Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny install from hell!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tranny install from hell!

Ok been fighting with tranny install for several days. We used the clutch alignment tool and it goes into and out of the clutch discs and pilot no problem. We greased the input shaft and tried a bunch of different jack combos to get the tranny in there. We had the bellhousing installed first.I assume the dowels are on the block not the back of the bellhousing as if they are on the back of the bellhousing they have fallen out or something.
We got the trans in there and sure its in there. I can go and turn the engine from front pulley and the output on the trans turns also. But there is still a gap between bellhousing and trans the bolts don't reach yet.
I was thinking of tapping the output shaft with block of wood and sledge.We can't push the trans into place it seems. The slave bleeder is open so not sure if that is problem. We have tried to play with the jacks under engine and trans and can't seem to get it right so it goes in flush. The car is not jacked that high but it did come out so figure it should go back in.
So figured tommorrow going to get some slightly longer bolts and try to pull it together .As said it has to be in the splines if you can turn the front pulley and output shaft turns.
So out of ideas unless you guys figure tapping that output with the hammer and block of wood might get it in there better. My stock bolts to bellhousing from tranny are about 1/2 inch or quarter inch away from starting.
I did read not to use the bolts to pull in the trans but think they are talking the bellhousing to engine bolts maybe and we did check to see its in the splines by turning the engine.

So what do you guys thing. Need to get my car back together and running already!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using the alighnment tool is fine but it can sag some and not look like it is. with the trans and bellhousing out of the way look at the outside edge of the disc to the edge of the pressure plate. make sure it looks the same all the way around. I bet it is off just alittle in one spot. (and if you installed a new bushing then you can bet that little hair off trans will never go in unless the trans is real sloppy. )

I only use the tool to help hold the clutch when I start to tighten the bolts down and making sure it is even all the way around.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

89 Formula 350 is exactly correct, the alignment toll does not work very good, at least for me it hasen't the last two times I used one. I would NOT even consider hammering it in. That's considered force and you should NOT need that. It should slide right it with possibly a little twisting motion.

Last edited by sunsetta; 05-27-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Add
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, sounds like what happened to me and my bird when i did a clutch, your probably not able to slide into the pilot bearing. like said above, the clutch alignment tool can sag a little, just take of the bellhousing, unbolt your pressure plate, and put the alignment tool in and make sure somebody holds it in tightly and straight so it doesnt sag and torque your pressure plate on.

then she should slide in nice and easy, just dont force it, you shouldnt have to, you can **** **** up that way, and fucked up **** aint cool
Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

loosen the clutch a lil, re-align it. please dont hammer on it or really use longer bolts. you could strip something out or worse, break the aluminum ears off the trans where the bolts slide thru. patience my friend!! i had the same exact problem! just loosen the clutch a lil, put the alignment tool in there and it will most likely be different than before and should be ok after that

think of it this way, Sometimes you might not fit into your girlfriend, but would you have someone take a board and a hammer and beat on you? Thats how things get broken. You just need to move around a lil and repostition! and with a lil time, itll go in!

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 05-27-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok not sure I explained this . The input shaft has to be into the pilot as when you turn the engine from front balancer as a test the tranny output shaft turns.And the tool slid in and out super easy...sort of like an old hoo#er. I think its just hard to not bind things a bit when you are trying to install a stupid awkward fairly heavy tranny on little safety stands and couple of floor jacks.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:31 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should slide in with ease. Do not force it in, as you can damage the clutch disc, etc.

Remove the bellhousing again... Loosen the pressure plate and re-install the alignment tool. Give it a little wiggle, and install the pressure plate again, using blue loctite on the bolts.

Tighten the bolts in a star type pattern, SLOWLY. That is the key to a trans. install.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok tried all the advice. I adjusted the flexplate a few times and each time the tool sllid in and out easily and each time the trans went in but would not go in that last inch or so. I opened the slave but it didn't really help. I even put car in first gear instead of neutral . Same thing .No way the clutch would go in there can't push it hard enough .Maybe because its twin disc and farther out or something closer to the trans. I had no choice. We pulled it in with bolts had to start it with some longer ones. We made sure the bolt holes lined up first and it was in the disc splines. I thought the pilot was splined but its not. Either is the end of the input shaft. So it just has to go into the pilot straight its not a spline meshing thing. And if you can turn the engine and the ouput spins nicely you are in the there with the input shaft.

Now for a normal stock clutch maybe some singles then can see putting the tranny in
all the way. It seems I did when we did my ill fated cartech clutch.

Anyway if this clutch is messed up or messes up car gets a 480 auto and stall and no clutch ever again in my 99 ta. Or if I get the right offer car is gone and going for stock c6 auto six speed. Getting too old for this mod crap! Without an overhead in my garage its just not fun anymore!

So seriously think some of you guys are a bit too worried about this tranny install stuff. If use make sure the bolts holes are lined up and you push the clutch in and get it thru the disc splins going into the pilot is no big deal. But we also had to jack the front of engine by balancer and the very back of the trans to get things to line up right.

I am also not that happy with textralia. I have sent a few emails and got zip back.
Their time change makes calling them pretty awkward and think it would be very expensive.

I am pretty sure they should know that the twin disc would need to be pulled in but maybe on on overhead you could get enough force to push the slave in against the fingers on the twin.Not very easily on the ground.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Teching In

pm sent
Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Teching In

I have just spoken to Peter and if you send me your phone number You will get a phone call first up in the morning (aussie time)
cheers jamo
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok sent pm to you Jamo. I could not wait any longer after waiting days and reading every old post and having you guys say you would send instructions and having Peter mention I think to just use the old instructions which are for the single I had no choice anymore but to draw the tranny and clutch together. I couldn't leave the car apart any longer and friends were sick of helping me. It it had been in a shop it would have been very expensive for labor let me tell you.
I put the clutch together same way it came. aligned the clutch plates to each other
and used the tool. I have zero idea what you are talking about with taking the hat off. The tool goes thru easily and the trans went thru the discs but it seems the slave was hitting the fingers and only way to push trans in there was to use bolts as working under the car just no way to push hard enough on trans to get it in there.
If the trans went thru the clutch discs and the discs had the splines matched up with the tool and put the trans in straight by using longer bolts as guides to make sure the trans went in straight then really can't see how anything could have got hurt. If it did I blame no instructions with the clutch and poor communicatioin from you guys since Peter I think said he would send instructions and never did. He mentioned only the old instructions for the single.
I couldn't leave my car down for days and days anymore.So hoping the clutch is fine .If not well can see what can be done about it. You should do two things, you should check for instructions with every clutch but really all you have to do is put them on your website. Now you can still email the instructions to me anyway since don't of course have any yet.