Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Installed stripes... got some lint under them...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed stripes... got some lint under them...

I put on my two stripes on the fender yesterday. I made extra sure that all the lint was off the car and that the surface was clean... still, I somehow managed to get a few small pieces of lint under them and there are now some small bubles Is there any way to get them out, or do they go away after a while?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Installed stripes... got some lint under them...

getting out bubbles is pretty easy. Take a pin, poke a hole press it out. If there is actually something under it, it will be next to impossible to get it out.

I'm guessing it's just air though.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:11 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Large decals are a pain in the *** I use a squirt bottle and water with a few drops of soap in it. That way you can hold the decal in place once you get it on where you want it, and squeege it out at the same time. I use a 3m rubber squeege that someone gave to me, but any rubber or flat plastic will work. As for the bubbles, a sharp pin/needle will do. Just like TDOFW said, poke a tiny hole and push the excess water out. I'm guessing that's all it is since you said you cleaned the decal and car surfaces before hand. Good Luck,

Rob
Old 05-10-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO NOT USE A PIN!

A pin will create a "puncture wound" which will remain visble because it stretches the vinyl. Put the car in the sun so the vinyl will get good and hot (stretchy). Use a brand new #11 Xacto blade and carefully poke the bubble near an edge and push the air from the other side towards the hole.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Launching!

DO NOT USE A PIN!

A pin will create a "puncture wound" which will remain visble because it stretches the vinyl. Put the car in the sun so the vinyl will get good and hot (stretchy). Use a brand new #11 Xacto blade and carefully poke the bubble near an edge and push the air from the other side towards the hole.
A pin is gonna be any worse than a blade? Been using pins/needles on decals of all sorts for 15+ years including my current vinyl overlays, no problems here.

Quick Reply: Installed stripes... got some lint under them...