Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

windshield scratches.. can you get them out

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default windshield scratches.. can you get them out

At one point I had a set of windshield wipers that scratched the glass, they left some very fine scratches in the outer area of the wipers travel. Is there a way to get that fixed, can it be maybe wet sanded out or something.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Try using a fine steel wool.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
Try using a fine steel wool.
I thought of that or wet sanding with a very fine paper but I am worried about making it worse, so I really do not want to try anything, I want to know what works from someone with experience so I do not compound my problem.
Thanks though.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Curious as well....I have a small scratch that annoys the hell out of me, but I do not want to make it worse.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I try not to use the windshield wipers TOO much also. I noticed the scratches on my '96 Firebird. I hope someone else chimes in on a solution.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I guess we all need a windshield hero huh mine has a few scratches to! Hopefully someone knows how to fix this?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a little experience with this. Long story short, cars parked outside on a windy day got expoxy paint on the windshield while a parking garage was being painted. The painters insurance company had a glass company come to the site a few days later and tried to remove the paint specks with wet sanding and some fine steel wool. All that did was leave scratchs on the glass. They came back and tried some type of white hard foam like pad and the scratchs were gone. One problem though, at night all lights shining on the glass created bad star patterns making it almost impossible to see with oncoming traffic. So for a scratch that is small or out of your line of sight this may work but you would have to go to a glass place for the work. The sanding and steel wool just made fine scratchs that are very visible at night. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude take a buffer with extra cut rubbbin compound... if the scratch isnt to deep itll come out.... just work it a little bit at around 1200 rpms.... ive done it to my window when the windsheild wiper popped off and i got most of it out but there stilll a small streak of a deep scratch but it looks much better! good luck!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steel wool, wet sanding, fine compound.... dont waist your time trying to remove scratches this way, especially with the wet sanding, you will make it far worse.

Also, good luck finding a glass company that will polish them out. They can be polished out but anytime you polish defects out of a windshield it becomes a liability issue for the glass company due to distorted vision for the driver. If you were to get into a wreck from your limited vision you could sue them.

They should pay to replace the glass, if not take them to small claims court.

Next time you get overspray on glass first clean any dirt from it with cleaner so that you dont scrub it into the glass and then use very fine steel wool.

Quick Reply: windshield scratches.. can you get them out