Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with underdrive pulley

I need to put on my underdrive pulley on but not really sure how to, is there a guide on here anywhere with pictures? how long should it take?....
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to this site: www.ls1howto.com, and in the cam swap, or heads/cam swap write ups, there will be instructions on how to do it.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

anything a little more specific on the pulley alone?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

can anyone help out here? i know alot of you have pulleys so maybe some advice or sites??
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

What kind of gains can be seen from an under drive crank pulley?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

a tad bit of horses but overall im not really sure.... still need to know install though!!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

It's all right there on www.ls1howto.com. Just read halfway through the cam install and you will get to the pulley removal. I'll summarize though because I am bored.

Drain the radiator using the petcock valve on the bottom passengers side.
Remove the air lid, maf, throttlebody.
Remove the serpentine belt by using a 15mm socket on the tensioner pulley (it's spring loaded, just torque it clockwise until you can get the belt off. it's the small pulley to the passenger side of the water pump)
Remove the water pump. Disconnect all of the hoses and remove the 6 bolts.
Remove the radiator support (it's what the air lid sat on). This is a real bitch by yourself but it's possible. It's not bolted in, just lift it and the a/c condenser (small radiator) out together and pull them apart. Be careful with the hardlines on the a/c. There is plenty of play without having to discharge the a/c though.
I used a bungie cord to hang the a/c condenser from the hood while I was working in the car.
Now you should be able to access the pulley. you should rent a 2/3 jaw pulley puller from Autozone. Get the smaller one, there won't be enough room for a larger one. The jaws will actually go inside the pulley in the slots rather than around the outer diameter of the pulley.
You'll need a big *** breaker bar and probably a pipe on top of that to break the crank bolt loose. Then get creative with a socket that fits inside the pulley bolt hole and rests on the crank snout. Use that as the pressure point for the pulley puller.

Blammo, now your pulley is out. You should DEFINITELY find a longer bolt (specs on the ls1howto site) to use to pull the new pulley on. If you use the shorter, original bolt and the threads actually reach (mine didn't) you will most likely strip the crank threads out doing it, which will suck.

Just check the ls1howto site anytime you need to install something. That site seriously rocks.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

ok great thanks for the help, is it really necessary to take all of the extras out to do it or is it really that crowded down there that you have to?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
ok great thanks for the help, is it really necessary to take all of the extras out to do it or is it really that crowded down there that you have to?

I didn't need to remove the water pump. But I did get the rad out to give me more room to work.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Put the front of the car on jack stands and you should be able to get to it from underneath. I just did this the other day, You need to go rent a chrysler 3 jaw harmonic balancer puller... yes chrysler. It is really thick and will pull the stock one off easy. Pull both belts off and the center bolt on the pulley. Then you should be good to go to get it off no need to pull all the other stuff out!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sprayin'99ss
Put the front of the car on jack stands and you should be able to get to it from underneath. I just did this the other day, You need to go rent a chrysler 3 jaw harmonic balancer puller... yes chrysler. It is really thick and will pull the stock one off easy. Pull both belts off and the center bolt on the pulley. Then you should be good to go to get it off no need to pull all the other stuff out!
yes see theres what im looking for, less work lol thanks