LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any DFI gen7 users? Inside plz...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any DFI gen7 users? Inside plz...

Im buying a brand new Accel DFI system for my car. Its actually the kit for a old school SBC, but with all the adapters to hook up to my LT1 sensors and such. I have a few questions for you guys that have used this system...

The person Im getting the setup from had bought the Accel Dual Sync Distributor with the kit, but used it as his oil pump drive/plug for the hole in his manifold while breaking in his motor with the stock pcm and opti. We pulled it and there was some broken parts carnage inside...

So using it is out of the question, and after seeing what happened to that one within a few thousand miles I dont want to buy another.

-Any other distributors out there that have the ability to provide cam and crank triggers to the Accel ECU?

-One more question for now... I want to run this ECU with a wideband O2, can I use an Innovate LM1 with this setup or do I have to buy Accel's expensive wideband setup?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I just found my answer to the LM1 w/ DFI question on the Innovate website... So Im buying my LM1 today.

Anyone know of any other distributor that will work the same as the Accel Dual sync?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Ok, I just found my answer to the LM1 w/ DFI question on the Innovate website... So Im buying my LM1 today.

Anyone know of any other distributor that will work the same as the Accel Dual sync?
What about a crank trigger? Are you planning to run batch fire or sequential. You only need a cam signal for sequential and I'm not sure that sequential would do much for you at WOT.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just like the idea of running sequential... Mainly because anything less would be a step down in technology from the factory junk.
I know that there wont be much of a difference between the two at WOT, but I do drive the car on the street once in a while for cruize-ins and shows... And Ive never found a definitive answer as to the differences between the two at part throttle/cruise speeds.

Ive considered a crank trigger with a dizzy that incorporates a cam trigger of sorts, but a crank trigger looks to be a PITA with the blower pulley on there already. Unless someone can point out one that will bolt to the back side of my underdrive ATI SuperDamper.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

i have a accel dual sync no problems at all
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

While searching the net I found that MSD makes a sync distributor of sorts... Now Im just comparing specs to requirements to see if it will work. The dimensions are similar enough to the Accel Dual sync that it should fit without issues...
If I can confirm compatability, I will post part #'s and any info I can.

Another question that has come up while reading through all this info -> 2bar or 3bar MAP sensor?
The motor is currently recieving 13psi from a max pulley'd D1sc that is definitely experiencing belt slip. Is going to the 3bar going to cause any negative affects if the motor does not recieve a boost number above 15psi with the belt slip problem eliminated?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383ysi
This one I got with the kit was in a car for no more than 3000miles and not functioning, just spinning. When we pulled it out there were several small screws, plastic retainers, and unkown pieces of something hard and black jingling around inside... Maybe a fluke, but maybe not.

Who else uses these dizzys? With or without incident...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

I have a dizzy as well dual sync....don't get the LM1 Accel sells a new wb02 kit for about the same price and it is as well a data logger u[p to 18 channels and a dual WB02 set up if you like.....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 383ysi
Hey BUD YOU HAVE MAIL>>>>>>
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going to run the opti yet my LT1 gen 7 kit came with everything to still run it, all and all the opti isnt a bad set up.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lethal93ta
Im going to run the opti yet my LT1 gen 7 kit came with everything to still run it, all and all the opti isnt a bad set up.
I keep having opti's give me issues. The metal part of the rotor dont seem to like how fast this motor will wrap up in the rpm's. It gets loose and causes a nice high rpm miss. Ive replaced the opti twice already, and there's only 1100 miles on the motor. So I cant wait to get rid of it.

ShurtersLT1 - The LM1 is already bought. I got it barely used for $175 with a brand new sensor... Couldnt pass it up. I will look at this 'new' setup from accel just for the knowledge. Maybe I'll buy one later down the road..

Im ordering a GM 2bar map today, just gotta finish comparing specs to see if this MSD dizzy is gonna do the trick... Either way I'll be ordering the Accel or MSD one very soon.

Is there any way to input EGT data into the DFI ECU for logging? Thats one thing I'd also like to keep tabs on.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran my stock motor on a 60000 mile opti up to 6800 RPM all the time with my blower, I never had issues, Im going to use the new MSD opti on the new motor they say that holds up great to even higher RPMs
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

But there's still people reporting issues with the MSD opti.

I dont know why I keep having these issues, when I was running the stock motor to 6500 with the procharger I never had a problem.

I drove it to work today with a next to new opti in it. So far so good with this opti, although Ive barel driven it. Spun it all the way to 6800 on my lunch break and it was smooth all the way through.

Still not gonna change my mind on the use of it with DFI though.

Quick Reply: Any DFI gen7 users? Inside plz...