Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manifolds/headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manifolds/headers

Im swapping an ls1/T56 into a '52 chevy pickup. Anyways, Im using stock corvette style motor mounts with the rubber pillows. Problem is, to clear my rack and pinion steering input I had to mount the drivers side mount in the back set of holes in the block. This means where most of the collectors are on manifolds and headers, I have a motor mount, on the drivers side. So I had the sheetmetal style vette manifolds, they dont work, and I dont think a camaro/firebird manifold has the exhaust far enough back to clear my motor mounts. Not only do I have this problem but my frame is super narrow, so most manifolds/headers that do fit the engine mount would position the exhaust going through the frame. And on top of those two problems my steering wants to be right there as well

Any ideas on a block hugger manifold/header that exits reallly far back?

I'll get pics up tomorow.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found that the '98 f-body manifolds were about the must tucked-in manifolds out of the bunch - although, admittedly i did not try the truck manifolds or vette manifolds (although i'd like to!!)
Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cajundragger
Im swapping an ls1/T56 into a '52 chevy pickup. Anyways, Im using stock corvette style motor mounts with the rubber pillows. Problem is, to clear my rack and pinion steering input I had to mount the drivers side mount in the back set of holes in the block. This means where most of the collectors are on manifolds and headers, I have a motor mount, on the drivers side. So I had the sheetmetal style vette manifolds, they dont work, and I dont think a camaro/firebird manifold has the exhaust far enough back to clear my motor mounts. Not only do I have this problem but my frame is super narrow, so most manifolds/headers that do fit the engine mount would position the exhaust going through the frame. And on top of those two problems my steering wants to be right there as well

Any ideas on a block hugger manifold/header that exits reallly far back?

I'll get pics up tomorow.
I've spent a lot of time looking around at LS1 headers/manifolds before I found the ones that worked in my swap. Take some pictures of how the motor mount and frame works out and then maybe we can give you some ideas as to what you might try. More specificly tell us what cylinders the motor mount is under, like between 3 and 5, under 5 etc...

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can we get a picture of your problem? We have a set of the S&P mid length headers, and I would be happy to measure them for you, once I know where you are having fitment issues. We also have a set of stock 02 F-Body manifolds, and I could make a measurement or two there as well. You may be looking at a custom header.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a very similar issue with my Chevy II. Everything needed to go in the same spot on the driver's side. I finally ended up using Hedman block huggers and they fit nearly perfectly with no smashing or cutting. I have pictures if you want to see them.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
I have pictures if you want to see them.
I do
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shifty`
i found that the '98 f-body manifolds were about the must tucked-in manifolds out of the bunch - although, admittedly i did not try the truck manifolds or vette manifolds (although i'd like to!!)
I've compared the 6.0 truck manifolds to the f-body manifolds. The truck manifolds put the outlets further outboard (I'd bet by 2" to 3" per side). They're definitely not narrower.

The f-body manifolds exit about the furthest back of the bunch.

I might suggest that you try to solve the problem differently.

Engine mounts are easy to build relative to headers or manifolds. I would suggest you look to see if you can build new mounts that clear an existing manifold (like the vette ones). Not sure if that's possible, but certainly worth thinking about.

I know that I hate doing stuff I've already done over, but it might be easier than building / reworking / finding manifolds or headers that will fit your chassis. Sometimes, you gotta punt!

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are pictures of the Hedmans in my ChevyII.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSC01069.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSC01071.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSC01066.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSC01065.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSC01064.jpg
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

smart me forgot to take pics for yall. I do have this one where you can slightly see my problems. I'll get better ones for sure.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks sadly familiar. I can get you any measurements from mine that you need if it helps.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
Looks sadly familiar. I can get you any measurements from mine that you need if it helps.
I ordered some headers from Street and Performance. They said that they may fit, I wont be sure until they arrive though. But I will get some better pics and measurements and compare with you, thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

THey may not be long tubes, but we are pretty impressed with the build quality of the S&P headers.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

I have S&P shorty headers on my current small block and they are well made. You should be happy with them.

Quick Reply: manifolds/headers