Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Koni SA and more, but rides like a tank. Why? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Koni SA and more, but rides like a tank. Why? Help!

Hopefully Sam can chime in.

My car rides so stiff it's not enjoyable to drive, at all. It basically slaps potholes, cracks in the pavement, and hits everythig extremely hard. I am looking for help to resolve this. It might be the Koni SA's.

I replaced everything back to OEM to get some suspension travel back in the car. I had it lowered on Bilstein and lowering springs and decided I just want some ride quality back. That is why I replaced everything. The car originally came with the 1LE springs (1998 WS6) so the closest I could find to stock ride and spring rate was the SLP Level II fronts. I did put new rear 1LE springs back in. The car when new never drove this hard or evern when I had it lowered and with Bilsteins.

Now, the dash, outside mirrors, sterring wheel and hood shake when I hit bumps. When the car is sitting still you can push down on all corners easily, there is plenty of travel in the suspension. It appears that if the suspesion is compressed slowly it is fine but if it needs to react fast the then there is no compression at all, just ssmacks bumps and cracks.

Example 1: If I go over a bump/pothole very very slow you can feel the suspension take it easliy. If I go over it faster it's like there is no give in the struts, it just smacks it hard and rattles everything.

Example 2: When driving on the same curved off-ramps or curved on-ramps as before and I hit the seams or expansion joints in the pavement, the car now smacks these so hard the steering gets increbily loose for an isntance becuase it basically goes airborn skipping over the crack instead of absorbing it. This is not a bump steer issue and of course scarry as hell.

I have replaced everything in the front and rear of the car with new parts, this includes:
Front upper and lower control arms (OEM)
Front steering knuckles (OEM)
Front rotors (Baer)
Front springs (SLP Level II)
Front struts (Koni SA 4th gen)

Rear lower control arms
Rear springs (OEM 1LE)
Rear sway bar, bushings and endlinks (OEM)
Rear rotors (Baer)
Rear shocks (Koni SA 4th gen)

The Koni SA's went on the car out of the box. As far as I know there we no adjustments made on them so they are on the factory settings.

Maybe this can give you and idea of the time and money invested here so you understand how frustrating this is.

Last edited by Mark A. Rogalski; 05-12-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Just installed my koni's today. I noticed a world of difference. Problem might be the springs. Give sam a call with the springs. Also with the problem. Im sure he could steer you in the right direction. For what its worth you car looks great from underneath.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
The Koni SA's went on the car out of the box. As far as I know there we no adjustments made on them so they are on the factory settings.
I think that is your problem.

What is your tire pressure?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I put my SA's on the felt really stiff in the front.I think Sam explained that the rears came out of the box at full soft and the fronts at full firm. I drove around with the out of the box settings for awhile and it felt like SH*T! Adj. them now and its all
Old 05-12-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I think that is your problem.

What is your tire pressure?
Tire press was also a issue too for me
Old 05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RUDE SS
When I put my SA's on the felt really stiff in the front.I think Sam explained that the rears came out of the box at full soft and the fronts at full firm. I drove around with the out of the box settings for awhile and it felt like SH*T! Adj. them now and its all
Right now I have the tire pressure down to 27 just to make is somewhat tolerable. I had read the struts came with the settings at the minimum so I assumed the front were the softest settings.

Also, the way it appears is that the struts need to come off to get to the adjustment.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

The fronts do not need to come off for adjustment, and the rears only do if they are "3rd gen" style. If they are the "4/4" setup from Sam they are on-car adjustable.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can anyone or mulitple people actually confirm that the fronts come from the factory with the firmest settings?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I wish I could help you. I installed my fronts today. And didnt have a damn 2.5 mm only standard allen's. I can tell you the rears come from the factory at full soft. And I left mine there. I drove mine around with no problem. Once I pick up an alan Im gonna go and play with the settings till I find the right one.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes 2 seconds to adjust the shocks before you put them on the car, why the hell didn't you make sure they were at the settings you want them at? Check the settings on your shocks instead of bitching about the shocks without even knowing how they are setup.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It takes 2 seconds to adjust the shocks before you put them on the car, why the hell didn't you make sure they were at the settings you want them at? Check the settings on your shocks instead of bitching about the shocks without even knowing how they are setup.
Listen kid, go check your PM's.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Take it easy...are you on the rag?
Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Honestly Speed. Calm down a sec. He's just trying to elicit help.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want I will trade you my DeCarbons with 57k on them? your call, ill pay shipping both ways even
Old 05-13-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Can anyone or mulitple people actually confirm that the fronts come from the factory with the firmest settings?
Confirm mine were.

Last edited by vikingramair; 05-13-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
If you want I will trade you my DeCarbons with 57k on them? your call, ill pay shipping both ways even
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Mark,
My Koni's came with the fronts at the firmest setting. (I don't remember what the rear were at.)

Our cars are similiar. Mine is an '01 WS6 vert, with the stock springs, which are softer than yours (wish I had your rear 1LE springs) and I don't have the added weight in the rear that you have (exhaust and sub), though I do have the sound deadening. I've played with the shocks a bit and am running the front shocks at six sweeps from full firm. The ride is a bit firm, but not harsh at all. I am thinking about trying a little softer though, just to see how it feels.

As far as adjusting your front shocks, if they were installed correctly, the adjustment window should be facing towards the outside of the car and be between two of the coils. From the picture, the coils seem to be spaced far enough apart that they shouldn't be in the way. If they're installed this way, you can adjust them on your car in about 5 minutes. Just turn your wheel to full lock one way, adjust the shock, turn the wheel the other way and adjust the other shock.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just recently installed KONI's as well (SA's 4/3) and the fronts were full firm out of the box, I turned them back three sweeps. I set the rears one click from full soft. I may sfoten the front one more sweep.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Hopefully Sam can chime in.

My car rides so stiff it's not enjoyable to drive, at all. It basically slaps potholes, cracks in the pavement, and hits everythig extremely hard. I am looking for help to resolve this. It might be the Koni SA's.

I have replaced everything in the front and rear of the car with new parts, this includes:
Front upper and lower control arms (OEM)
Front steering knuckles (OEM)
Front rotors (Baer)
Front springs (SLP Level II)
Front struts (Koni SA 4th gen)

Rear lower control arms
Rear springs (OEM 1LE)
Rear sway bar, bushings and endlinks (OEM)
Rear rotors (Baer)
Rear shocks (Koni SA 4th gen)

Maybe this can give you and idea of the time and money invested here so you understand how frustrating this is.
As much as I hate to say it. I don't have a customer named Mark Rogalski that I can find in my files. And it's situations like this that seperate price concerns from service.

I'll say this, you shouldn't have jumped on the guy who told you to check your settings. That's the first thing I tell all my customers (as well as recommendations, and what happens when you change them). So don't attack him because you didn't do your homework, or got the shocks from a place that either didn't care to, or can't tell you any good information.

I sincerely hope you can dial in the car more to your liking, but I can't help you do it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I too seem to be having a rough ride with my Koni's. Any expansion joint or pothole will rattle the whole corner of the car that hits the bump.

I have relinquished my efforts to try and make it ride smooth and figure it is just from the 17 inch rims and old springs and bushings (125K miles on my car).

Quick Reply: New Koni SA and more, but rides like a tank. Why? Help!