Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

godawful internal sound 00 ls1

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default godawful internal sound 00 ls1

Ive got a 2000z28 with 84k, driven pretty gingerly, and driving home yesterday to install my new headlights, and i get this sound that sounded like a squeaking pulley. I took the accessory belt off, wasnt any accessories. Just got under it and fired it up and it doesnt sound like crank pulley. As i get undder the oil pan its louder, and it sounds like its coming from the short block. Does a thrown/damaged rod or other internal issues not throw on a SES light?? I got no lights but it sounds awful. It revs all the way with no problem. Any ideas???
Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Launching!

just took it for a run, no ses, seemed like it had fll power, got in it a bit, and now it sounds even louder, its like metal on metal, but no SES or anything, Any ideas? Willa shop even be able to diagnose this accurately without tearing into short block?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

when was the last time you checked your oil?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you take the AC belt off too?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Launching!

didnt take an ac belt off, sounded like it was coming from driver side top side of engine. Im suspicous of the AIR valve solenoid thingy on the driver side under fuel rail, but after making the full throttle run its so loud i seriously doubt thats it. Im going to check the oil tomorrow, but as I tried to pull the first driver side plug off today my Taylor 10.4 wire breaks in half... so more fun for me!! i absolutely hate working on this car bc you cant freaking reach anything, i dont even get how to change the backk plugs. Well looks like im out a set of wires plugs and whatever the hell is broken. If I find bearing material i dont know what im going to do, i like a car i can work on and not be cramped/burned/pissed off
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

what kind of oil pressure is it running?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Famous last words. I'm going to check the oil tomorrow. Sounds like you've spun a bearing to me. That squealing sound is the bearing spinning and metal to metal sound is self explatory. I bet you can pull the heads and push the piston down with your hand by now. Hope I'm wrong but I'm a member of the Spun Bearing Club and still have nitemares about it.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Well I changed all the plugs, they were all clean, my oil pressure is perfect, and I just drained it and there was no significant metal in the oil. I disconnected the red connector solenoid valve under the driver side fuel rail, and it still made noise. Can a shop diagnose a spun rod bearing? I left work and it was fine, drove about 20 miles without even getting over 2500 rpms, and theres the noise
Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Launching!

pulled valve covers and rockers and pushrods were fine, had a friend come over and i am pretty sure i spun a rod bearing esp after finding some metal shavings in the top end oil.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A spun rod bearing results in excessive clearance, so you will hear knocking as the rod smacks up and down on the rod journal. Then if you let it go and wear progresses, will get real loud when the piston top hits the head. Sometimes noise will lessen when you rev a bit, then make a real loud CLACK-CLACK-CLACK sound when you let it drop to idle. Never heard one squeal, new one on me.

Originally Posted by MemphisZ28
Can a shop diagnose a spun rod bearing?
Any competent mechanic can diagnose it. The problem is a crooked shop will tell you it's a spun rod, even if it isn't, then fix the real problem, but charge you for a full rebuild. So make sure they are reputable.

If it sounds like it's coming from the top side, and there are metal bits up there, that's where I'd keep looking. Guides can break, so check them. Spun rod knock will come from deep in the engine case. Good luck.

Last edited by angel71rs; 06-24-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

when my engine spuned a bearing i was like the noise came from under the driver site fuel rail, and from under the car to, your descpr(need word) sounds exactly like my car did when it spuned a bearing
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, when my car spuned the bearing, my oil pressure was fine and oil good, no idea why it did go, let a mechanic listen to your car, he can tell you rigt away if it is bearing