Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BACKWARDS!! Lt1 into an LS1!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BACKWARDS!! Lt1 into an LS1!

This is the closest forum i can see for this type of thing.

im looking to get the bare essentials for a 98+ body and take EVERYTHING from my full suspension 383 93-97 stuff and swap it.

I need to know if its as simple as it sounds...

can i just unbolt the shock towers and everything holding the motor, tranny and rear end assembly to the car with the wheels still on it and all the wiring hooked up and roll it under the ls1 body and drop it down???

only issues i really see are things like the gauge cluster and maybe the steering or something...please let me know if this would be a rather simple "body" swap.

im not interesting taking all the stuff apart, like i said i want to seperate my engine, suspension and drive train from my lt1 camaro to an ls1 camaro

school me!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:01 AM
Teching In

Unplug the harness from the pcm on ls1 cars you have 3 bolts on each side of the k member then follow your brake lines and unhook 2 from the aluminum box on the drivers side and 4 bolts on each shock tower and just raise the body up of the k member
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

i want the whole rear assembly too though

so, do i still have to undo the breaks if i want to pull the whole deal with it?

and how would i make the wiring harness from my car work for the ls1 cluster and what not?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

will purchasing an ls1 harness solve the wiring problems where applicable?

can i just cut off say the lt1 cluster pigtail and attach and ls1 pigtail?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Something wrong witht the body on the LT1 car? Might be easier to just upgrade the front end to the LS1 bodystyle, unless you have other reasons for doing this swap that we might not know about.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

rear quarter and front fender have bondo andthe whole car needs paint.

i will part out what parts are good and that i dont need once i do the swap. like i will have a ttop conversion minus the actual tops most likely.

i just want to get an all around clean car and just a new look.

it seems like this will be easy..a basic lift the body off type of deal but i have a feeling it could be more than that thats why im asking here.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the dahs over ect...if not just find a 97 cluster and harenss and see what you can make do...requires alot of research...prolly the 1st person to ever do that
Old 05-26-2007, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

im thinking the pig tail that connects to the cluster would be enough to splice in. but i have a feeling the odometer may or may not work. it would be an interesting process though.

and i can be the only one..people put ls1 dashes in lt1 and even third gens and they have to wire it up some how right?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95 Camaro Z28
This is the closest forum i can see for this type of thing.

im looking to get the bare essentials for a 98+ body and take EVERYTHING from my full suspension 383 93-97 stuff and swap it.

I need to know if its as simple as it sounds...

can i just unbolt the shock towers and everything holding the motor, tranny and rear end assembly to the car with the wheels still on it and all the wiring hooked up and roll it under the ls1 body and drop it down???

only issues i really see are things like the gauge cluster and maybe the steering or something...please let me know if this would be a rather simple "body" swap.

im not interesting taking all the stuff apart, like i said i want to seperate my engine, suspension and drive train from my lt1 camaro to an ls1 camaro

school me!
There is a difference in the floor board, rack/steering knuckle and tranny mount. Thats a few things off the top of my head. You will have to swap to an LT1 dash/gauges to make it all work right (gauges wise). Unless your good at wiring/rewiring the harness.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

just find another V6 pointy nose car to put your stuff in. or just paint your car.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

you might want to check your state regulations. some states will not allow you to put an engine thats older than the car into the car, but you can install a newer engine.

Quick Reply: BACKWARDS!! Lt1 into an LS1!