Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

good install walk through for tourque arm??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question good install walk through for tourque arm??

hey guys i need a good write up for a ta install.
thanks ,shaun
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty much just have the car jacked up a few feet. Have it suported by the tires very important(ramps or wood blocks). Unbolt old one and bolt up new one. You might also need a good prybar cuz they dont always want to slide right in. Very simple install.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

do i have to jack up the front or just the back?
i was thinking that i can put the back of the car on jack stands and use my floor jack
to the hold the rear then move the jack stands and have the car on the jack
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun
do i have to jack up the front or just the back?
i was thinking that i can put the back of the car on jack stands and use my floor jack
to the hold the rear then move the jack stands and have the car on the jack
you're gonna want to have all 4 wheels on a surface to ensure that the suspension is loaded, and they should all be the same height off the ground on a flat, level surface. if the T/A is not adjustable, it won't matter as much if it's level, but if you have an adjustable one, it's mandatory for the car to be level so you can get the pinion angle right

and you should never, ever, ever get under a car that is supported only by a jack......it's a good way to have it fall on you and kill you when the jack fails
Old 05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Go there and click on the torque arm bushing install document. That should help you out.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
you're gonna want to have all 4 wheels on a surface to ensure that the suspension is loaded, and they should all be the same height off the ground on a flat, level surface. if the T/A is not adjustable, it won't matter as much if it's level, but if you have an adjustable one, it's mandatory for the car to be level so you can get the pinion angle right

and you should never, ever, ever get under a car that is supported only by a jack......it's a good way to have it fall on you and kill you when the jack fails
actually, to correct myself (having just done my torque arm install), when you're actually installing it, you'll want to have the rear supported by jack stands placed on the body, and a jack under the rear differential (not to support it, per se, but to alter/adjust the angle it sits at so you can remove/replace the bolts....otherwise, it binds and you will never get them in/out)....this will allow the rear end to sag some, allowing enough clearance for the bolts to be removed....otherwise, they will hit the underside of the body before they are removed completely.

however, once you need to adjust the pinion angle, you will want the car supported by all 4 wheels, at the same height off the ground, starting with a flat, level surface

one thing you'll want to do if it's hard as hell to pull the front mount out of the rubber bushing (like it was with mine) is spray some WD-40 or similar lubricant/penetrant and let it sit for a few minutes....after that, just a nice, sharp tug should be enough to get it to come out. if you need more of a grip, once you get the end that's bolted to the rear differential removed, just put one of the bolts back through the rear hole and put the nut on it to make a nice little handle to pull with.