General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wont upshift at WOT!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont upshift at WOT!?

Ok, so tonite i stomp my car at a start ( i have an auto ) and it takes off, and then it bounces off the rev limiter and is screaming, im like wtf it didnt shift. Then i hear this ticking from underneath my car which sounds like a big exhaust leak. I have no idea if it has anything to do w/ car not shifting at WOT or just a coincidence. Any help or ideas at all!I just bought this car, it has a new motor in it, and i just got a transmission tune in it, it shifts harder (but i needed the tune cuz when i floored it it wouldnt downshift) Car shifts fine when cruising, but dont upshift when WOT!! HelP!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it is a new motor, it may have a break in period, (electronical thing) example: first 5 hours rev limiter will only allow 3000 rpm. and 6 hours 4000 rpm...etc, etc. this is a possibility if this is a new motor because one of my buddies got a crate motor that did this.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Teching In

you dont have any type of programmer on the car do you. i had that problem with a hypertech programmer. other than that, it seems that it is something in the computer system.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

ticking sound? could the valve train have gotten damaged from bouncing off the limiter?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know that if you have a clogged cat it will do that too my buddy had a GTP that did that and when they pulled the cat you couldn't see through it when a light was at the other end and you should be able to. His wouldn't shift under WOT but if he let off to about 1/2 throttle it would shift. It also shifter fine under lighter load. That also could be why you hear a leak as the pressure may have blown out a exhaust gasket or is making a small hole even more pronounced. Just my past experience and i hope it helps ya with your problem. If you don't have a Cat then tell me to shut up
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok, i was testing it again today, and i can stomp it all the way to around 4500 rpms and its still shifts,buts once i keep it going to 5000 rpms it seems like it just bounces off the rev limiter and THEN it wont shift. But otherwise it always shifts fine
Old 05-10-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tranny doesnt shift out of third if i leave my foot on wot....just doesnt...programed into the car until it hits some ridicoulus shift point....keep it wot and then just feather it ....itll shift
Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your tuner set the shift point higher than the rev limit. The ticking could be a lifter or a bent pushrod.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The ticking could be a lifter or a bent pushrod.

As for the no shift condition at WOT, first thing is first: check the fluid level. 4L60Es are a bit picky about being filled to the proper level.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

OK! heres the deal!! Not 10 min after i wrote last, i took my buddy for a ride to show him wut was up. I pull out of my subdivision, and stomp it. As the speed rising in first, BAM hits the rev limiter doesnt shift. Im like "see i told you". Next thing i kno i go to gas it, and dont go no where! Trans went out completely! Now here's my dilemma. I bought the car a week ago from the dealership. I found out from the performance shop the kid put a new motor in from breaking a rocker arm. So i have a new LS1, so the dealership is either gonna put in a new trans free of charge, or i trade my car in. Only thing im worried about now is tht sound, which NOW sounds more closer to the engine then last nite, ever since the trans went. OCuld tht be a major engine problem? What would ur opinions be. Get a new trans free of charge, and have a really clean z28 w/new trans and motor, or swap for another car?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

also, i just realized, when my trans went out, it was just all of a sudden. There was nothing, like complete nuetural. I had NO gears! No reverse! thought when trans go bad u have like one or two go out. Or u could go real slow. But for me it was just like i was in neutral and i had to pull over. Is tht normal when u blow ur trans
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You probably broke the Sunshell, mine did that as soon as I started rompin on it to break it in with my built LT1. It looked like someone threw a Grenade in it.