Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset the CPU or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset the CPU or not?

I oiled up the MAF with excess oil off the K & N. The car got hard to crank in the heat. I knew what the last thing done to the car was the monthly air filter routine. Now this filters been on the car since I bought it 4 years ago and this is the first time it ever gave me problems. A $5.00 can of CNC MAF cleaner and alls well again as far as cranking but I'm wondering if I should reset the CPU and make it start over again. Whats your thoughts?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Launching!

If it's back to normal, I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

any engine lights?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

If you go and reset it you will lose 30 minutes of your life, there will no effect, and you'll have to reprogram your radio.

All is well, leave it alone and
Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Launching!

sorry to steal the tread but how do you reset the computer and y would you want to?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch01SS
sorry to steal the tread but how do you reset the computer and y would you want to?
Unplug your battery for 15 minutes.

Its a way to clear any codes the computer might have, versus buying a scanner and clearing them. Say you got a code for an o2 sensor being bad, you replace the sensor and clear it so the check engine light will go off. Otherwise the code will clear itself after "x" amount of starts, but in the mean time the light would stay on.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

cool i figured it was just for codes. just was wondering if people were doing this for any other reasons. thanks man.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I didn't have any codes. I've been told by a good source the CPU will relearn on its on. I was more worried that the car might have gone to Speed Denisity mode while the MAF was screwed up. And I'm not tuned for that yet. You flash a CPU a set of parameters and then it learns from then on by itself. Thats why you would reset the CPU. And by the way if you leave the car off and pull the pcm ignition and the pcm batt fuses and the turn the car on but don't try to crank it is the best shadetree way to reset a CPU. No clock reset. Try that next time.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NC98Z
No I didn't have any codes. I've been told by a good source the CPU will relearn on its on. I was more worried that the car might have gone to Speed Denisity mode while the MAF was screwed up. And I'm not tuned for that yet. You flash a CPU a set of parameters and then it learns from then on by itself. Thats why you would reset the CPU. And by the way if you leave the car off and pull the pcm ignition and the pcm batt fuses and the turn the car on but don't try to crank it is the best shadetree way to reset a CPU. No clock reset. Try that next time.
I never thought of that. See, someone else besides me that hates resetting a radio. I got a little scanner, even easier than pulling fuses.

The car can go into speed density mode without you having a tune for it, its pretty much just limp mode, just enough to keep the car running, but I dont think it would have done that in your case.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Unplug your battery for 15 minutes.

Its a way to clear any codes the computer might have, versus buying a scanner and clearing them. Say you got a code for an o2 sensor being bad, you replace the sensor and clear it so the check engine light will go off. Otherwise the code will clear itself after "x" amount of starts, but in the mean time the light would stay on.
Actualy that is only part of it. There are also 2 fuses under the hood you need to pull. Both deal with the PCM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Actualy that is only part of it. There are also 2 fuses under the hood you need to pull. Both deal with the PCM.
No just those 2. Labled PCM Ignition and PCM BATT. Key off pull the fuses. Key on for a couple of minutes. Then key off reinstall the fuses and your good to go. But your rite they are located under the hood. An old trick if your car won't start is to pull off the MAF wires and see if it cranks. If it does its the MAF. But guess what now your in speed denisity( limp home or whatever) and after you fix the MAF by cleaning or replacing you'll need to reset the CPU.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Before I got a scanner, I never pulled any fuses, just unplugged the battery, worked fine for me.