Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STB Does Not Fit Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STB Does Not Fit Anymore

I took off my BMR Xtreme STB 2 weeks ago and i tried to put it back on today and I couldnt. IDK whats wrong, it fits my friends 97 v6 Firebird perfect, I'm just about to give it to him.
Any suggestions
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try lifting the car by the k-member...the weight of the wheels sagging might be enough to get it to fit. Not a great solution, but I've heard of people doing this with success.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try that, but I dont understand how this happened. I have taken the STB off at least 3 times and never had this problem.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear ther are parts that if you do not install it the exact same way it will not go on . . .

I remember trying to get a SLP passenger side header to go in once, after taking it out. It just wouldn't budge . . . force it here force it there . . . and then it was stuck. As I was laying there to figure my next move the damned thing fell out and nailed me on the forehead . . . a few explatives later and a few stars . . . the thing just slid right in . . . I didn't do anything different . . .
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I swear ther are parts that if you do not install it the exact same way it will not go on . . .

I remember trying to get a SLP passenger side header to go in once, after taking it out. It just wouldn't budge . . . force it here force it there . . . and then it was stuck. As I was laying there to figure my next move the damned thing fell out and nailed me on the forehead . . . a few explatives later and a few stars . . . the thing just slid right in . . . I didn't do anything different . . .
Lol, isnt that the truth

Keep screwing with it, it will go on, id try jacking the car up like suggested
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jacking the car up by the crossmember wont do anything. The front unitized structure of the F bodys is really stout and it wont sag or spread by doing this. I have pulled over 2500 pounds of pressure on a frame machine only to move the tower a few milimeters. I have also replaced a few rails that were buckled from front/side impacts and the strut tower was still within factory specs. The rear of our cars is really weak but the cabin erea and front is pretty impressive structurally. The STB is only an appearance item that isnt needed for our cars.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Jacking the car up by the crossmember wont do anything. The front unitized structure of the F bodys is really stout and it wont sag or spread by doing this. I have pulled over 2500 pounds of pressure on a frame machine only to move the tower a few milimeters. I have also replaced a few rails that were buckled from front/side impacts and the strut tower was still within factory specs. The rear of our cars is really weak but the cabin erea and front is pretty impressive structurally. The STB is only an appearance item that isnt needed for our cars.
Appearance item? How is something that ties the chassis together and helps make the front end more rigid an appearance item? Come on now...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DSMKilla
Appearance item? How is something that ties the chassis together and helps make the front end more rigid an appearance item? Come on now...
Because unlike other cars "Fox body Mustangs for example" the F bodys unitized construction is very structurally stable. There are also a few threads on the subject with some profesional road racers that will tell you the same thing.

So many companys are making them because they can be built for a few dollars and you guys pay $100+ for them. I even thought about turning out my own design.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Hey Jeremiah, maybe you can help me with this. I'm trying to figure out how strong the front structure of these cars is. I want to remove a section of the metal fender bracing and replace it with tubing or something to bring back any strength I may have taken away. Can you take a look at this thread for me?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/692951-how-can-i-get-more-front-wheel-travel.html
Old 05-06-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah these four gens have a beefier front engine bay area because of the factory coil on shocks. thirdgens have struts with springs inside the k-member on the a-arms.

either way I like stb's because of the look as well as keepings things tighter if anything.

I dont have one on my thirdgen because I didnt want to drill holes in the body to install one, but I might one day.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen front cross sections of wrecked 4th gens, and it looks like sheet metal to me. I noticed a significant change after installing my brace, and I DID have to jack it up to put it on. Triangulated sheet metal is still sheet metal. I am sure there is a wide range of tolerances in the unibody construction, and no F-body is alike
Old 05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Hey Jeremiah, maybe you can help me with this. I'm trying to figure out how strong the front structure of these cars is. I want to remove a section of the metal fender bracing and replace it with tubing or something to bring back any strength I may have taken away. Can you take a look at this thread for me?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692951
I have never dealt with anything like that but it sounds like a stable modification. The tubing would probably be structurally stronger than than the factory stamped steel upper long member/rail. There is another thread I looked across a while back where some drag racers were completely removing the inner and outer reinforcement for weight savings with no problems. They are only interested in running in a strait line with the only torsional stress being from the engine itself though.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thUCF
I have seen front cross sections of wrecked 4th gens, and it looks like sheet metal to me.
I have a ton of pics of wrecked cars and some with sections cut away from my local salvage yard. It is all sheetmetal.

Jeremiah, what thread are you talking about? I'd sure like to see it. What words can I search for?

Quick Reply: STB Does Not Fit Anymore