Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Exhaust Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Exhaust Cutout

My next mod is going to be an electric exhaust cutout.
Im thinking of going with QTP.
Do any of you have electric exhaust cutouts?
How do you like it?
Im just looking for thoughts and opinions.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the Cut-out itself. I didn't purchase the electronic part because I've heard that they malfunction sometimes and I didn't want to go through the hassle. So the cut-out cost me 30 bux and 30 bux to weld in and sounds mean as hell. I just leave it open 24/7. Save your 150 dollars.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have the electric QTP. I have had it for about a year and a half, so far no problems with it.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Question

A question that just came to mind.
If I get the cutout can I still keep my cats on? Im not ready to remove my cats, I have to go through emissions this October.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Question

Another question that came to mind:
Im looking at manual exhaust cutouts and electric exhaust cutouts.
Is the difference just the push of a button inside the car??
Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just had an e-cutout installed, love it. stupid loud open (LT's + ORY + open cutout)
then when i need to get a little less attention i just flip a switch.

i am not sure if you would be able to fit cutouts in front of your cats, and at that point I would think you would throw a code everytime you opened the cutouts, unless you have o2 sims or had your rear o2's tuned out.

the difference is you don't have to crawl under your car everytime you want to open or close your cutout...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

I have QTP...no problems. Trust me...when a cop comes rolling up behind you...you will love having that little switch to make it go quiet Has saved me a few times from a ticket. Also when I come home late or leave really early...i close it so I don't wake up the neighbors
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

QTP is junk, I bought one for my car that rarely got driven and within three months it fell appart while driving down the road. Do a search, im not the only one by far that has had problems with them. Also, my 570 Rwhp SS gained 1 Rwhp and lost 4 Rwtq over the closed Hooker cat back. It sounded like a dump truck with the cut out open so I rarely used it.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
QTP is junk, I bought one for my car that rarely got driven and within three months it fell appart while driving down the road. Do a search, im not the only one by far that has had problems with them. Also, my 570 Rwhp SS gained 1 Rwhp and lost 4 Rwtq over the closed Hooker cat back. It sounded like a dump truck with the cut out open so I rarely used it.
for your setup, as you can see won't make a difference...with my setup i have LT's ORY the 3" cutout and stock catback. I compared against same cars racing open vs closed...i pulled a lot harder with it open...but I also have the restrictive stock catback.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

As far as brands go, I didnt find a whole lot of brands that sold cutouts.
My favorite brands are Magnaflow, SLP, SW ect.
Forget about the Summitt brand, Im sure its junk, unless someone has the Summitt brand and is happy with it.
If I dont hear anything Im as sure as **** not gonna go with that.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grillrd
for your setup, as you can see won't make a difference...with my setup i have LT's ORY the 3" cutout and stock catback. I compared against same cars racing open vs closed...i pulled a lot harder with it open...but I also have the restrictive stock catback.
Do you think I was amking 570 Rwhp with stock manifolds and converters?

I had LTs as well as the ORY on my SS only with the Hooker aero chamber muffler on the rear. On a properly sellected exhaust set up the cut out is a waist of money, especially on a stock or mild modified car. If you like sounding like a dump truck then go with the cut out.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Mine sounds aweful with the cutout open. It is really raspy. It is manual and I don't open it that often.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My94TransAm
Mine sounds aweful with the cutout open. It is really raspy. It is manual and I don't open it that often.
I see you went with Edelbrock though.
Maybe if you went with a better brand you might get better sounding results?
Im just throwing that out there to see some more opinions before I go through with this.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a cutout sitting on my work bench at home, just debating. Lots of pro/cons for it. I went with the flowtech dual pack, dont know what i was thinking but live and you learn.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a pair of McCord Powerplates, the quality looks really nice, but I havent gotten around to getting them installed, I have the cutouts, but I am gonna have to cut them out and rotate them 180 degrees for the cutouts to fit.

But the McCords are definitely the cheapest and they have a light that lets you know when they are open or fully closed, that helps a lot, lot of times thats the reason these things break, because people cant tell when they are fully open or fully closed and they force the motor which can break them
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Do you think I was amking 570 Rwhp with stock manifolds and converters?

I had LTs as well as the ORY on my SS only with the Hooker aero chamber muffler on the rear. On a properly sellected exhaust set up the cut out is a waist of money, especially on a stock or mild modified car. If you like sounding like a dump truck then go with the cut out.
i was saying with yours it won't make a difference because you obviously have a lot done making that power with the proper parts...for myself, i have a stock catback so I can be near stock sound when it's closed. And also obviously mine sounds a lot different then yours would due to the power difference and other components...but far from a dump truck. I agree it's very loud when opened but when you're not trying to be loud and you just want to cruise or have a headache or whatever just press the switch. But those are my needs...the needs of someone with a 500+ rwhp car are a little different

Last edited by Grillrd; 05-28-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

look into DMH. they are a sponsor here i think. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about there cutouts. i have been seeing alot of negative reviews and stories about the QTP cutouts.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoegirl
I see you went with Edelbrock though.
Maybe if you went with a better brand you might get better sounding results?
Im just throwing that out there to see some more opinions before I go through with this.
The type of catback he has is irrelevant because the cutout diverts the exhaust out before it reaches the muffler. However I bet his sounded crappy because of the mid-length headers, it would sound similar to a cutout with stock manifolds and no cats = crap. My friends SS sounds awesome with just a cut-out and he still has cats, not too loud, almost a tuned sound. I like it alot.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Talking

So I can still keep my cats on after I get the cutouts installed.
Good to know.
Got your message Cookba, thx 4 the info.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

go DMH, i havent had a problem yet. plus they have a 4 year warranty

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cutout