Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fluke or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Question fluke or not?

I was driving down the street and noticed smoke coming from between my passenger seat and the center console! I pulled over thinking it was coming from the engine but no sir there was a small fire coming from underneath my passenger seat! I was fortunate enough to put it out with 2 32oz gatorades!!!! I got home and took the seat off and it looks like the wires from the electrical box underneath the seat just caught fire for no apparent reason? I don't smoke or have anything that would cause' a fire so does anybody know if there are any defects?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am gonna say it was a fluke... Just bad luck with the wiring. What year is your car??
Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
I am gonna say it was a fluke... Just bad luck with the wiring. What year is your car??
thats what I'm guessing? an it's an 02'
Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you drive....TA or camaro? if you have power seats with airbag lumbar/bolster, then all those wires and such under there could have shorted out. maybe somehow a wire was rubbing and scrapped away the insulation. was there much damage? pics?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol What exactly do you mean by "Fluke or not?" A fluke is "an accident or chance happening". So if it was rubbing wires or a short in the box, it's a fluke. If it's NOT a fluke, then it'd have to be sabotage or gremlins lol I really doubt it's either of those two

So back to the question: Do you think someone would be messing with your wiring? If not, then of course it's a fluke

I assume you have electric seats, which is probably what caused the fire. If you do, pull the cover on the box and see if the internals are fried. Smell if you don't notice anything bad, you can tell a bad circuit board by it's smell. If all still seems fine, I'd start looking at the wires under there.

Was the carpet on fire too? If so, are there wires running under the carpet that could've caught fire?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
lol What exactly do you mean by "Fluke or not?" A fluke is "an accident or chance happening". So if it was rubbing wires or a short in the box, it's a fluke. If it's NOT a fluke, then it'd have to be sabotage or gremlins lol I really doubt it's either of those two

So back to the question: Do you think someone would be messing with your wiring? If not, then of course it's a fluke

I assume you have electric seats, which is probably what caused the fire. If you do, pull the cover on the box and see if the internals are fried. Smell if you don't notice anything bad, you can tell a bad circuit board by it's smell. If all still seems fine, I'd start looking at the wires under there.

Was the carpet on fire too? If so, are there wires running under the carpet that could've caught fire?
what I meant was excatly that! either a fluke or was this a problem that a few others had already had? luckily I had pulled over before the carpet caught fire just the underneath controls are fried and this is a 02' WS6 T/A, more then likely it was just a "strange occurance" and I will put the seat back in but not connect the power to the seats!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm glad my seats are fine, seeing as they're 9 years older than yours
Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad my seats are fine, seeing as they're 9 years older than yours
great for you! really sux for me!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
great for you! really sux for me!
They just don't make em like they used to! So, go buy the electrical crap from an older FBody

82-02 the front and rear seats are interchangeable, just a tid bit not everyone knows.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

They just don't make em like they used to! So, go buy the electrical crap from an older FBody

82-02 the front and rear seats are interchangeable, just a tid bit not everyone knows.
well the seat didn't burn up just the electronics underneath! so I can bolt it right back up just no lumber or the other ****!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I suppose, on the brighter side, it IS burned at the comfort level you like (the electronics I mean). I'm sure if you needed, you might be able to hotwire it to move the pump.

And I know your seat was fine, otherwise you'd have commented on your *** getting hot lol I was just saying, if you found seats for cheap from any 93+, you could swap them in. I figured I'd toss in the tid-bit of 82+ working, just because it's an interesting fact, and any friends with 3rd Gens might like to know.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose, on the brighter side, it IS burned at the comfort level you like (the electronics I mean). I'm sure if you needed, you might be able to hotwire it to move the pump.

And I know your seat was fine, otherwise you'd have commented on your *** getting hot lol I was just saying, if you found seats for cheap from any 93+, you could swap them in. I figured I'd toss in the tid-bit of 82+ working, just because it's an interesting fact, and any friends with 3rd Gens might like to know.
LOL, much appreciated homie!

Quick Reply: fluke or not?