Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

ORR Allignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORR Allignment?

I am taking my car into Speedware on Friday to get an allignment more suitable to road racing. I told the guy I wanted the same setup Boyce got, but he wasn't sure if he still had the file. So my question is if he doesn't have the numbers, what do I want? (besides as close to a 50/50 balance as they can achieve)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Not sure about ORR, but for road racing (closed circuit) I run as much caster and negitive camber as possible, which isn't much if you have stock control arms. I run my ITE '94 Z28 with about -1.4 to -1.6 camber (stock contol arms), 4.5* caster and 0* toe. This works pretty well for the speeds I see at PR (145mph +/-) through turn 1.

BTW, nothing against Speedware, but Firestone does "lifetime alignments" for a pretty resonable price compared to a one time alignment by Speedware. I paid about $250 for my lifetime alignment about six or seven years ago and still get them reset every year or so for free. A box of doughnuts for the techs to make sure you get your custom alignment specs helps to!

Steve
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racecar 31
Not sure about ORR, but for road racing (closed circuit) I run as much caster and negitive camber as possible, which isn't much if you have stock control arms. I run my ITE '94 Z28 with about -1.4 to -1.6 camber (stock contol arms), 4.5* caster and 0* toe. This works pretty well for the speeds I see at PR (145mph +/-) through turn 1.

Steve

Road Race alignments on a ORR car are a recipe for disaster.

1/16th toe in
.5* camber
MAX amount of caster you can get.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Boyce! I see you made it back....dare I ask how it went?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Road Race alignments on a ORR car are a recipe for disaster.

1/16th toe in
.5* camber
MAX amount of caster you can get.
OR for a little better turn in and front end bite you could use

"0" toe-in
"0" to .5 degrees negative camber and
MAX amount of caster you can get

B
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Bill, wassup buddy? (I think you should sign in as BS)

Max caster decreases rolling resistance, right? And the neg camber makes it turn better, but will it wear out my soft tires at speed?

But now I'm confused, was Boyce's calling for neg or pos .5* camber?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Caster makes it so your tires will lean into the corner, like dynamic camber sorta. If you drive your car hard enough, you will get equal tread wear
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Bill, wassup buddy? (I think you should sign in as BS)

Max caster decreases rolling resistance, right? And the neg camber makes it turn better, but will it wear out my soft tires at speed?

But now I'm confused, was Boyce's calling for neg or pos .5* camber?
Max caster mainly increases stability and the self-centering trait. For what you're going to be doing more is better PERIOD !

Negative camber in the amounts that we're talking and for the speeds you will be traveling will have NO detrimental affects at all. If you were going to be traveling 180+ I'd want to adjust the specs a little. A "little" negative camber will eliminate some push and make it bite a little harder on turn-in. You're going to find that at high speeds cars tend to float/push to the outside of the intended line and can use a little help in this area.

Zero toe-in as apposed to 1/16 toe-in will make the transition from going straight to beginning your turn in smoother and more predictable. The car will "feel" more relaxed going thru s-turns etc. although it will also "feel" a little more jumpy while going straight. I personally am willing to put up with a little fidget on a straight to gain some feel and confidence in the turns. Both schools of thought will get you to the finish line
Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the details Bill. Not something I usually need to think about with pizza cutters on the front end with no weight on them. I've been told this course has very few turns, mostly sweepers, and lots of straight aways, so maybe the 1/16 toe would be a better choice....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Ellis & I drove the car a little yesterday & all I can say is wow! The car hasn't felt this good in....****, it NEVER felt this good. Not even new. I went with 1/16 toe, 0-.5* camber, and 5* of caster. It's stable (even in the truck ruts on I 5), isn't twitchy at all, and begs you to throw it into a corner fast & hard. And the tire rod end they replaced got rid of almost all of the play in the wheel. I can't wait to hit the B 100 & see how she does...thanks Boyce & Bill!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

I think you need a 2nd opinion ...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
I think you need a 2nd opinion ...
I was thinking the same thing.....

Oh, and did I mention that from a 50-60 mph roll it will lay down a 50' black mark? Probably longer if I didn't lift.

We still haven't gotten the meth to work right, but with an open dif, I don't need anymore power. We would like to have the cooling affect for the 100* heat we'll be in, but with straight race gas I'm hoping it will be OK.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
We still haven't gotten the meth to work right, but with an open dif, I don't need anymore power.
What happened?

Quick Reply: ORR Allignment?