Antigua, Bahamas, St. Lucia, Jamaica ?? Best Place out of those 4??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antigua, Bahamas, St. Lucia, Jamaica ?? Best Place out of those 4??

I have no clue...Bride is asking (honeymoon destination)

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
8 Sec Tuner

My folks own a house in the U.S. Virgin Islands and its AWESOME out there. Never been to any of the other spots, but if you end up in the Virgin Islands you'll have a great time.

-Ben R
Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We honeymooned at Sandals on St. Lucia. Loved it!! We went to the Sandals in Jamaica at Montego Bay - not nearly as nice as St. Lucia. If you can afford it, my vote would be St. Lucia.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I've been to several in the Caribbean but my fav was Barbados. Nice people, Rum factories, fishing tours, lots of nice shopping and food and you can get certified to scuba in one day.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM

I've been to Jamaica and the Bahamas and my recommendation is take an Alaskan Cruise... that's where we honeymooned and it was absolutely SPECTACULAR...

If her heart is set on going to a beach, I'd recommend a couples only resort in Antigua or St Martens
Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Don't go to the Bahamas - costly with poor service =
Jamaica...ehhhh... It can be a crapshoot. Much of it is very poor and dirty....crime is a problem.

St. Lucia...I've never been but will be going in September for almost 2 weeks. I got a great deal on airfare - only $1056 for me and my wife. The all-inclusive resort there is $180 a night for 2 people.

Antigua, a nice island with typical island and beach type stuff to do. (not to mention the normal honeymoon activities )

I would recommend a nicer upscale all-inclusive resort though. Airfare to any of the islands are typically pricey though...$600-$700 per person from Texas. From Miami, they're a lot cheaper.

If you wanted to get a flavor of a lot of islands, fly to San Juan and take a cruise.

I would recommend the US Virgin Islands...they're very nice (but a little more expensive due to the upscale nature of the infastructure).

Barbados - older, somewhat dirty in places but there are nice resorts there with pretty beaches.

St. Martin (as I like to spell it) is pretty cool. You have a dutch side and a French side if I remember correctly. Plenty to do with a lot of variety. A little nicer IMO than some of the southern islands.

Go to Dominica if you want to support Al Gore
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Going on my honeymoon in 2 weeks, bride picked Ocho Rios Jamaica because she wanted to go to the Dunns River Falls. Wasn't my first choice, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed, haven't had a vacation in 3+ years.

I have never heard a bad thing about St Lucia.....
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

We did Antigua for our honeymoon. All inclusive resorts are nice there, but don't expect to do a lot of walking around and shopping or exploring. It's basically a 3rd world country with resorts around the perimeter. Driving is downright scary there, and the taxi drivers are all drunk.

I've heard great things about the virgin islands and St Lucia.

Have a blast!!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats. Hope it all goes well. My cousin might get married in the Virgin Islands hope we can all go. I hear the camen islands (spelling?) are awesome.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I've heard good things about the Virgin Islands.

Wife and I got married and honeymooned for two weeks on St. Maarten/St. Martin. We stayed on the Dutch side. We also rented a car. We never got bored and still had things we wanted to do. We drove all over St. Maarten, and also went by Catamaran to St. Barts, which was kinda of boring to me. St. Martin is a big enough island that it has 4-5 towns and 20+ different beaches. After a while we prefered the beaches on the French side though we went to most of them. Don't stay anywhere small like St. Barts that island is very small and there is not much of a scene once you leave the major port. Dutch side takes dollars as the primary currency, and everyone is fluent in English. The Dutch side is not very Dutch, and you won't care.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Fiery Features Director

Tell her to sign up on www.theknot.com and ask around on the "honeymoon" board. The girls can provide pictures and reviews of several places in all four of those destinations. St. Lucia seems to be very popular on the wedding board but if you are working in a tight budget, Jamaica is the top pick. Some of the girls have connections with several big travel agents that can provide good discounts for Sandals and Couples resorts.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice places in Mexico are cheaper than most places on the caribbean islands. Not like Cancun area, but places in Playa Del Carmen and even over in Los Cabos and Puerta Vallarta.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Jurez, Mexico Is My Vote!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Going on my honeymoon in 2 weeks, bride picked Ocho Rios Jamaica because she wanted to go to the Dunns River Falls. Wasn't my first choice, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed, haven't had a vacation in 3+ years.

I have never heard a bad thing about St Lucia.....
i went to dunns river falls in jamaica last summer and it was great. my family really enjoyed it. we stayed in ochos rios at the RIU resort. we leave the 6th to go back for our second trip.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Tx_WS6
I've been to Jamaica and the Bahamas and my recommendation is take an Alaskan Cruise... that's where we honeymooned and it was absolutely SPECTACULAR...
My sis and bro-n-law did that and heard the same. It's expensive, but well worth it from what I hear from others who experienced it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

We had our honeymoon in the Bahamas almost 2 yrs ago. Beaches were very nice, but no nicer than Florida. Nightlife sucked ***, unless you think hotel lobby karaoke is cool. There were also a ton of brats and children running around all day, since most Floridians use the Bahamas as a simple vacation (30 min flight for them). If you do go somewhere, make sure you go to a couples-only resort. Stay away from any place that has kids running around, it got annoying for a honeymoon.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
We honeymooned at Sandals on St. Lucia. Loved it!! We went to the Sandals in Jamaica at Montego Bay - not nearly as nice as St. Lucia. If you can afford it, my vote would be St. Lucia.
St. Lucia gets my vote too! We honeymooned there too! Just a great and all sorts of things to do there. Best part is that it is ALL inclusive....ALL you can DRINK and DRINK...I mean, eat the entire time!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go to a resort in Jamaica, it would probably be ok. We went to Montego Bay on a cruise, so we were subjected to the endless begging and expecting tips for any and all things. I'll never go back.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We had our honeymoon in the Bahamas almost 2 yrs ago. Beaches were very nice, but no nicer than Florida. Nightlife sucked ***, unless you think hotel lobby karaoke is cool. There were also a ton of brats and children running around all day, since most Floridians use the Bahamas as a simple vacation (30 min flight for them). If you do go somewhere, make sure you go to a couples-only resort. Stay away from any place that has kids running around, it got annoying for a honeymoon.
That's what's nice about the Sandals resorts - no damn kids! Plus, as mentioned, it's all-inclusive so no worry about bringing money for dinner, drinks, lunch, etc. We did an excursion through the mountains on a mountain bike. Very cool scenery and workout! One thing that I think is common on all the islands in the Caribbean is that the vehicle of choice is the Toyota minivan! There are TONS of those things and they all drive crazy!!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

St. Lucia has some nice all inclusive resorts;private beaches etc. Nice place and everybody I encountered was nice.