Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s

a few ?'s am a mustang guy but finally found my ultimate dream car. gonna swap to the other side and am trying to figure what direction to head before i start this project. want to build the multi purpose car street/strip,car cruise and the occasional street race. i am thinking an ls1 swap which will stay f/i with either a blower or turbo. car will be mini tubbed with the front end swap coilovers all around. am planning to strip car bare and start from scratch. so any help or suggestions from wiring to finish will be appreciated. any vendors, tuners,pics of cars done and so on i need all the help i can get.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are several good threads on getting an LS1 into an older car on this forum. Our thread is a bit more from the begginer LS1 stage. The sticky on the 69 Camaro is one you should read for certain. Expect to pay a few bucks in this project, and you will be happy. When you start forming the plan, ask a few specific questions, and they are usually anwered within 24 hours by the fine people that frequent this board. We would not be as far as we are in our swap today without the help of several members here.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Teching In

You prob know that your gonna need a front clip kit, b/c all of us nova owners know there no room under the hood. I've got a 66 hardtop that I'm still working my plans out and buying parts one at a time. I'm prob gonna run a carbed lq4 with the usual cam/heads and maybe some silly gas for fun. I've done quite a bit of research. Toying around with doing this swap without putting a clip in I called TURNKey Engine supply and they apperently say they have a set of headers that will fit in stock config. I dunno, put let me know if ya have any questions. Goodluck and glad to see another Duece on the board!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Welcome to the site. Do a search or ask a question, we've all been there and done that, so now it's our turn to help!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Teching In

thanks for the replys guys. i am early in the planning stages of this project and appreciate all the input and help i can find. i am currently looking at the heidts front clip or even possibly one from checkerd racing in indiana. figure ill just ask and see what will be my better choice. sure it will be a time consuming and expensive project but worth it in the end thanks again for any and all help.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you chose a Chevy II. Mine is a '62 with a '98 LS1 from a Z28. All of them are a little different but that is how we can all learn. LS1Tech is the best.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any details on the car?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

which kind of nova is it I would love a 67 Nova with a Ls1 in it not a Nova II though. Post some pictures up when you get some.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is exactky what i want with a LSx in it cant wait to see it done.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Default LS 1 Nova swap

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
Glad you chose a Chevy II. Mine is a '62 with a '98 LS1 from a Z28. All of them are a little different but that is how we can all learn. LS1Tech is the best.
I am building a 1965 Chevy II with this LS 1 and have not found anyone [except you ] who claims to use a Muncie 4-speed with it...I intend to use this set-up since I have 7 Muncie 4-speeds in my shop and won't mind breaking one. My question is will the stock bellhousing,clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing fit right up to this engine? Thanks....Lugby
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh my, I asked these same things and in most cases the answer has been NO. You must use a small 153 tooth flywheel to use the stock Nova setup since the bell housing will not fit over the stock LS1 flywheel. If you could find a stock Nova bellhousing that took the big GM flywheel when they were built you could use that but as far as I can tell Novas never were built with the big flywheel. None of the stock Nova pieces work with the LS1 set up. I ended up using a Chevy II scattershield from lakewood, stock LS1 flywheel, Ram pressure plate, stock 11" disc, long throughout bearing, and modified my Muncie to accept a 40 tooth VSS.

I think I posted something about most of my adventures in the STICKY section.

Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you doing about the throttle linkage? what about the fuel pump also? Im working on a 67 nova ls1 right now. Its in now. Just a matter of figuring the smaller things out (a/c,manifolds,fuel pump....) .
Old 06-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Launching!

I'm using a set up out of a '95 Pontiac Gran Prix. I made a block to fit under the GP gas pedal to mount it to the firewall, then drilled a small hole with a grommet for the cable to go through and last fabricated a simple adaptor to mount the cable up at the front of the engine.
The A/C compressor fit in it's stock location with just a small notching of the mounting bracket ( I am using a Heidts front end).
Exhaust manifolds...now there an open ended problem...I could have used 'shorties', but instead I modified the passenger side manifold( '99's are double wall SS construction), while leaving the drivers side alone. I also am using the stock catalytic
converters and dumping them into a '69 Camaro chambered exhaust system.
Rock Valley has the gas tank with an electric pump built in for the '67.

These are some of the things I'm using.......
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't got the accelerator done yet but will use a setup out of later model veicle that will work with my LS1. I modified a stock F-body pump assembly to fit the stock (new) Chevy II tank. It was pretty easy and give me some peace of mind that if it is a stock type setup it will work good. I used Headman shorties for headers and they fit nearly perfectly. The AC mount is next on my list. I think I will make brackets for a high mount passenger side Sanden compressor.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Is anyone using an auto in any of their swaps? I tried using the search to find more info, but this is closest I've got so far. I was wondering if there would need to be any "massaging" of the tunnel. I've got a 63 with TCI front & rear subframes and a 350/350 combo for now.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

A turbo 350 wil fit fine. I believe it is the same size as a Powerglide and they were made for them.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Sorry, what I meant to ask is if a 4L60E will fit it the tunnel, I already have a turbo 350 in there now. I tried asking around on stevesnovasite.com, but no one could answer about a 4L60E. Any other help is appreciated.

Phil
Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am using a Muncie but in my opinion a 4L60 would not fit, the tunnel is really small. Others here say that it will fit though. I wish I could tell you for sure but since the 4L60 is like a Turbo 400 size-wise I just don't see how it would fit without modifications to the tunnel.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

I fit the 4l60 in my 65 without modifying the tunnel at all. It is the same size and case if I'm not mistaken as the 700r4 only difference is it is elecronically controlled. I am working on hooking up the PG floor shifter to it hopefully Sunday. I bought the kit from shiftworks and it arrived today.

Quick Reply: 66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s