LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carb'ed single plane manifold for LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb'ed single plane manifold for LT1

I know it has been discussed before (I searched), but forgive my ignorance, I couldn't find a direct answer for my specific question.

I have a 71 Camaro. I am building a new engine to replace the stock 307. I want to do a vintage Trans-Am (SCCA racing series) styled vehicle. I already have a L99 crank (3.00"), L99 rods (5.94"), and forged 350 pistons to build a 302. I am working on getting a clean stock bore 2 bolt LT1 block and some good used LT1 Al heads. I am going to run big compression and a big cam and I want lots of RPMs.

With out too many comments on the long block combination, or carb vs. fuel injection, my question is this: is there a relatively simple and inexpensive way to get a single-plane intake manifold to work with my long block rather than being forced to use the GM dual-plane manifold? I was thinking using a vortec style manifold and having a few holes re-drilled might work.

Thanks,
millis
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A typical single plane conversion from most shops that do them will be around $1100.00

search for "single plane" or "victor intake" in the LT1 section and you should find some good info.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

it all depends on what you're trying to go with: are you wanting EFI? or carb?

a carb manifold is going to be rather easy: just buy a vic jr, or super vic.

depending on the year of the heads, (early versions) there is enough material in the head, along the intake mating surface, to drill and tap the heads for a standard SBC bolt pattern (same thing used from 1955 on up) there are no coolant passages or EGR passages to worry about, NOTHING.

or, you can drill the intake manifold to the LT1 specific bolt pattern, by/make a set of angled shims to correct the angle of the bolt pattern (lt1's are like... 68* as opposed to the typical 90*) and then have fun with it that way.

if it were me, I'd drill the heads, so long as you already have them off the motor. hell, I'd probably do it on the motor or in the car, but that's just me.

drilling and tapping the heads is a LOT easier IMO, as well as being MUCH cleaner, and won't make you feel as bad when it comes to drilling on a BRAND NEW intake manifold. block off the thermostat housing and go with the flow!

EFI would be just the same, except drilling the manifold for injector bungs and welding them up. but I doubt you're going that route.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it were me I would start with a late gen 1 roller cam block and use gen 1 heads and have a huge selection of gen 1 intake to choose from.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If it were me I would start with a late gen 1 roller cam block and use gen 1 heads and have a huge selection of gen 1 intake to choose from.

I agree.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

I guess I should have clarified; the engine will be carb'ed. I want to do do a Gen II LT1 so it is a reverse flow motor (bigger compression on pump gas) and there is a pretty good parts source. It is tempting to go late Gen I, my friend has a 2pc. rear main seal 350 block sitting around that I could use, but I think I am going to stick with a carb'ed LT1.

So Mighty, if I am understanding you correctly the easiest way to set up an LT1 for a single plane intake and carb is to buy the earlier LT1 heads and drill and tap them to match a regular Gen I Victor Junior or Super Victor intake.

That sounds pretty easy to me. I will do some more searching tomorrow. Thanks guys for your imput!

millis
Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by millis
So Mighty, if I am understanding you correctly the easiest way to set up an LT1 for a single plane intake and carb is to buy the earlier LT1 heads and drill and tap them to match a regular Gen I Victor Junior or Super Victor intake.
millis

yeah, that's all there is to it! grab a set of like... '95 model heads, I KNOW they have the extra material (infact, they just LOOK like they were meant to have the standard bolt patern) I know '97 model heads don't have the extra material.

of course you know you have to drill them 90* to the intake mating surface of the head. not sure what the easiest way for you to do that is. to me, I would just use this fixture we have for bolting heads down to, that can be clamped on the base of a bridgeport. tilt the fixture to the right angle, indicate it in, and voila, you're ready to drill/tap on a mill!

a man could use some sort of flat plate with a 5/16 I.D. tube welded flat to it, that would give you a good guide to get things straight. possibly slot the plate to make it bolt to an existing bolt hole for rigidity...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

What does kit come with for price.

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
A typical single plane conversion from most shops that do them will be around $1100.00

search for "single plane" or "victor intake" in the LT1 section and you should find some good info.

Quick Reply: Carb'ed single plane manifold for LT1