Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(TRUE) True Duals!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (TRUE) True Duals!!?

I've got that feeling again to do something crazy, you know, like the time I put 4.88s in my TH-350 '70 Chevy C-10, so I'm thinking of removing/modifying the rear seats, cutting the floorboards and making custom reliefs for two 40 Series Slowmasters! I'd pretty up the interior again after the bugs were worked out to retain some usability. The much wanted, never really attainable True Duals!!! No damn x or h pipe either, I don't give a damn about the better hp from an eqaulizer pipe, I want it as loud as I can get it! What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: (TRUE) True Duals!!?

That is interesting about the whole raising the floorboard in order to run two full sized mufflers. May be semi-expensive but I'd do if I had all of parts. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big hammer will take car of it!! Cutting and re-welding can be done but the quick/cheap way is a hammer.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Teching In

if youre trying to get it loud as possible run straight headers!!!!!
dont waste $$$ on pipes and stuff
and u dont have to f-up your floorboards
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mufflex already did this to an F-body. I think there is a pic on their web-site.
Try this: http://www.mufflex-performance.com/../c-cars.html White '94 Trans Am 3/4 of the way down the page.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Mufflex already did this to an F-body. I think there is a pic on their web-site.
Try this: http://www.mufflex-performance.com/../c-cars.html White '94 Trans Am 3/4 of the way down the page.
Thanks for the link to the pics of the TransAm. Last fall my muffler guy did a similar one for me. Three inch x-pipe, and then under the axle. He put two short mufflers just before the rear exit. The mufflers are mounted with flanges for easy removal and replacement with straight pipe tips.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

The much wanted, never really attainable True Duals!!!
Huh???
Old 05-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

If I'm picturing this correctly where each header has it's own exhaust pipe and muffler and never crosses with the other header's pipes, then that is going to sound like ****. It'll be like two 4-banger engines.

If you've ever had the chance to hear one of the older vipers, they sound nasty because the pipes never crossed through each other. Sounded more like 2 5-cylinder engines rather than a might V10.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you mean it will sound like two four bangers. All of the original muscle cars ran dual pipes with no x or h junction. I tell ya what, I am running open headers right now. We can interview a random ten people and if any of them say that my car sounds anything like a four cylinder I'll buy you a case of beer.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

lol aright aright ill withdraw my statement. I d'no I just assumed it would be the same crap sound as a viper.

Plus, isn't it illegal to sell or purchase alcohol for people under 21?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't worry, it wouldn't be an issue because no body would agree with the four cylinder comment.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Some clarity: I'm looking for that carbureted healthy SBC or BBC sound, the kind of exhaust sound that picks you up, slaps you in the face, throws cold water on you and gives you a shot of adrenaline (not to mention a VERY bad case of exhaust envy.) You know, the kind of sound we all know and love that the words "Healthy," "Holy ****," and "Bad ***!" instantly and universally come to mind. I don't know about you guys, but I think the LS1 is a pretty tame sounding motor, even with the Loud Mouth and most other cat-backs and cams and "trual dual" turn down exhausts that I've heard. There is a '66 Chevelle running around here in the Sacramento area that when I first heard it (and many times later for that matter until I found out otherwise) that I would have sworn was either a stout 396 or some big 454 beast. As it turns out, it's just a 289 SBC with hooker headers and two 40 series Flowmasters! NO huge compression, NO wild cam, and NO trick stuff really to speak of at all,........pretty mild to medium. Granted, it only runs 15s, but it sounds very stout on the street. If a 289 can sound that good mild, why can't our tricked out 346s+ sound even better? My gut feel is it's in cats (for those of us who still have 'em), the y-pipe, and the silly either single exhaust with no real muffler, or the faux "true duals." I want MUSCLE EXHAUST, not truck and rasp crap! Don't take that as an opportunity to knock the LM, I love it to death, but I want more! "MORE" is the name of the drug right?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

This cat above me talkin about the exhaust sounds.......i like this fella's way of thought
Old 05-01-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just took off my 4" mufflex with spintech muffler off the car and I can tell you that my car sounded just *** loud without the rasp as my frineds 68 388 solid cammed car, when it had a dual sytem run all the way out back with hooker aerochamber mufflers. This was with an awful y-pipe that is getting replace witha dual x system with two spintech prostreet three inch mufflers and dumps before the axle. First off get that loud mouth off there. Very loud but not deep at all.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine installed yesterday. Two chamber full size 3" Flowmasters with X pipe.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Details please 383LQ4!!
Old 05-02-2003, 02:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Details??
Well A good freind of mine who is a hell of a fabricator (works occaisionally for TEA now, used to work full time) Slapped these together using 3" U bends ordered from Jegs. Him and his buddy did it in about 10 hours. Next setup would likely take alot less time. All welds TIG welded and we used my old 3" flowmasters. Although I will be changing to a differnt muffler soon.

Has a nice low rumble at idle to 2500 rpm but at about 3000 it starts to "sing" like a big fat 400 ci Formula 1 car. No more banging like my old setup. These are off Hooker headers...he may be interested in doing these and shipping them out once in a while. I could ask.

His next project is a carbourated LS1 manifold. Look for that in a few weeks.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Granted the wheels are hanging down but the exhaust only extends about a half inch lower that the front air dam.

Some BB Mopar headers he made

Old 05-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I just took off my 4" mufflex with spintech muffler off the car and I can tell you that my car sounded just *** loud without the rasp as my frineds 68 388 solid cammed car, when it had a dual sytem run all the way out back with hooker aerochamber mufflers. This was with an awful y-pipe that is getting replace witha dual x system with two spintech prostreet three inch mufflers and dumps before the axle. First off get that loud mouth off there. Very loud but not deep at all.
Daily, what exhaust are you running with your new Comp cam?

That cam (224/224 565/565 106icl 110lsa comp xe) sounds right up my alley, I want a cam that will pull the HARDEST down low, from idle to say 70-80mph. Street racing and quick response. The 106 is what I've been thinking all along, but for the lsa. What would that cam be like with a 106 for both lsa and icl? I'll take torque over hp anyday, especially for the street. Any suggestions? The only problem is that I have an A4. Hope to remedy that big MISTAKE as soon as I can afford a conversion to M6.

Quick Reply: (TRUE) True Duals!!?