Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 problems/slipping/vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 problems/slipping/vibrating

The 6 speed was put back in my car a few weeks ago... My friend put a used spec 3 in with the tranny. He said the clutch had less than 1k miles on it and some track use but overall it wasnt driven to hard. Well ever since I got the car back the clutch held pretty well but when I downshift and step on it something vibrates for a split second then it hooks. From a first gear launch or wot through the gears it doesnt vibrate but everywhere else it does. Even when driving and I get on it from a roll it will vibrate violently than hook... I'm f'n pissed!!!!!!! I dont know whats wrong with the car but i'm sure its coming from my clutch. Last week it straight up slipped bigger than **** and I saw the rpm's go up before it hooked. This chatter or vibration is something i've never experienced before in a slipping clutch..

Anybody experience this, know a fix??? I think i'm gonna trash it and not buy a spec since they are so 3/10 work....I have heads and cam for mods.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea the clutch is toast if its vibrating. Thats the flywheel getting into the rivets on the pressure plate. Sucks man, Ive been there....
Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Yea the clutch is toast if its vibrating. Thats the flywheel getting into the rivets on the pressure plate. Sucks man, Ive been there....
Thanks for the info man.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Been there myself also. Don't think that it's just because it's a Spec clutch. That company catches a lot of flack, but they do offer a quality product believe it or not. A lot of the "bad clutches" are bad installs who have jumped on the hate spec bandwagon.

Ben T.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Launching!

ouch........
Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I like mine, and its just the 2+. If you think about how many clutches spec has in cars, you would understand why you hear about so many people having problems. Nothing mass produced is going to perfect in every application. But when you sale say just for instance, 100,000, and a 1% of those 100,000 have flaws, thats 1,000 units!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Well I've heard good and bad stories about them. They make so many clutches though so we here alot of the reviews. Most of the bad reviews though are coming from the stage 3 or 3+ with the 4 puck kevlar clutch. It seams that these Kevlar clutches dont last near as long as the carbon flat disc clutches, you know the ones that are like stock. They dont seem to like street driving either...

How is that spec stage 2+??? Is there a durable clutch that is like stock but holds around 450 hp and tq?? I doubt the LS6 would hold alot of power but I hear they last long on mild applications.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

I like the drivability of the 2+, I dont have any chatter at all. And holds all the power I got, which isnt but 340 lol but on some heavy duty DR's. I have a MS4 sittin in my bedroom waiting to get installed. We'll see if it can hold up to around 400hp

Quick Reply: Spec 3 problems/slipping/vibrating