Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ms4

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ms4

Well i have 98 trans am. Ive got the longtubes.exhaust and a hp tune and im thinking about goin with a cam, mainly the ms4. But my car is an auto thus being the problem. I dont want to put a stall in my car. Need some help on deciding if this cam is to big for me sense im not going to do a stall.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is not a cam to be used with a stock stall. why dont you want to put a stall in it?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 good question
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

You're not gonna be able to run a ms4 with any sort of decent manners without a higher stall
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Just wasnt wanting to run one...but i may have to go with a smaller cam...Some good friends have had problems with them in the past and i wasnt up for trying it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

the ms4 is really too big for most people for daily driving. Ive heard of a few people going back to something smaller. Dont just go for the biggest thing youve heard of. there are plenty of smaller cams that will make almost the same horsepower and also be much better mannered
Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Your definitely going to need a stall for that one...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

yup. I agree. MS4 is to big for an auto,unstalled and used as a DD. There are some great smaller cams w/ better road manners, such as the TR224 or the TSP 228R. These will give you good numbers and driveability. good luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Launching!

i am a huge fan of the MS4. i am going with it for sure when the time comes. the power gains from the MS4 are awsome and i have found that it is a very streetable cam with a good tune. 2 good friends have them in there DD and get 22+ MPG with no street issues! all that said it is not a cam you would want to run without a stall or a set of gears!if you are trying to stay away from the stall becouse of your friends bad experience i would tell you not to wory everyone has problems with somthing at some point. but putting a stall in your car will help out ALOT as well as allowing you to run the cam you want. just do some searches and find the right stall for your app so you dont have any problems!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

With a stall alone I lot 1/2 a second off my stock times.

I also lost another 1/2 a second with drag radials.. something about hitting 60mph in 2nd just after the 60' mark didn't seem right...
That and the 100 feet of rubber and the pillowing white cloud eminating from the back of my car off the line told me it was time as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeahh sounds like the OP should do a little more research before he decides to throw in the biggest stick he can find in his motor
Old 06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya that's a big *** cam. Hell give the guy credit, you come on to ls1tech and pretty much all you read about on here is how great cams like the MS3, MS4 and TREX cams are.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Launching!

when you know what you are getting in to a big cam is AWSOME!! but its just that you have to know what you are getting in to. dont expect your car to behave like it did from the factory. there is going to be both ups and downs to any cam the bigger you go the more dramatic the changes and drawbacks get. altho when you are looking for FAST i have to go with the big cam i know there are ALOT of fast small cam cars out there but when it boils down to it the FASTEST n/a daily driver cam ONLY car right now is powered by a T-REX i think it is running low 10s and drives it to work every day! i just havnt seen that much performance from a small cam car yet. altho i am sure they require much less upkeep and attention to run properly
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

stop feeding this guy BS.. he wants a stock STALL, meaning a TINY *** CAM.. nothing even on the same boat as a MS4... yeah thats great big cams produce big numbers, but they arent THE MOST friendly DD cars..

oh hawaiianpunch.. what cam are u running?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

What exactly is wrong with a stall? I can't wait to get a Yank SS3600.

Also, unless you have a built A4 transmission and upgraded rod bolts you will just be wasting the MS4's potential by short shifting it due to weak 4L60 and '98 rod bolts.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

As long as you get a reputable stall and at minimum a tranny cooler your A4 should last a fairly long time depending how much you beat on it. Honestly the best mod you can do for an A4 is a stall, some taller gears, and a decent tire. Night and day difference over the stocker. If you want to stay stock stall then you going to be limited to max a 224tr IMO.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worst post of the day? Someone delete this thread. You're king of the "jump on the badwangon" people today just so you know. People you knew had problems with a stall so you don't want one, that's incredibly uneducated. You want an MS4 cause it's one of the biggest and baddest mianstream cams out. Do some research and get a stall becfore you even dream of getting a cam. 1) you'll gain more in the 1/4 than you will with a cam 2) trying to cam a car at all without a stall is stupid. <------------- that's a period
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Also keep in mind that the MS4 is so big that chances are your piston to valve clearance will be too small and you will have to fly cut your pistons. So that simple stick a cam in and tune (without even a converter) just became a pull the cylinder heads off and cut relieves in the top of your flat top stock pistons. Not worth it in my opinion. Go with a smaller cam, stall it and tune it. And if you have the money, might as well do heads to it as well to help the engine breath to a maximum.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
stop feeding this guy BS.. he wants a stock STALL, meaning a TINY *** CAM.. nothing even on the same boat as a MS4... yeah thats great big cams produce big numbers, but they arent THE MOST friendly DD cars..

oh hawaiianpunch.. what cam are u running?
in the 01 i am runing the LS6 cam but you should have known that by reading my sig. if your are inplying that i dont know what i am talking about i have had 2 other fbodys with big cams. 1 with a MS3 and 1 with the all mighty MS4 and loved them both. i also have 2 friends running MS4s in there DD. i plan on putting the MS4 in the 01 also. NOTHING i have told this guy is BS i never told him that is is the most friendly DD cam i told him that it can be very street friendly with a good tune which is nothing but the truth. do a search and you will find alot of people runinng the MS4 as well as alot of other big cams in the DDs making huge power with no problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

the MS4 will clear piston to valve clearance w/ out having to flycut, that is one of the main selling points to that cam.

people who think cams like the MS4 and MS3 are the end all be all of cam are just people stuck on the dyno numbers game. I have seen to many cars produce #'s on the dyno and turn around and run like crap at the track and on the street and get beat up by smaller cammed cars. Just remember...numbers are just numbers man, they don't mean ****. Go look into the cam only #'s and there are plenty of people running better stats on smaller cams than an MS4.

If you want to keep your gas mileage and A4 drivability, just do full bolt-ons and some good DR's, gears and a tune. You should be low 12's, that is potent enough for a DD imo.