General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car will not start......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car will not start......Help!

I went to the gym and came back out when I was finished working out and the car would not start. The starter would even turn over or click the solenoid. There was no power going to the starter at all. I checked the fuses and they were good. I pulled the starter and had it tested and it was good the power lead to the starter had a burnt spot on it but it had been there for a long time, it touched the header a while back but it has been working fine. I thought it might be the neutral safety switch so I moved the car and put it park and it still wouldn't start. I shook the steering wheel and tried to start it. Oh the battery was also tested and it was in good shape. The only thing that I can think of would be the ignition switch in the steering column. I have never had any trouble out of the car(unless I caused it messing with the tune) at all. Has anyone had problems similar to this? I tried a search but I couldn't find anything.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention if you were getting a security light - is VATS already disabled?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't notice a security light blinking - VATS....I have no clue if it is disabled. I would say not since I didn't do and I don't think the tuner did it.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

That Happened To Me Once When I Got Out Of Home Depot. Car Ran Great 1/2 Hour Befor And I Thought It Was Something In The Ignition But It Turned Out To Be A Dead Fuel Pump.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a little different situation than mine. My starter is not getting any power.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
That is a little different situation than mine. My starter is not getting any power.

If its not simple like the fuses being blown, it could be corrosion on the positve terminal. Your engine will start fine one second and then bam, you're screwed and it won't start the next time. Check it for corrosion.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

i have a friend with pretty much the same problem, but the car has a good fuel pump and the car wouldn't start when we tried to jump start it. i would also like some ideas!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If your starter was tested and is good, and the battery was tested and good, sounds like you don't have power from the battery to the starter. That little burned spot may have finally shorted out. Or the cable went bad. Check the connections or replace the cable.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
i have a friend with pretty much the same problem, but the car has a good fuel pump and the car wouldn't start when we tried to jump start it. i would also like some ideas!
It started fine when I went to the gym and it has never given me any problems. Came back out to leave and no power to the starter.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

you dont have power going to the starter?

test to see if you have voltage from the positive battery terminal to the starter. its 1 wire you should have voltage.

to test the purple wire have a friend crank the car and test the purple wire to a known good ground. if nothing shows up there its on the ignition signal side.

let me know what you get when you test these then we can go from here. this will isolate the problem better and i can help you get threw this.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
If your starter was tested and is good, and the battery was tested and good, sounds like you don't have power from the battery to the starter. That little burned spot may have finally shorted out. Or the cable went bad. Check the connections or replace the cable.
I'm going to have to get a tester to track it down. I checked the battery when I pulled it out to have it tested and it looked fine no corrosion at all. Like I said before I have never had a problem starting the car it would always start on the first bump. I wondering it its the neutral safety switch or the ignition box in the steering column. Everything works and the lights are bright as usual. The power guage is low but it doesn't even show a draw when the lights are turned on so I don't think it's reading correctly.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
you dont have power going to the starter?

test to see if you have voltage from the positive battery terminal to the starter. its 1 wire you should have voltage.

to test the purple wire have a friend crank the car and test the purple wire to a known good ground. if nothing shows up there its on the ignition signal side.

let me know what you get when you test these then we can go from here. this will isolate the problem better and i can help you get threw this.
I get the tester out tomorrow and see what it says. I've already checked all the fuses and relays and they are good.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FHPB4C
That Happened To Me Once When I Got Out Of Home Depot. Car Ran Great 1/2 Hour Befor And I Thought It Was Something In The Ignition But It Turned Out To Be A Dead Fuel Pump.

I'll assume your starter was getting power.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
I get the tester out tomorrow and see what it says. I've already checked all the fuses and relays and they are good.
If you need a meter,I have one.Good luck on it!!Seriously,you have my number if you need it.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by projectjim
If you need a meter,I have one.Good luck on it!!Seriously,you have my number if you need it.
I probably get you to show how to use it first! LOL I'll call you later on today.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Any luck on the car?Didn't want to call on Mothers' day.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No everytime I wanted to go work on the car the wife always had to go some where. When I could finialy use the truck it was late and I didn't feel like messing with it. I went today and my HPtuners asked me for a damn application key and wouldn't you know I didn't know it. So dropped my head and went back home.

Oh in case I didn't tell you the Security light was blinking so I was going to disable the VATS and see it would crank.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the meter out and measured the resistor on the key. It was 4.75 ohms...when I first looked at it I though it said 475 ohms, so I went and bought a 470 ohm and a 10 ohm resistor and soldered them in and it didn't work. Measured the key again and I realized it was 4.75 or 4750 ohms so instead waiting to by some more resistors I temporarily soldered in the spare key and the car started up on the first hit.