be buying another one within 3-6 months. I bought the $40 one and havent had any problems.

Thats what I was thinking..
Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spend $3x.xx on 2 of them i sold 1 and used one in my driveres window.. 800 miles later its dead, ******* toast just like the stock 93,000 one.. went to autozone spent $45 for a reman lifetime warrenty one....
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
You've used the $10 one, of course.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

autozone has them 56$ a piece and come with a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found them for $42.99 + tax at Advance Auto Parts with life time warranty and no shipping ... if you have a problem with it in the future just take it back for a free replacement..
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I found them for $42.99 + tax at Advance Auto Parts with life time warranty and no shipping ... if you have a problem with it in the future just take it back for a free replacement..
Yeah, if those are the AI...something brand, I got the same ones. They're not only warrantied for life but they're also faster than stock which is a really nice upgrade.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Spend the extra $ on the ones with a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, any research and we can all agree that there is a huge problem with these fbody power window in design. If you look around you can find ways to get to the heart of the problem and not just keep replacing motors. Try these out first, with your old motor, before replacing the motor.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...=window+bypass

and our own sponsers product...
http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

Also there is a relay bypass that works as well. Just do some research before you just replace the motor, because even if you get a warrantee you will be going back into the door.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

autotrix, etc. is preventative maintenance... it sounds like the poster is past that stage, and needs a new motor
Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
OK, any research and we can all agree that there is a huge problem with these fbody power window in design. If you look around you can find ways to get to the heart of the problem and not just keep replacing motors. Try these out first, with your old motor, before replacing the motor.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...=window+bypass

and our own sponsers product...
http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

Also there is a relay bypass that works as well. Just do some research before you just replace the motor, because even if you get a warrantee you will be going back into the door.
Also, do a little research and put a little thought into it before blindly doing a modification posted on an internet forum.

The usual reason for replacing window motors is because of failure - not because of speed. So the autotrix modification is an "upgrade" not a fix.

There is a very good reason why there is a thermal coupling in the windows motor - it keeps the window from crushing a hand (or head or whatever) by stopping the motor when a certain amount of resistance is felt. It also keeps the motor from continuing to run when the window reaches top or bottom. These are functions that I would not want to bypass and I'll be candid here - anyone who does is a fool.

The quality of the factory thermal coupling is quite poor causing it to malfunction and require motor replacement long before it should. Aftermarket motors come with a lifetime warranty not as a public service but because the manufacturer is reasonably sure they're not going to have to replace many motors under warranty. The thermal couplings are higher quality so the motor should last the life of the car. I would much rather replace the motor once and be done with it than mess around with a potentially dangerous modification that takes at least twice as long and may still lead to motor failure because of the modified cutoff action.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I go another 7 years and 130,000 miles to replace the next one I have no problem with that time frame for the driver's window motor life span..
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If I go another 7 years and 130,000 miles to replace the next one I have no problem with that time frame for the driver's window motor life span..
right on !
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Also, do a little research and put a little thought into it before blindly doing a modification posted on an internet forum.

There is a very good reason why there is a thermal coupling in the windows motor - it keeps the window from crushing a hand (or head or whatever) by stopping the motor when a certain amount of resistance is felt. It also keeps the motor from continuing to run when the window reaches top or bottom. These are functions that I would not want to bypass and I'll be candid here - anyone who does is a fool.

The quality of the factory thermal coupling is quite poor causing it to malfunction and require motor replacement long before it should. Aftermarket motors come with a lifetime warranty not as a public service but because the manufacturer is reasonably sure they're not going to have to replace many motors under warranty. The thermal couplings are higher quality so the motor should last the life of the car. I would much rather replace the motor once and be done with it than mess around with a potentially dangerous modification that takes at least twice as long and may still lead to motor failure because of the modified cutoff action.
I hope that you don't think that I suggested anyone do any modifications "blindly" as doing that would be foolish. Anyone with half a brain can do other forms of research including actually looking at a car with this mod.
We all understand the purpose of the thermal coupling , but if you have ever checked out a motor with this mod (which I suggest you do), it makes the motor no more powerful than that of most other cars. I'm not pushing the mod, I can still understand peoples skepticisms on it like many others. I know for a fact that W/out the coupling the window motor will stop upon close and the auto down feature still works just like it should (this is not controlled by the coupling).
Doing this, after proper research is no more foolish than alot of the mods we see promoted here every day.
I was just giving some ideas out there. I didn't tell anyone to do any mods, just to try some research.

The usual reason for replacing window motors is because of failure - not because of speed. So the autotrix modification is an "upgrade" not a fix.
I wasn't speculating the reason for changing the motor, just giving in some research.

I would have no problem doing a window swap that often, if it only were that rare on a DD.

Good luck on your window. Let me know if you need pics on where the drills are, I'll try to get them this weekend (if there not around here already).
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yup...I think we're saying the same thing...look before you leap. Use caution with that mod, especially if you carry children in the car.