Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stealing a 4th gen...how easy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealing a 4th gen...how easy?

Im not looking to steal one I am just wondering how well the stock theft deterent system is. Can someone hotwire the car or easily steal our cars? Im wondering because my neighborhood is okay but some near by arent and im am concerned about her and dont want to go aftermarket really. I was thinking about hooking up a hidden toggle switch to an ignition or starter wire or something just for piece of mind. Unless that idea is totally ignorant towards the purpose...your thoughts and opinions please...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive have 2 cars stolen from in front of my house. .they didnt waste time hot wiring them they got a dolly and just towed the cars out.. either put that car in the garage or buy the boot for it. . lol. . if not. .
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

They just "repo" it. http://www.sneekerlift.com/htm/pickup.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ What the ****, that's hella sneaky. Yeah I've heard of people just towing your car away. My votes for garage kept, if not, then do what you can like buy flood lights to scare off wonderers. Or get a dog who'll bark if someone comes too close. I also remember a guy on this board who chained down his car from the control arms i think or a hook in driveway and padlocked the thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

I think i might chain it to something lol as dumb as it sounds.... the car was always in the garage before i moved but now that im in the "big city" we dont have a garage. Im just a little paranoid my baby will get stolen by some of the "questionable" people" around here that are my neighbors. Seems ok buy Id be pretty torn up if something happened lol.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

that's bullshit, crazy how disrespectful people can be to do things like this. Everynight i cant sleep because im afraid some low-life ****** is gonna break in/ steal my car
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
Everynight i cant sleep because im afraid some low-life ****** is gonna break in/ steal my car
that's pretty sad -- you seriously cannot let it bother you that much, if you were serious..
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its easy slide a metal pole down infront any of our side windows and pop ur in its nothing a $3 tool can do it
Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gun5
its easy slide a metal pole down infront any of our side windows and pop ur in its nothing a $3 tool can do it
Yea all it takes to get in is a pole (or meter/yard stick I've found works best) -- but that's the easy part -- they'd still have to start it up...and I have no idea how easy/difficult that would be..
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line with ANY car is if they want it bad enough...it's gone!! They will just tow it away like mentioned and figure out how to make it run later when they have all the time in the world.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Bottom line with ANY car is if they want it bad enough...it's gone!! They will just tow it away like mentioned and figure out how to make it run later when they have all the time in the world.
Exactly.

As for the breaking into them, it's not the hardest car. From taking the doors apart most anyone can see this. You don't have to be a theif to see what kind of tricks might work.

Luckly I've NEVER heard of one being stolen locally and not many online ever. They don't seem to be that popular of a target thankfully.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

well i was just thinking to discourage them after they got into the car, any window can be broken or have something wedged into it on our cars. I was thinking of just pissing them off and makin them give up. I bought a motion light and will consider other options as well. also i will never pull my car in my driveway ne more because of the sneeker thing posted above....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
also i will never pull my car in my driveway ne more because of the sneeker thing posted above....
haha - yea that kinda freaked me out too... I only used to be worried parking at work (depending on hours, etc....I even remember multiple things from robberies to theft and this was in a retail parking lot located in a good place in town) since I use a garage every night -- thankfully my new job gives me peace of mind with a gated lot.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

take your fuel pump fuse out
The following users liked this post:
LT1DG (08-01-2023)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Without the key with the black chip on it, supposedly the car will only run for 30 seconds or not start at all from what I understand. I actually had problems with my key a while ago and sometimes it would take me 25-30 minutes to start the Trans with the key. That's my understanding off it. Hope it helps.
Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

When they broke into mine, the actually unbolted the cover under the nose of the car and cliped the horn wire which is the alarm when it sounds.. After that they jimmy'd the door, then popped the hood and took the battery out to kill the lights inside. Then took all my stuff in the driveway of my house...

2 weeks later the found some of my stereo stuff just 2 blocks away around the corner in a garage.. Guess what kind of car was sittin in the thiefs garage, a freakin Trans Am. So, he knew how to disable the alarm!

He went to jail for awhile... glad to see that.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
When they broke into mine, the actually unbolted the cover under the nose of the car and cliped the horn wire which is the alarm when it sounds.. After that they jimmy'd the door, then popped the hood and took the battery out to kill the lights inside. Then took all my stuff in the driveway of my house...

2 weeks later the found some of my stereo stuff just 2 blocks away around the corner in a garage.. Guess what kind of car was sittin in the thiefs garage, a freakin Trans Am. So, he knew how to disable the alarm!

He went to jail for awhile... glad to see that.
OMG! yes!! that is a great ending... i had my car broken into many times until one day i waited after hours. The alarm went off and i stormed outside. The punks ran when they saw me with a .45cal in hand. Pop'd two in the air (not a good idea but w/e, enough is enough!!) and they never came back., EVER AGAIN. Funny, not one of the neighbors came outside to see what was going one, and i dont live in a bad part of town.. heavy sleepers i guess.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Most of y'all on here have probably seen me post about this, but my '98 SS was stolen out of my driveway without a trace. They may have towed it off, but word on the street locally was that they were getting keys cut from the VIN. This was in Slidell, LA, and I hear that crew is still grabbing them (fbods)as fast as they can find them. I was rather hoping that Katrina had drowned the ******* , but I guess not.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fggfgfgf

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Can't stop a theif from towing it away... but if you wanted, you could rig up a toggle switch with an inline fuse and place it where the fuel pump fuse goes. Run all your wires behind the fuse panel so they couldn't trace them. Or just get a nice alarm system.

Quick Reply: Stealing a 4th gen...how easy?