Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

New Camaro Owner....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Camaro Owner....maybe

hey guys i had a few questions. First let me start by saying that i know it isn't an LSX engine in the car, but i know that alot of camaro owners are on this site so that's why i chose it. Ok, i'm looking into purchasing a 1988 camaro RS. It's got a 305 TBI engine with about 10,000 miles on it (it's been rebuilt) and it's a 5 speed. Ok, first off i was wondering what are the normal issues with a car like this for this age. I need to know what to ask when i go take a look at it. I know that T-tops normally leak and i've already asked about that and he said they've been replaced recently. I Just need to know what else to look for and ask about when i go see this car. Thanks in Advance.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

the engine isnt everything, whats the real mileage?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
the engine isnt everything, whats the real mileage?
a little less than 200,000 on the body. The transmission was replaced brand new at 130,000 miles.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

I'd look out for a lot of things with that mileage, rear end, balljoints, bearings, see if the rear sags or if bouncy, I wouldn't personally buy that unless it costs less than 1000.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
I'd look out for a lot of things with that mileage, rear end, balljoints, bearings, see if the rear sags or if bouncy, I wouldn't personally buy that unless it costs less than 1000.

he's asking 750 OBO. Sounds better now, huh?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Check out the rear end reall good, find out more about the rebuild on the motor and trans. Check out the suspension thoroughly

I know you don't want to hear it but unless your going to do like a nice project car save your money for something newer. If your gonna paint it and build the motor (to actually put out good power not just feels like its fast 3rd gen power) and make it handle real nice. How much are they asking, you should be able to get 3rd gens for a G' or less.

Candy apple red 3rd gen camaro with an LSX or big block =

Also remember with a 3rd gen if its in real nice shape you'll get lots of compliments and you can pull the sleeper aspect. However if its only normal condition for its mileage and only normal power alot of people will see

Or maybe I'm talking out my
Old 05-12-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Yea definantly not worth the hassle unless your restoring it and putting an ls1 in it.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fibbado
Check out the rear end reall good, find out more about the rebuild on the motor and trans. Check out the suspension thoroughly

I know you don't want to hear it but unless your going to do like a nice project car save your money for something newer. If your gonna paint it and build the motor (to actually put out good power not just feels like its fast 3rd gen power) and make it handle real nice. How much are they asking, you should be able to get 3rd gens for a G' or less.

Candy apple red 3rd gen camaro with an LSX or big block =

Also remember with a 3rd gen if its in real nice shape you'll get lots of compliments and you can pull the sleeper aspect. However if its only normal condition for its mileage and only normal power alot of people will see

Or maybe I'm talking out my

Oh i agree fully. The thing i hate more than anything is an ******* in a 3rd gen with loud exhaust that has a 16 sec car. I plan on getting it and within a couple weeks painting it (my brother in-law has a shop and paints for his friends. He'll do it for free for me). After that i might daily drive it for a month or two and then try to throw a bigger engine in like a 350 or 383. I know that the 305 TBI sucks so i don't really plan on racing anybody or anything like that. i just don't want a ******* JAP daily driver . If you know what i mean .

Quick Reply: New Camaro Owner....maybe