Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this normal? *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal? *UPDATE*

I purchased a hood and picked it up a week ago and had a few questions.

1) When I was installing the hood, I realized that there isnt any holes for the locator lips that are on the hinges. Is that normal? On a stock hood you have two holes for the bolts and then a smaller one for the locater lip so you can aligne it properly. This hood only had the two holes for the bolts. I know I can just grind down the lips, but what if I want to put the stock hood back on?

2) It may just be me, but is the hood glued on wrong? It seems like there is a gap in places that are facing the winshield, like not enough glue or fiberglass...is that normal? I can almost fit my pinky in there.

http://www.pbase.com/ttopbird96/hood_pix
here is a link to the pictures.

I have not called the company yet to ask because I'm not sure if this is normal. If it is, I dont really want to look like an idiot calling.

I puchased a hood for my old 96 v6 and i never had to drill any holes and the sucker fit like a glove. I'm kinda worried. Any suggestions?

*UPDATE*

After about 4 hours of working with the hood, drilling more holes, and expanding previous ones we got the hood on. But thats not good news. It DOESNT fit.

One side is too small, one too big, everything is aligned almost PERFECTLY and it is off big time.

I took it to a very respected local body shop to get a second opinion. They told me they CANNOT even work with the hood. They said NO WAY this can fit even if they tried.

SO back to the drawing board. I just got off the phone w/ VFN and they are extremely nice with helping me out. They told me to drive it on by so they can take a look and see if there is a way for it to fit. They said if they cannot get it to fit, they'll replace it free of charge. Its about 3pm Chicago time on June 3rd and i'm on my way out the door. I'll have an update in a few hours.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal?

I dont have any experience with aftermarket hoods, but that doesnt look good to me. Looks like it could separate while driving.

--VIP1
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen my share of after-market hoods (including my own) and that is by far the worst.

I would be making a phone call tomorrow if I were you.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

The part where I have my pinky and thumb in is the part that is facing the winshield. The rest of the hood looks pretty well glued, just the back is like that. The only part of the back that is secured properly is the middle portion, the rest (both back nostrals/humps) you can wedge your finger in.

I dont think its normal, but then again, i'm no fiberglass expert.

Picture DSC00043 is the part that is in the middle of the hood that is facing the winshield. It looks properly fastened. But the left and right nostrils dont look so good.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-08-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would give them a call, that looks like shoddy quality.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd call up and ask for Jean or Armando.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

ACK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be sure to keep us posted on what you find out. All of our hoods should be coming in any day now, and I'm lucky enough to live close to VFN, so I will be driving up there to pick mine up, and I will be sure to inspect it before leaving their shop. They have great customer service and I'm sure you wont have any problems getting that hood replaced, but let us all know what the outcome is.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, great customer service or not... That hood should have never left the shop. Don't anyone look at those hoods before they put them in the box?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any update to this?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I got my hood from VFN the other day and I noticed the same GAPS at the back of the hood. It's connected in the middle, but off to each side is open like yours. I haven't checked mine for the bracket holes yet but it's probably missing a hole like yours. It's pretty scratched up too, but I guess that doesn't matter since it'll be painted.

Anyone else get their hood yet?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Actually I have not gotten a chance to call them. Been out of town, just finished up some finals, and taking on a few more shifts at work.

Obi-Wan B.O.B.

I guess my hood looks exactly like yours. Its open in the back, just glued in the middle. Do me a favor and see how many holes you have drilled by the bracket side. I only have two and you should have 3 to fit in the locator lip that is on the bracket. Let me know if you have it or not. I'll try to contact them either today or tomorrow and see if this is normal. Seems like it is.

Constrictor 98TA

I also live in chicago. You are more then welcome to look at my hood and see what you think in person. I'd love to compare mine to yours and see if this is normal.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Is this normal? *UPDATE*

Alright NEW update. Just got back from VFN. Man those people are so nice its unreal. Jean and Armondo ROCK.

Armondo started hackin away at my hood a bit, grinding off some edges and what not and i think he almost perfected it. The hood shuts perfectly and flows so nicely w/ the regular lines of the fenders.

Seems as though there was about 1/8th of an inch or so extra on the lip of the front of the hood and that made it not shut right. We also re-aligned the latch part and it shuts a lot cleaner now.

As for the holes in the back of the hood, where it looked as thought it wasnt glued right......well he explained to me that those are to let some of the air release while driving so it doesnt lead to a "parachute" effect and trap all the air on the back of the hood. Good idea, but i still dont like the way it looks and will probably have it bondoed or what not.

But all in all, the hood is a GREAT fit after a little bit of work. He apologized and spent a little bit over an hour working on it to perfection.

BIG to VFN on Customer Service!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

hey danny let's race

-Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

hey danny let's race