Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning side molding

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cleaning side molding

So I've read a ton of posts about removing the side molding, which I am afraid to do... especially considering I am going to be doing a few shows coming up.

So in response I was looking for tips about CLEANING the molding if anyone had anything to offier... it seems that it "holds" on to dirt obviously much better than the paint...

Clay bar? Buffer? More elbow grease?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get rid of it. I was on the fence too, worried because it's been on my car for 10 years now. Just decided to pull it off this weekend, all the glue can be rolled off, and any remaining comes off with gOO gone. Detailing is so much easier now.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just do it. I was nervous at first to.

Use fishing line and wd40 and use your finger to remove the tape.

Clay bar,Cleaner wax will get rid of any dirt lines.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed mine and never looked back. If you want to keep the molding I would use the clay bar to clean it up. Same steps you would use on the paint. One of the first mods I did on the Crew Cab. The wife was like wtf? After it was done she agreed it was a better look without it.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok im with OP on this im a little on the fence, actually nervous as hell to do it and de-badge the car so I can put my 70s badges on. Does anyone have any pics of it done so I can see the difference. Not to choose anyone over anybody else but if 2001somws.6 had a picture or two so that I could see it done on an SOM car. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 for removing it. Mine had turned brown. I was afraid for a while but, now I'm sooooooooo glad I did it!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texass683
ok im with OP on this im a little on the fence, actually nervous as hell to do it and de-badge the car so I can put my 70s badges on. Does anyone have any pics of it done so I can see the difference. Not to choose anyone over anybody else but if 2001somws.6 had a picture or two so that I could see it done on an SOM car. Thanks.
Sure. Here are a few.

before.

after.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Launching!

hey thanks man
Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys... it seems as though you guys leave me no choice.... but now the next part is confusing to me....

I saw people mention about using 3M adhesive remover, some say goo gone, some say WD40? Does one of those methods have a better track record over the others? To fish line or not to fish line.... hair dryer?

Trust me I have done my fair share of searching to come to this conclusion/confusion.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default Side Protection Mlds. Removal

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Sure. Here are a few.

before.

after.

Wow ! That does look cleaner w/o the side mld. , but , unlike the Camaro's the Firebirds side mld. appear to actually provide some door ding protection . Course we never park unless there is a handi-cap space anyway . We snatched a card that hangs from the mirror at a wrecking yard and haven't worried about some ******* jerk or ignorant bitch banging their door against my camaro ever since .
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
We snatched a card that hangs from the mirror at a wrecking yard and haven't worried about some ******* jerk or ignorant bitch banging their door against my camaro ever since .

Ummmm... wow just uh wow. Guess it would suck to be handicapped and have yall take the last handicapped spot ...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
Thanks for all the advice guys... it seems as though you guys leave me no choice.... but now the next part is confusing to me....

I saw people mention about using 3M adhesive remover, some say goo gone, some say WD40? Does one of those methods have a better track record over the others? To fish line or not to fish line.... hair dryer?

Trust me I have done my fair share of searching to come to this conclusion/confusion.

Thanks.
Any of those will remove the adhesive that is left. Whichever you have or come across first. Fishing line might help take off more of the glue with the badge. Just spray the badge, let it sit a bit and then use fishing line to "saw" the badge off. Clean up the glue that is left, wash and polish the area and your done. You also might want to put some gloves on when using the fishing line. Sawing with the fishing line starts to cut into the fingers.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk

Thanks.
All 3 work about the same. The 3M adhesive remover is about on par with goo gone, and while I know WD40 will work I personally dont use it (just b/c there's other products that remove adhesive).

Fishing line is tougher than dental floss, and lets you conform a little easier to get between the paint and tape, or at least slice thru the tape.

Hair dryer = just unseats the tape and makes it a little easier to remove (altho dont leave it in one spot, or on a high setting for too long).

A set of Mechanics gloves or other thick yard gloves will help with the heat, and stop you from getting the busted thumb mod lol.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

My car is having a door repainted today... I wish I'd seen this thread first and I think I woulda just had the side molding left off :o
Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Launching!

just got done removing the side moldings and it looks a million times better. Doesnt make the car look cheap. will take some pics whenever i find my camera.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Default Handi-capped

Originally Posted by Texass683
Ummmm... wow just uh wow. Guess it would suck to be handicapped and have yall take the last handicapped spot ...

Gosh mister, I sure hope I don't take your parkin space . I'd much rather have my qtr. panel dented that to upset you. Yeah , right ! And I promise not to come in your mouth .
Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Launching!

wow i guess you prefer men ... personally your mom likes it when I come in her mouth she gets this look in her eye thats just, ahhhhhhh, special ... but why not just park out far enough away then to take someones spot that might actually need it. Quick go tell Uncle Dad that you were just bitch slapped on LS1tech ...

Quick Reply: Cleaning side molding