Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 engine and T56 tranny in 87 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 engine and T56 tranny in 87 El Camino

I recently bought a LS1 and mated t56 tranny for my 87 El Camino. I know it won't be as easy as swapping a carbed set-up but i want the efi, i have the gas tank thing covered with a mechanical fuel pump that i read about in the latest hot rod magazine, and i know about the possibility that i will need a new oil pan, and ac brackets, and im having a hot rod shop do the swap for me. My question is should i be worried about shifter location? Like being a 6sp i know the tranny will be bigger and longer which will require tranny tunnel mods but is the shifter coming thru the floor gonna be a concern? Thanks for the help
Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87Elky
i have the gas tank thing covered with a mechanical fuel pump that i read about in the latest hot rod magazine
Are you talking about the Howard Stewart piston pump? If so, that one won't work with the LS1, or any other Gen III/IV engine. That is meant for Gen I engines that have the fuel pump boss and the eccentric on the camshaft. Your engine has neither of these features.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have bucket seats.. it shouldn't be a problem of location. But as long as you have to rebuild the top of the tunnel.. just work with it. There is also shifter relocation kit to move the shifter to different location (McLeod markets kits).

I ended up using a Viper T56 due to me using a Bench seat and the Viper T56 having a more forward location of the shifter.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mmmchickenboy
Are you talking about the Howard Stewart piston pump? If so, that one won't work with the LS1, or any other Gen III/IV engine. That is meant for Gen I engines that have the fuel pump boss and the eccentric on the camshaft. Your engine has neither of these features.
Yea that would be the one. So now that is a problem because i don't wanna swap out the gas tanks as that would become to costly for me, so what would the alternatives be?
As for bench of bucket seats i will be going with bucket seats.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Also does anyone know of how i can make about 450hp with this setup. Without changing out the heads but i am willing to change rocker arms but i cant afford new heads at the time. I plan on having a cam swap done, but don't know to what cam and i dont claim to be a cam expert either. I plan on getting headers, the FAST intake manifold with probably 78mm throttle body, and a retune of my ecm. What else can i do to get 450 naturally aspirated horsepower without juice. Thanks a bunch
Old 05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87Elky
Yea that would be the one. So now that is a problem because i don't wanna swap out the gas tanks as that would become to costly for me, so what would the alternatives be?
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you can use an external electric fuel pump. Use a low pressure filter before the pump, a high pressure filter after the pump, run the pressure line up to the fuel rail, run the return line from the fuel rail to the return on your tank, if it has one, if not, then idk what to do. Again, don't quote me on that as I have never done it.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a 94-96 Impala gas tank, cost $50.. Not sure if it will fit the Elky... but it is baffled for EFI.

I am also using a Racetronix setup with has a stand alone wiring harness and Walbro 255 pump.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2353903/9
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 96 B-body tank will not work well in an EC because the filler neck on an EC is on the drivers side instead of the back.

You could use an external pump with your current tank, but then you would be prone to hitting air pockets and having the motor lose power during hard acceleration and cornering. I don`t know how bad it would be though because I have the correct baffeled tank and sender and I still have fuel slosh problems under a 1/4 tank, but then again I drive harder than most people.

You could also chop the tank and put a 99-02 LS1 f-body pump and sending unit in which is designed to work without baffels. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3
Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

would a grand national tank fit?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Modify your existing tank for the pump assembly from a donor car like G-Body suggested, it is not too difficult.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help so far. Does this sound reasonable? Keep my current tank and get all new lines and an aftermaket inline electric fuel pump(like from aeromotive) but anyone have any idea what i would do for a return line? And im assuming that i would need like fuel regulators and pressure gauges, but where would i put the pump and regulators between the tank and fuel rails? Tank---pump---regulator---fuel rails---back to tank with the dashes representing my lines. Thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM

The routing that you posted would work. You do not need a fuel pressure gauge and you could run a 99-03 vette fuel pressure regulator/filter.

