Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Granatelli Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Granatelli Camaro

Ok, so when i bought my car, the dealership had on the window sticker "Granatelli package". I asked about that and they said that they figured teh previous owner bought a package from granatelli or something.

well I inquired over at granatelli, and JR Granatelli wrote back saying that he built three cars for matco tools, and this is one of them. He signed the air lid and the inside of the drivers door.

Im gonna try to get documentation, but does that make it a special edition car? I dont see any difference between that or cars like a berger which were done by a performance company before being purchased by a private party.

I dont expect that my car is worth any more, but it would be cool.
I have no clue what was originally on the car from him since the previous owner put on SS badges. It had magnaflow catback which i have no clue if the previous owner did that or if granatelli did it. Maybe this will be cleared up this saturday when i plan to ask about documentation.

so what do you all think? is it worthy of being called a "Granatelli Camaro"?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing more then any other camaro really but then again I'm not a big fan of anything granatelli.

They severely inflate their hp claims on their parts and their "back to back" dyno vids are shady.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im not a fan of SLP, but that doesnt mean that SS camaros arent a special edition car.

There is a difference between what my car is and what it would be if someone bought a camaro and took it to him to get all of his parts, or jsut bought the stuff and put it on themselves.

My car was sent directly from the factory to him (as a set of 3) and he personally did the work, then signed the cars on the air lid and the door jam. They were not numbered from what i gather (still gathering info) but i dont see what is different between this and the DH camaros for example (of course other than parts and stuff).
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I think it will only mean somthing to people who are big fans of GMS. But I would consider it as like a car by ligenfelter or the ultra z. Rare cars but only for those that know about them.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast01z28
well im not a fan of SLP, but that doesnt mean that SS camaros arent a special edition car.

There is a difference between what my car is and what it would be if someone bought a camaro and took it to him to get all of his parts, or jsut bought the stuff and put it on themselves.

My car was sent directly from the factory to him (as a set of 3) and he personally did the work, then signed the cars on the air lid and the door jam. They were not numbered from what i gather (still gathering info) but i dont see what is different between this and the DH camaros for example (of course other than parts and stuff).
I'm not putting down your car but until you find out whats done to it then its seems like just a regular camaro.

DH changed the motor, suspension, drivetrain, fenders, hood, rear spoiler, ect ect.

Thats a good bit more extensive then your "granatelli" camaro that probably just has a granatelli lid, maf, and sparkplug wires all for a net ~10hp gain.

And I would be pissed if it didn't have at least all of the granatelli bolt-ons if he "built" it himself.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
I'm not putting down your car but until you find out whats done to it then its seems like just a regular camaro.

DH changed the motor, suspension, drivetrain, fenders, hood, rear spoiler, ect ect.

Thats a good bit more extensive then your "granatelli" camaro that probably just has a granatelli lid, maf, and sparkplug wires all for a net ~10hp gain.

And I would be pissed if it didn't have at least all of the granatelli bolt-ons if he "built" it himself.
look in my sig bud, it has all of this bolt ons. how could i have a car and NOT know whats done to it?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, so today i was at his shop, he verified that it was actually the first of 5, and it was a Granatelli Signature Series camaro.

pic with me, him, and my car:

Him operating the car on the dyno:
Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

nicely, any pics o theh engine bay>?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:53 AM

Probably not worth any more $, but still neet to have it. Get whatever doccumentation you can about the car.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

So did the granatelli parts rob hp?

318/326 seems kinda low for intake and exhaust car.

Thats cool you got pics with him and all.

You should sell the granatelli parts on here to make some quick cash.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 PM

That is low rwhp for an 01 car.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing more then any other camaro really but then again I'm not a big fan of anything granatelli.

They severely inflate their hp claims on their parts and their "back to back" dyno vids are shady.

me neither.... bad exp. w/ a MAF from them and they gave me the run-around when i wanted to return it b/c i was unhappy instead they made me send it out to them to check the MAF. got it bad and still set off the SES light and WOT was as slow as a snail! sitting so long and out of $300 b/c of them A$$holes.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
me neither.... bad exp. w/ a MAF from them and they gave me the run-around when i wanted to return it b/c i was unhappy instead they made me send it out to them to check the MAF. got it bad and still set off the SES light and WOT was as slow as a snail! sitting so long and out of $300 b/c of them A$$holes.
samething one of my friends is going thru
Old 05-07-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
I gained 10mpg and my car felt faster after I sold my granatelli maf.

If came on the car from the previous owner.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I gained 10mpg and my car felt faster after I sold my granatelli maf.

If came on the car from the previous owner.
I did too. I'm got a few mintues so i'll write a short story...
Back in Jan. 2004 I bought the MAF P#350-112C for my 2002 Z28 A4. I only had the SLP LM1, lid, bellow, 160 t-stat and K&N filter. i added the MAF. didn't let the batttery drain for the hour they suggest and the thing worked amazingly. it was like an instant dyno tune! loved it. about a month later, my throttle response started lacking and i threw a code. car was still under warrenty so i took it to the chevy dealership down hte road. turns out the MAF was the problem. they wanted to charge me almost $200 for a new MAF if i didn't still have the stock one. so i drove the car home and swapped the MAFs. with the stock back in, SES light automatically shut off. car was back to normal. it sat for about 6 months in my garage until i saw it one day and said, this was a waste of $300!!! i called them up and ended up sending the MAf back to Granatelli to get re-tuned. i got it back and this times let the battery drain. installed and hooked the battery back up and fired her up. had some idleing issues like they said i would until the computer adjusted to the new readings, but it didn't stop. i still kept running like **** and it set off the SES light again. i took it back out and put the stock MAf back in and run normal again. called them up and the result is that i'm out of $300. so they can take all of their over priced products and shoved them up their A$$. i traded the car in for the 2002 Z28 M6 i have now and tried useing it on that... set the codes off right away. i ended up giving the MAF to my sister for her 2002 WS6 M6 car and it hasn't set of the SES, but the WOT went down. i tried racing a newer mustang gt and lost. she has almost all bolt-on except LTs and tune. i'm about to take her car to the track and she the diff. in runs between MAFs in her car.
I hope this helps others. plus if you get dyno tuned, their MAFs will not work and will set codes unless it was done with a diablo tuner. but the car has to be on stock tune to put the MAF in then tune with the tuner. i advise everyone who thinks about buying their MAF to rethink... save up another $100 and buy the Diablo Sport tuner. I love it this thing. I just had mine sent back to get a software upgrade so i can delete the EGR and AIR from my car. i won't have to pay someone over $100 alone to delete them from my computer... it's honestly an amazing tool. i wish my carb. 1985 that's in my sign. was SFI so i could use the tuner too lol.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Camaro