Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i buy a ls2 or save money and get a ls1.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy a ls2 or save money and get a ls1.

I got two options right now

Local guy with a ls2 6spd complete $7500 with 7000miles LOCAL so no frieght

or ls1 6spd, can't find local so ebay solution. $4100ish plus $500 shipping

I'm debating because the ls2 is nearly new for a decent price and its local so I can check over it before purchasing. No wasted shipping money Its a 05 so its physically 1 year old. The newest generation.

Or ebay it and have it frieght. I'm sure they'll be in good condition, f-parts or cleveland sales looks like the two big sellers on there. And it'll probably have 60000 miles plus and is physically a 5-9 year old motor

Is there any big advantage one over the other as far as
performance upgradability,
reliability
just opinions would be nice

By no means am I wealthy. I'm very price conscious. Just thinking in the long term.

Ultimately, I want to either boost and 800hp or NA and 550+-. Its two completely different directions I know. I'm use to 4 and 6 cylinder turbos so have no idea what i'm getting myself into. I'll try it out in a stock/mild form before futher taking a direction.

Its going into a 98 s14 that originally had a 417rwhp 4 cylinder SR20det in it.

Ronald
Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Get the ls1, buy the forged parts and get them installed with the extra money you'll save from the ls1. That way you'll actually be able to run your 550+ rwhp motor safely.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

agreed
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're gonna for sure boost, then agreed LS1 + forged...etc.. However, money is an issue. You may want to give the LS2 a try; torque is a beautiful thing & you may be surprized @ the kick in the pants difference from the turboed cars you're used to. Further, if you boost the LS1, your gonna need a new stronger trans anyway...more money. Whereas the LS2 set up is fresh & good to go. If 550+ is a must, then you're gonna spend more money regardless of buying the LS1 or the LS2.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Decent price? LOL. I bought my 03' LQ9 motor for $1500 complete with the wiring harness.... How? I placed an ad in my local Craig's List...

Same ci as the LS2, iron block for durability, and since I was going to do heads and an intake anyway, it made no difference to me what it came with.

That's my vote. 60lbs of weight savings shouldn't cost $5000. Which is why I didn't buy a LS2.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd vote for the LQ9 i got mine local for $1050 with awd tranny that i sold for $500, and by the time i sold off all the acess's, harness, etc i had basiclly a free long block. lots cheaper, stronger block, can bore it more, lower comp ratio for f.i., all the parts from the ls1-6 fit. the only down side to a 6.0L iron block is the added 75-90 lbs, which i think is cancelled out by the advantages.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Given the two options you presented, and the light vehicle, I would go with building up an LS1. That extra $3K will do a lot. I would suggest that whatever engine you choose, if it was a running setup, get it running in your car, then go back and build it up. Get all the install items paid for and done, then pull it for whatever mods you determine are needed. You may be a bit astonished by the power the LS1 provides, as well as how different a V8 acts than the Turbo 4's you are used to. Spend a bit of time on your suspension while you are at it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Given the two options you presented, and the light vehicle, I would go with building up an LS1. That extra $3K will do a lot. I would suggest that whatever engine you choose, if it was a running setup, get it running in your car, then go back and build it up. Get all the install items paid for and done, then pull it for whatever mods you determine are needed. You may be a bit astonished by the power the LS1 provides, as well as how different a V8 acts than the Turbo 4's you are used to. Spend a bit of time on your suspension while you are at it.
I agree. Good plan of action!!

Quick Reply: Should i buy a ls2 or save money and get a ls1.