Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice needed

My '95 Z that has 189K miles has been a money pit ever since I bought it, especially lately since it has crept up in mileage. The AC has never worked, the headliner is falling down, the BRAKE light has been on for quite some time, the ABS INOP light comes on intermittently, there's a repetitive clanking noise coming from the passenger rear wheel, I think the power steering is going out, and there's a bad coolant hose that just pours out coolant. I'd rather not list everything that's been fixed ALREADY. It would be too depressing. In any case, I don't want it anymore. I'm seriously thinking about considering selling it to get completely out of debt, which is around $2K, and getting a beater. Classes for me won't start back until July, so I'd have a couple months to sell it and find a beater for now. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'd want a money pit while I'm in school. Would a '98+ V6 be a good beater?

I'm still going to see if my Dad would get me an LS1 that COMPLETELY works, but I haven't been very successful, obviously.

I'm also wanting something that has a nice interior. The early 90's Infiniti cars don't look too bad, but I don't know if they're reliable or not.

Last edited by Shackleford; 05-04-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

damn man sounds like you treated this one like **** lol. dude dont stress on it to hard. my first car was a 69 vw bug. its like yours except didnt have a/c, headliner, back seats, power steering lol. if you are gonna get a fbody dont get a v6 IMO.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

get a low mile LS1, and save the borla!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

If your in school and want to save money just get a honda, seriously..

I had to do the same thing when I went to school. I sold my first f-body and got a cheap mazda and drove it around 4 years-maintenance free. Then when I could afford it, I went back to a money eating v8. I can't live without it (the v8). I hate imports just as much as the next guy, but they do make cheap and reliable cars to drive when your in school..
Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
If your in school and want to save money just get a honda, seriously..

I had to do the same thing when I went to school. I sold my first f-body and got a cheap mazda and drove it around 4 years-maintenance free. Then when I could afford it, I went back to a money eating v8. I can't live without it (the v8). I hate imports just as much as the next guy, but they do make cheap and reliable cars to drive when your in school..
Yeah, I think I might have to do that. What years should I be looking at, though? And what other brands/models would be maintenance free?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L67toLS1
get a low mile LS1, and save the borla!
If I had the money, I certainly would. I think if you take care of a low-mile LS1, it would be for the most part maintenance free, as would most cars.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

I've been thinking the same thing lately but I love my car too much to get rid of it now. Those new civics are starting at like 15,000 I think and they're not bad looking cars also I would look into maybe a scion TC. They're not beaters and their efficient. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SSick02
I've been thinking the same thing lately but I love my car too much to get rid of it now. Those new civics are starting at like 15,000 I think and they're not bad looking cars also I would look into maybe a scion TC. They're not beaters and their efficient. Just a thought.
Eh. I imagine it would have to be less than $5K.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Eh. I imagine it would have to be less than $5K.

Oh my bad. I would still go with an older honda then. Unless you can talk your dad into getting you a ls1 sometime soon.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SSick02
Oh my bad. I would still go with an older honda then. Unless you can talk your dad into getting you a ls1 sometime soon.
Well, how's the build quality compared to the LT1 I've had? I've seen quite a few high-mileage LS1s for less than $6K. Should I stay away from those? I'm talking like 130K+ miles.