Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for those with body mounted torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for those with body mounted torque arm

i put this in the gears section too, but i figured i'd cover all the bases and post it over here as well...

Looking around this site, it seems like some have picked up some gear whine when they switched over to a body mounted t/a, and other have not....I have a spohn adjustable body mounted torque arm and since installing it i have a TERRIBLE whine from about 55-75mph...i can deal with a lot of noise, but this is like a demon is trapped in my pumpkin....

just want to hear from those who have a similar t/a and what your experience was, if you picked up noise or if you did anything to change the noise, thanks
-josh
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had no such noise.

Make sure all the bolts are tight. They are grade 10, and can handle any tightness your hands can throw at it.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
I had no such noise.

Make sure all the bolts are tight. They are grade 10, and can handle any tightness your hands can throw at it.
yeah, they are good and tight...i posted this in the gears section and so far i've gotten a handful of people who didn't get any noise and not one person who has.....hopefully getting the rear rebuilt will take care of it....
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Teching In

I have a body mounted ta and I have a lot of clunking in reverse, and also downshifting. and also accelerating. I believe this is due to me "eyeballing the pinion angle. I also have a pinion angle finder and have been too lazy to check and adjust it.

Check your pinion angle. leave it at 0 or -1 or -2
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

the clunking comes from the front, your bolts may be too loose or tight. ive tried -2,0,and +2.i'm gonna see if thicker rubber between the xmember & the body helps.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of these reasons are why I just decided to go with a torque arm relocation bracket to have it mounted on the tranny cross member.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

I noticed more gear noise, I assumed it was due to the fact that the arm is more directly bolted to the car instead of in a rubber mount. I have 4:10's so it was not exactly quiet to begin with.

Originally Posted by BACKN70
I have a body mounted ta and I have a lot of clunking in reverse, and also downshifting. and also accelerating. I believe this is due to me "eyeballing the pinion angle. I also have a pinion angle finder and have been too lazy to check and adjust it.
My torque arm is hitting the floor where it meets the rear end, my rear end is off to one side. Bangs when accelerating.

Quick Reply: Question for those with body mounted torque arm