For the return line you will have to drill into the tank. You could either drill a hole in the top of the tank and use a bulkhead fitting, or drill the fuel filler tube and weld a nipple on. Either way you want to be very careful to clean all the metal shavings out of the tank.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Ok im searching around for fuel pumps and regulators but im not quite sure what im looking for. What should be looking for psi ratings, and gal/hr? I eventually plan on nitrous. But for now i'll be running about 450hp until i get the nos upgrade. How much pressure would i need to run? Thanks for the help
Old 05-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I can offer you motor mounts, modified oil pan for a drop in installation and a bolt-in clutch pedal for the T56 to make this swap a breeze! PM me for details if you're interested!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 PM

I am not really sure what you would need as far as GPH ratings, but you will need 60psi.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Hmmm that solves the fuel pump issue. Jeez all this would be a lot easier to figure out i think if i had everything right in front of me unfortunatly im waiting for it to come from ohio via truck. I also ordered a cam kit from comp cams(http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...07/172-175.pdf) grind XR269HR, and i believe magnum lifters and plan on buying the fast flash programmer to go along with it as this cam needs computer mods. Also can anyone tell me from what kind of donor vehicle that i can get a gm 12 bolt preferably with 4.10 or numericly higher gears? Thanks for all the help thus far guys.

Also i tihnk im just gonna run like a 20 gal fuel cell in my box area near the tail gate, but ive been looking at them and im wondering why they all have dual outlets? Do i have to run a line to each fuel rail? So far ive come up with the idea to get a cell, run AN braided lines to the aeromotive A1000 fuel pump mounted in the box as well(with a filter in front of course) then run braided lines to an aeromotive regulator that i would mount in my engine compartment maybe on my fender then lines to a pressure gauge that would be mounted on my fuel rails. Does that sound right? Do i need to do the exact same thing for the other outlet as well?

Last edited by 87Elky; 06-01-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Teching In

bump
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, Im working on a ls1/4L60e into an 80 el camino. i have yet to get my fuel system thought out. hope i can use an 02 pump and sender in my stock tank, would make it simplier. keep ya posted
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
Hey, Im working on a ls1/4L60e into an 80 el camino. i have yet to get my fuel system thought out. hope i can use an 02 pump and sender in my stock tank, would make it simplier. keep ya posted
I'm doing a Ls1 swap into my 1984 el camino and i have figured out my fuel delivery system. I called this guy named Robert Hernandez who is a 78-87 El camino guru. He sales any part you need for el caminos...even steel columns so no one can steal your car, OEM radios, 8.5 grand nation rear ends...anything you can think of. I bought my fuel tank from him...it's a 22Gal fuel injected tank and sending unit that came out of a 1986 el camino for $225. it's better to get an OEM tank and not a reproduced one because it's guaranteed to work as i have heard of problems with reproduction tanks and inadequate fuel delivery while turning.

As for fuel deliver i am using the racetronics wiring harness and Walbro GSS340M pump ($155, after tax shipped) and corvette fuel filter/regulator (around $75 at advance autoparts). i plan on using my stock. I am going buy my Schoenfeld G-body ls1 longtube headers next week for $230ish, coated are $500ish. I bought my transdapt motor mounts from jegs for $55. The only things left will be modified oil pan or milodon or moroso ls1 swap oil pans from jegs, MAF sensor, and either spacers or a TCI flexplate for my TH400 trans and i'm done! The hard part will be wiring everthing up ...i'm having trouble trying to figure out how i'm going modify the extra plug on my fuel pump harness to make it work correctly. the harness was suppose to be plug an play but since my elky wasn't originally F.I. i am lacking a plug near the gas tank. theres's a plug that connects directly to the sending unit that i have connected but there is an extra plug that requires a female plug to it that i am lacking and i don't know what to do

if interested in getting OEM tank call Robert Hernandez at (310)672-4510 he ships any where in North America!

Last edited by deeloc1; 06-19-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

I spoke with a GM service tech and he came to this OEM solution. 85-87 el camino F.I. fuel tank (easy enough), 95 caprice sending unit (for the wires), and a 96 s10 blazer pump (he claims they put out about 60 psi). If this would work then it should be a complete bolt in operation and a OEM solution. Excellent in my point of view.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
I spoke with a GM service tech and he came to this OEM solution. 85-87 el camino F.I. fuel tank (easy enough), 95 caprice sending unit (for the wires), and a 96 s10 blazer pump (he claims they put out about 60 psi). If this would work then it should be a complete bolt in operation and a OEM solution. Excellent in my point of view.
Just bought my elbow, MAF, and 9" k&n filter today for $80bucks shipped!

After looking at John B's sending unit on his website, i've noticed that his monte carlo TBI sending unit is identical to mine...even the same colored wires! So there's another option if your looking for sending units for the OEM tank!

here's a kit off of ebay for the walbro pump $99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Walb...57965QQtcZphoto

someone also told me that that there was a off brand one on ebay for that was for the Grand National$69

Quick Reply: LS1 engine and T56 tranny in 87 El Camino