Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get it in Reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to get it in Reverse...

Lately i really have to push to get the shifter over to reverse (use both hands) Pro 5.0 shifter. Any idea why? Everything seemed to look normal.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think on that shifter you can set bump stops on it. But you shouldn't have to use that much force, i'd say you probably broke something. In my car once in a great while it doesn't "slide" over into reverse from being parked... i just put the shifter in neutral and wiggle it a back and forth a couple times and it slides right in.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

From the FAQ that is stickied:

Q: Why is my transmission hard for me to put into 1st gear and reverse? It seams like all of the other gears are fine. What could my problem be?

A: Most of the time if the clutch is not releasing the first sign is 1st and reverse problems. Check the clutch to make sure it is not worn. Bleed your hydraulics and replace if more than 30,000 miles on the slave and 50,000 on the master. While most of the time this is a clutch related problem, check the fluid in the trans to make sure it is full. Transmission fluid should be replaced ever 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first. You wouldn't let your engine go 10,000 miles without changing it!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check to see if your ENG SEN fuse is blown? - it controls the reverse lockout solenoid. Happened to a buddy of mine when one of his 02 wires was arcing on the header.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Did you check to see if your ENG SEN fuse is blown? - it controls the reverse lockout solenoid. Happened to a buddy of mine when one of his 02 wires was arcing on the header.
Hands down check this first. If its not blown, check the pigtail. If it's not broke, check for power at the pigtail. If your getting power there, then I would look into replacing the solenoid. Have you done anything with the tranny lately. When I did my home-made skip shift eliminate, I accidentally tapped the two wire together and blew that fuse resulting in the same issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Seemed to happen after i was getting on it....but yea i have a service engine light..not that its related but ill check the fuses.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check your reverse lockout. That can cause some issues. Could also be a reverse slider issue. THere is a reluctor ring that causes issues and can move sometimes. Causes hard shifting.

Amber
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Fuse is not broken...where is the soelnoid? How do i check my reverse lockout?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Reverse Only?

I just had a problem with my C5. I couldn't get it in reverse. Everything else (1st-6th) was fine.

I had a Hurst shifter and swapped the stock shifter back in. Problem solved.

Bob K.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO reason that the Pro 5.0 would hinder going OVER to the reverse gate. Which is what you posts leads me to believe. You have to push hard to get it over to the gate. Once over there does it go into the actual gear easy?

If so, then Im gonna say you have a reverse lock out problem. The solenoid is on the top of the trans on the driverside. its the only solenoid that is up near the shifter. You just cant miss it. If you dont feel like testing wires, and all the fuses are good, you can try taking off the solenoid. I wouldnt drive it like that, but you can see if it goes in easier. Solenoids dont go bad very often, but they can fail.

Ide do that before worrying about an internal trans issue.

If in fact you can go over into the reverse gate easy, but getting up into reverse itself is hard, then you probably have a problem internally.

Justin

EDIT: You should be able to use a volt meter to check for grounding and power at the solenoid wires. Or, if you just want to test the solenoid, you can give the solenoid 12v and a ground. It should audiably click, and you should be able to slide over and up into reverse easily. The way it works is, the solenoid wires are colored pink and light green. This is for a 2000... The pink wire is switched 12v, and the green wire recieves a ground signal from the PCM when its supposed to activate. So, give 12 to the pink wire, and ground the green wire, and it should click for ya. Alternatively, you should be able to check for 12v at the pink wire with the ignition on.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-27-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Correct, just getting it over is the problem, once that is achieved it goes into reverse normal.....Just started working again...so ill check for bad wiring. I think i know what you are talking about for the soelnoid I have had my console out many times.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never looked under a 4th gen console from an M6 car. Both the donor car I bought and my 3rd gen were both autos. But you might have enough space after taking that inner shift boot off to get at the solenoid and wiring. Might not have to crawl under the car. But I cant say for sure. The plug goes right into the solenoid, so If you can see most of the solenoid you can probably get to the wiring and check it out.

Good luck! I hate those little electrical gremlins...esp. the intermittent ones, because they never surface when you want them to.

Justin

Quick Reply: Hard to get it in Reverse...