Sponsored by:

Heads install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Heads install questions

I've got some parts sitting in the corner, and have some general questions after searching today...

Current engine:
- Eagle rods & ARP rod bolts
- Wiseco nitrous pistons (unsure of P/N, basically flat with reliefs, maybe very small dome)
- Perimeter bolt heads & valve covers
- Grotyohann headers
- Ported SLP oil pump
- Comp Cams OEM replacement lifters
- NGK TR55 plugs
- ASP crank pulley
- Stock roller rockers
- LS6 intake w/ plugs at rear of block and single line at front
- LS6 valley cover PCV conversion

Sitting in storage:
- TSP PRC 5.3L Stg 2.5 heads, 2.02/1.575, 59cc, Platinum Dual springs (.660 lift)
- ARP head bolts
- Used center bolt valve covers, mounting hardware & gaskets
- Cometic .040 gaskets
- Comp 227/235 .644/.650 110+2 LSK lobes
- Caddy Racing lifters
- NGK TR6 plugs
- Water pump gaskets ( 2 x 12588372)
- Front seal ( 1 x 12585673)
- Timing cover gasket (1 x 12574294)
- Stock Crank bolt (1 x 12557840) - except I'll need to re-use my custom long crank bolt

Undecided purchases:
- QTP or ARH headers (boils down to which tuck up to the chassis the best without rattling)
- Yella Terra light weight rockers
- Adjustable timing chain and oil pickup o-ring
- L67 injectors (39#@58psi)

The questions:
- Is the new cam 'big' enough to worry about damaging the Caddy lifters and/or stock rockers?
- I read that the Caddy racing valvetrain uses a certain rate spring with these lifters. Should I have any concerns about using the Platinum springs with the Caddy lifters?
- Do the Yella Terra Ultra Lights use the stock installation procedure, or the method posted for the older YT's on LS1Howto.com?
- Can I re-use the coolant sensor or should I buy a new one?
- When do you need to consider additional fuel system upgrades beyond injectors?
- Is it better to use a checking spring with the desired lifter, or a solid lifter with the desired spring when checking lifter preload, or is it effectively the same? I think I'd prefer to use a solid lifter so I didn't need to remove springs from the assembled head but I haven't found a place to buy just one.
- If I need an adjustable timing chain, which one(s) should I consider? New gear also?
- Can I re-use the Cometic gasket? Once for checking PtV, once for final assembly, etc? Else can I re-use the old graphite gasket for checking ptv and just subract the difference (.052-.040)?
- How can I determine my specific pistons without removal?
- Cam degreeing: clay, dial indicator, or both?
- Gap the TR6's to .045?
- Heads are assembled and TSP says they're already setup optimally with new seats. Many say to shim to within .050 coil bind. Leave them as-is or check them?
- Everything will properly install with OEM specifications with the exception of the ARP head bolts (3 passes - 30/50/70, right?)?

Anything odd I might run into during the swap regarding fittings between different styles of heads?

I don't want to spend a heckuva lot more money on this project, but I don't want to have to touch it again until it's time to replace valvesprings... from normal wear, that is!