Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Retro Projectors On T/A Using Stock Sealed Beam Housing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Retro Projectors On T/A Using Stock Sealed Beam Housing?

Anyone tried to cut a hole through the stock sealed beam housings to mount a Hella 90mm projector? It seems feasible judging by the pictures I've seen people retrofitting the 90mm's in place of the sealed beams. Just curious if it's been tried and with any sucess on a LS1 Trans Am...

THANKS!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw a write up some what recently where the guy took a piece of plexiglass and mounted a projector in that and mounted it in place of the sealed beam headlamp, it looked pretty good, i dont remember enough of the details to really walk you through it, but i think it was pretty simple/ straight forward install. i wouldnt know about actually modifying the housing although im pretty sure i read something about modifying the sealed beam housing (with a dremel) to accept a standard halogen bulb, not sure about a projector though.

just a couple thoughts, i hope it helps a little
john
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpr
i saw a write up some what recently where the guy took a piece of plexiglass and mounted a projector in that and mounted it in place of the sealed beam headlamp, it looked pretty good, i dont remember enough of the details to really walk you through it, but i think it was pretty simple/ straight forward install. i wouldnt know about actually modifying the housing although im pretty sure i read something about modifying the sealed beam housing (with a dremel) to accept a standard halogen bulb, not sure about a projector though.

just a couple thoughts, i hope it helps a little
john
Its listed in the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

Here is the specific thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/714676-projectors-trans-am.html
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

InfiniteReality,

I just remembered that this thread was in the Lighting FAQ and is basically a projector inside the sealed beam housing. Its probably not what you had in mind, but worth a look:
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=1
(Its an old thread and the pics on the first few pages dont work, but they appear to be re-hosted at the end)
Some other pics of it are in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=projector
Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

dude you could get a piece of lexan/metal cut it to fit were the sealed beam went. cut holes in it to slide your projector through and mount the projector to the lexan/metal and still be able to aim it like the sealed beam and so on
Old 06-13-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

thanks VIP1, thats pretty much what i was thinking about, it sure has been a while since i read that. lol
Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
dude you could get a piece of lexan/metal cut it to fit were the sealed beam went. cut holes in it to slide your projector through and mount the projector to the lexan/metal and still be able to aim it like the sealed beam and so on
Thats if you can get it to fit that way.
Not all projectors will fit mounted like that.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

i believe the 90mm will
Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I have the Hella 90mm H9 projectors on my car. I thought of installing them that way, but I think it put them 1/4" too far forward. Maybe someone else can take a look at it and make it work. Either way, the headlight frame behind the adjuster will still need to be clearanced to fit the back of the projector and the new bulb and wires.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys-

I am thinking about putting some HID's in the TA..

I am going to use the Hella H9 projectors, as they seem to be the most popular choice..

I am currently trying to decide whether to modify the light bucket or do something like the lexan mounting plate..

I like VIP1's install, but also saw another install where a guy just mounted the projector to the bucket.. What I don't like about the bucket idea is that it would be harder to aim, I would think..

Jeff
Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

VIP is there a thread someplace about your HID setup? I've been thinking of doing this.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Tram
I like VIP1's install, but also saw another install where a guy just mounted the projector to the bucket.. What I don't like about the bucket idea is that it would be harder to aim, I would think.
If you are thinking of SCRWS6, links to both his setups are in the Lighting FAQ which I put together. If you are thinking of his setup, it shouldn't be any more difficult than stock to aim (as long as the projectors are installed with their cut-offs parallel to the ground).

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
VIP is there a thread someplace about your HID setup? I've been thinking of doing this.
Yes. Its in the Lighting FAQ which is the first link in post #3 above.

I am going to use the Hella H9 projectors, as they seem to be the most popular choice.
Admittedly, their light output isn't as good as some projectors (ex: TSX & E46) but they are the easiest to install and best packaged. I'm not saying they are bad. I have them and I am happy. Its just that there are better projectors out there (ex: TSX & E46) but they require more custom work in mounting and sealing. Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info. I have not installed HID in them yet, but I am considering it.

Here is a link to the Lighting FAQ again:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710357
Its in the "Hall of Fame" sticky at the top of this section.

I also modified the headlight shroud so they now look like they belong there.

FYI, these pictures were taken before the shroud was completed, although you can't tell that from those pics. I've only done the driver's side shroud so far. It took a long time. I want to see how durable it is first before I do the passenger shroud. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car much lately due to the nature of my current work (normally its my daily driver).

EDIT. Added images.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-04-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

TSX? From an Acura TSX? What are the E46's?

I like your shroud.. Is that fiberglass?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

TSX? From an Acura TSX? What are the E46's?
TSX -- Acura TSX
E46 -- BMW 5-Series (if I remember correctly)

I like your shroud.. Is that fiberglass?
No fiberglass there (I don't know how). Its the stock plastic shroud with bent thin aluminum flashing for the main area secured with rivets and molded in around the edges with plastic epoxy and a small amount of body filler over the epoxy to get the contour just right (filled in minor highs/lows/pits). That was followed by the normal painting process. On the back-side, the rivets are coated with silicone to prevent water getting past them. I should take some more pictures of the back and my process when I make the second one. A friend of my brother's has access to a vacuform machine which is something I'm considering. I'm thinking about getting the H9 high beam units, but I need to take some more measurements to see if/how they would fit. If I do that , I'll have to modify the shroud again. At which point, I may just call my brother's friend. Sanding/shaping the epoxy took too long.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I could do a fiberglass setup pretty quickly on this..

I am semi-thinking about trying to work up a "kit" for people who are interested in this and selling them.. Not very sure how well that would work, so I may not.. Just an idea..

Some laser cut lexan sheets, yadda yadda.. who knows...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
SCRWS6

InfiniteReality, unless you get a sealed beam housing with a plastic lens that you can cut into, instead of breaking out the glass( I tried it....sucks) I even tried flipping the chrome plated part of the housing around and installing a projector in it(looked like ***) not saying it can`t be done, but I found it easier to just use lexan, as long as the projectors inner workings is sealed, you only have to worry bout the outer lense....same as a regular headlight, of course I haven`t had the misfortune to meet up with a gravel truck at night yet(hate those things)
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
InfiniteReality, unless you get a sealed beam housing with a plastic lens that you can cut into, instead of breaking out the glass( I tried it....sucks) I even tried flipping the chrome plated part of the housing around and installing a projector in it(looked like ***) not saying it can`t be done, but I found it easier to just use lexan, as long as the projectors inner workings is sealed, you only have to worry bout the outer lense....same as a regular headlight, of course I haven`t had the misfortune to meet up with a gravel truck at night yet(hate those things)
Check this out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/491749-ls1-firebird-headlight-upgrades-general-guide.html
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM
SCRWS6

Damn, he did a good job on that. (glad I said: "I`m not saying it can`t be done...)
Almost stuck my foot in my mouth on that one!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure would be nice if the "non sponsor links" weren't removed.
can anybody post a link to a sponsor kit for this application? I haven't ever seen one.

I'll find the pics of my conversion and post them soon.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
SCRWS6

I think there was an actual "projector headlight" that directly replaced the sealed beam part, but it really wasn`t a projector at all, I believe LS1_SS is working on an aftermarket replacement part.....

Quick Reply: Retro Projectors On T/A Using Stock Sealed Beam Housing?