Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 cam results

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 cam results

I had MTI come up with a custom grind cam for the Vette, & after the install on Sat. & dyno tuning today the results are: 427rwhp/394rwtq. The only other mods are Kooks Lt & catted x-pipe, MTI air intake, & tuning. The car drives like a stocker till you mash it, no ill effects whatsoever. The specs on the cam are: 592/601 230/236 on a 115 lsa. Needless to say I couldn't be happier with the results, it's a very mild set-up that makes good useable power on par with a stock Zo6. A big thanx to Jayson & Chris E. @ MTI for going the extra mile.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice specs, not too rowdy and shouldn't hurt drivability at all. Pretty funny how these LS2s make more than typical heads/cam LS1s....and still using unported heads!

I also notice those cam specs would work well with a Procharger. Hmmmm.....
Old 05-03-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Wow Aric! 427 hp with stock heads. You will be turning well into the 11s and over 120 mph.

Did you happen to dyno before the cam?

When are you going to give it a try at the track?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

That's 20 more rwhp and 20 more rwtq than mine made with a similiar cam and the same headers!
Nice job.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Prior to installing the cam, the car made 377rwhp/376rwtq. The only change was the cam & 921 valve spring kit & of course some a/f adjustments & timing. There were no " dyno tricks" to fudge the #'s at all. The car was at operating temp, no ice on the intake, all the belts were in place, airfilter was in, no over inflating the tires, ect. I almost did the UD pulley while we were there, but the gains are small for the $$, & some of the cars have experienced charging issues. Again I'm pleased with the results, the car pulls all the way to 6800-6900 in every gear, with great DD manners on the street.
I appreciate the comments.

BTW as far as the cam specs & a Procharger go, I don't think that was an accident on Jayson's part, he's been trying to lean me in that direction since I ordered the car!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

50 hp is nice gain for just a cam. You were tuned before the cam so the gain is from the cam. Jason knows these LSx engines!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Some testing & tuning @ the track is in order in a couple of weeks. I've got a Cartek line-lock kit on the work bench that I'm going to install before my next outing. Hopefully with the line-lock I can get the tires hot enough to eliminate my wheel hop issues. If not I've got some ET Streets to add to the recipe.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Dude, the best thing you can do to help wheel hop is get a set of Bilstien Sports and let them break in for 1k miles. Sticky tires may actually increase wheel hop. I just blew the rear on my C6 in the launch box. The track was pretty sticky and I did a slight burn out just to clean the crap off the runflats and get them hot. I found that with these tires I could drop a few tenths in the 60' by doing a small burn out. Not my experience with other street tires. My theory is that they stuck good, but not good enough, she hoppped and blam, it was all over. Hop will kill these things. I've got half a dozen friends that say the $399 for 4 shocks cleared up the hop. I'd have them but the motor is out right now waiting on stroker #2.

I could not get out of the throttle fast enough. It was friggin quick. I don't mean to paint a dooms day picture but I would hate to see another C6 brother fall to tracking these cars. The things are great, but the weak links greater. I've got a C5 rear in mine now.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be going out again as soon as I can get my headers on. Waiting on the cats/pipes from Jason. He has not yet received them from Kooks.

I was hoping to line up against you but with that new cam I wouldn't have a chance now.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AintQik
Dude, the best thing you can do to help wheel hop is get a set of Bilstien Sports and let them break in for 1k miles. Sticky tires may actually increase wheel hop. I just blew the rear on my C6 in the launch box. The track was pretty sticky and I did a slight burn out just to clean the crap off the runflats and get them hot. I found that with these tires I could drop a few tenths in the 60' by doing a small burn out. Not my experience with other street tires. My theory is that they stuck good, but not good enough, she hoppped and blam, it was all over. Hop will kill these things. I've got half a dozen friends that say the $399 for 4 shocks cleared up the hop. I'd have them but the motor is out right now waiting on stroker #2.

I could not get out of the throttle fast enough. It was friggin quick. I don't mean to paint a dooms day picture but I would hate to see another C6 brother fall to tracking these cars. The things are great, but the weak links greater. I've got a C5 rear in mine now.
I installed two rear Z06 shocks on my 07 along with polyurethane bushings in a Z51 rear anti-sway bar to eliminate my wheel hop.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Larry
I installed two rear Z06 shocks on my 07 along with polyurethane bushings in a Z51 rear anti-sway bar to eliminate my wheel hop.
Mine is a Z51 so I've got the bar. Was thinking the Z's might help but I've heard only positive stuff with the Sports.

Sorry to hijak the thread, but this is stuff you definetly want to think about with your new power and intentions to beat her

p.s. thank you for actually driving the car. the guys on the CF are mostly concerned with wax and airboxes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanx for the info, I'm still doing research on the wheel hop, suspension, drivetrain issues because I do alot of racing. Once the clutch starts acting up I'll probably upgrade everything in the diff as well as a clutch & possibly a brace for the diff & tranny. I'm not having traction problems out of the hole, it's the 1st to 2nd gear change that's the worst. I've been told that getting the tires a little warmer cures most of the problem.

Larry have you had any track outings on the new rear shocks? Could you see any measurable results as far as wheel hop goes? Last of all, how much did it effect the ride?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Undecided
Larry have you had any track outings on the new rear shocks? Could you see any measurable results as far as wheel hop goes? Last of all, how much did it effect the ride?
Yes, I have had it to the track and ran my best yet with the Z06 shocks. I had zero wheel hop. Of course mine is an auto so I don't get that hard 1-2 shift that you may be getting. Ride is possibly a little stiffer but not enough to be a factor with a sports car.

I manually depressed these shocks and compared them to my stock. They are quite a bit stiffer by hand. I don't know if this is the ultimate solution because we still have all the upper and lower control arm soft bushings that could allow horizontal movement. But the Z06 shocks do dampen vertically.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Larry I may give those a try if I'm not satisfied with more heat in the tires via line lock.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Nice numbers!!! there's a cam install in my near future also. i'm looking at similar specs.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Nice numbers!

Quick Reply: C6 cam results