LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti getting changed. Any Tips or advise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Opti getting changed. Any Tips or advise!

K guys i'm planning on doing my opti in the next few days and was wondering what tips or advice you guys have? It's a Vented '96 and i have new plugs and wires JUST put in like 5k miles ago. Just curious as to any tricks or things i should watch out for when doing it? i just want it to work when i fire it up also where is the other bleeder for the cooling system? i know the one by the pump but isn't there a 2nd one? I've got a new opti, waterpump gaskets, t-stat and coolant. I'm not missing anything else am I? Thanks much guys. I may start it in the morning if i get my question's answered. I tried searching but no results which REALLY surprised me. Maybe i'm not typing the right things in but....
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would replace the vacuum harness along with the opti, the last time I did mine Dal told me GM won't warranty the new opti unless the harness is replaced at the same time.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

You can search under my name for the opti change..if you have a hard time getting the new one in. Just make sure the hub is turned so it slides right in. Bleed from here, don't mind the bad paint job and the fact I was in the middle of an installation

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

I got the opti off a sponsor on MNfbody and it has a 1 year warranty on it. it's not a GM unit. looks like a really high quality unit and the owner of the company i got it from said if i have ANY trouble's with it, to let him know and he will get me a new one. Thanks Zfan88 i will do that if i have problems at all I was planning on changing the Vacuum lines too while i'm down there
Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

also i got a BRAND new water pump tp change while i'm in there to i don't want to install a new opti then have the pump **** all over it and wreck the opti. Thanks for the help guys and i will be doing it this sunday along with my new blaster coil, A/C lines, waterpump, opti, and adding my LCA's and Panhard too. Big project on Sunday
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

ZFan88 whats the coiled hardline for on the nitrous? I can go as far as guessing it's purge related, but more info please
Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
also i got a BRAND new water pump tp change while i'm in there to i don't want to install a new opti then have the pump **** all over it and wreck the opti. Thanks for the help guys and i will be doing it this sunday along with my new blaster coil, A/C lines, waterpump, opti, and adding my LCA's and Panhard too. Big project on Sunday

Good call! I did the same when I put a new Opti in mine. Once you have it together, but before you add the antifreeze I would start it for like 5 or 10 seconds just to make sure it seems ok. If not, it would save the mess of draining all the antifreeze and risk dripping some into the new Opti if you had to take if out for some reason.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by buffman
ZFan88 whats the coiled hardline for on the nitrous? I can go as far as guessing it's purge related, but more info please
Ya, that's my purge..how it came in the package. I have the hose off the solenoid routed under the rear of the engine bay toward the corner with the pcm. Then it follows the hood line to the middle, splits with those hard lines, and out both vents at an upward 45* angle. Looks mean when I do a burnout+purge
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

If the type of dist you bought has a stock type rotor button I suggest cutting the plastic tabs off of the end of the button that hold the contact down and drill it out and refasten with a aluminum pop rivet.

Quick Reply: Opti getting changed. Any Tips or advise!