Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some serious help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some serious help...

think of the front of the engine torn down, viewing the bare crank snout, and just the retaining plate and cam in place. oil pans been dropped about 1/2 inch so i could take off the pump and the oil pickup tube is open. got that visual?....

now visualize the far left retaining plate bolt falling into the oil pickup tube....got that?

thats what happened...need idea's to get it out!

i tried to drop the pan to see more of what i had to work with...i need some input on what i can do to get this thing out!

only idea i have is get a magnet and slide it inside the tube and try to fish it out the hole.

thats really all i got aside from pulling the trans, dropping the pan and getting it out....brain storm fella's...any idea's?

thanks for any help..

Jon

Last edited by ProjecT 9; 04-28-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone have a picture or parts breakdown picture of the oil pan with oil pickup tube?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jesus man, thats just bad luck! Im pretty sure the pick-up tube has a screen at the end, so hopfully the bolt didnt fall into the pan. The best thing I can think of doing is what you already said. Try bending the pen magnent to get it as far into the pick-up tube as you can. Hopefully it will catch for you! Keep us posted man.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i looked around on google and couldnt find any good pics. Try taking a metal hanger and sliding it down there to see if you can feel the bolt. If so try bending the hanger accordingly, and try and match a pen magnent to how the hanger looks. Just dont push down with the hanger to hard, or you might knock that screen off the end, i dont know how well its attached.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Jesus man, thats just bad luck! Im pretty sure the pick-up tube has a screen at the end, so hopfully the bolt didnt fall into the pan. The best thing I can think of doing is what you already said. Try bending the pen magnent to get it as far into the pick-up tube as you can. Hopefully it will catch for you! Keep us posted man.
well i got a magnet at lowes and attached it to a wire clothes hanger and have been tring to push it down the tube, but i make it past the first bend, and i think maybe a second but i havent come up with anything yet. anyone have a picture of a pickup tube so i can see how many bends it has in it? also where does the tube end at in comparison to the oil pan plug? only thing that makes me mad is this all could have been prevented if i was just being more careful...

Jon
Old 04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think there is only one bend. it curves towards the middle of the pan i believe. And it probably ends in the deepest part of the pan.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i looked around on google and couldnt find any good pics. Try taking a metal hanger and sliding it down there to see if you can feel the bolt. If so try bending the hanger accordingly, and try and match a pen magnent to how the hanger looks. Just dont push down with the hanger to hard, or you might knock that screen off the end, i dont know how well its attached.
thanks for looking man, that is actually what i did. got a wire hanger and been tring to fish it. i think i bought a pen magnet at lowes, but i cut the magnet off and stuck it to the hanger. just sucks b/c i was making great progress and could have fired it up tomorrow...

ill keep fishing and see what i come up with...I'm tring to think of what else i can use besides the hanger thats flexable/strong but cant think of anything. I'm thinking about a vacuum and tring to suck it out...wonder if that would work..
Old 04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think there is only one bend. it curves towards the middle of the pan i believe. And it probably ends in the deepest part of the pan.
I'm thinking it has 1 more bend down into the deep part..maybe not...ill keep tring...
Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i dont think it angles straight down. If you run your finger along the front(as far as it will go anyway) you can feel the tube slanting down. So i think its just the one bend, with a gradual slant to the deep part of the pan.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could even duck tape a small magnent to the end of some 12-10 gauge wire, and just fish it down in there. Just make sure the magnent is secure, you dont want something else falling in there.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could even duck tape a small magnent to the end of some 12-10 gauge wire, and just fish it down in there. Just make sure the magnent is secure, you dont want something else falling in there.
ya thats my concern...getting something else stuck...
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

If you can run along the outside of the tube, a strong enuff magnet should attract through the tube, then run the bolt to the top opening. The bolt won't make it to the pan due to the pickup screen.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the pan down lower and i can see it has 4 bends. i can get it past 2 but cant the 3rd with the hanger. ill have to find something more flexible but yet still strong enough to keep the magnet from sticking to the tube...I'm gonna try the vacuum tomorrow..
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06TDI
If you can run along the outside of the tube, a strong enuff magnet should attract through the tube, then run the bolt to the top opening. The bolt won't make it to the pan due to the pickup screen.
i was gonna try this, but now after seeing the path the tube takes, i dont know if it will work. ill still give it a shot to try it out. thanks for the reply

Jon
Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn i cant believe there are that many bends in it. Good luck man, hope you get it out.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

slept on it, and i got a new idea...gonna use a rubber hose and put the magnet in the end of it. I'm pretty sure this will work...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Go under, release the subframe bolts, jack your motor a couple of inches, remove oil pan, remove tube and get that bolt out.
While you're in there, swap the rod bolts with Katech's and there you are a misshap turns into a nice deed.

There is a sticky atop this forum to show you the steps.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Go under, release the subframe bolts, jack your motor a couple of inches, remove oil pan, remove tube and get that bolt out.
While you're in there, swap the rod bolts with Katech's and there you are a misshap turns into a nice deed.

There is a sticky atop this forum to show you the steps.
thanks for the advice man, but i actually got it with the rubber hose idea. but as a result i sliced my finger open and had to go to the emergency room to get it stitched up, but that doesnt even bother me. I got the bolt!!!

Jon
Old 04-29-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
i sliced my finger open and had to go to the emergency room to get it stitched up
J/K
Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to say, use a really strong shop vac to suck it out, but then you gotta get it back from the vacuum.