Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket ss hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket ss hood?

ebay ss hood a guy is selling this exact hood locally and said he would give it to me for 250. so should i do this? is it a descent hood? any problems i should know about? and does anyone know if it will bolt right on? i appreciate the help in advance.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Check the fitment to see if it will bolt right up. Make sure it's not warped or would fit shitty. That seems awfully cheap.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a crap shoot for sure. My friend just ordered a hood off ebay as well for roughly the same price, it looked just like that one, but it was a different seller. When her hood arrived, it was boxed within another box. There was no protection to speak off aside of the two boxes and a little styrofoam thingy stuck to each of the four corners. The hood had been dropped apparently due to some pretty nasty spiderweb cracking at the center bottom of the hood where it meets the nose of the car. There was also a pretty deep nick at the front of the hood and also some material missing on the corners closesed to the windshield of the car. The hood does not fit well at all, even after messing with it for quite some time. The driver side corner near the windshield is up about a 1/4" too high. On both sides, the hood fits to low in the middle when compared to the fender, but fits fine where it joins the headlights. The lower passenger side of the hood sits too high....there's just no way to align that thing properly. The back of the hood scoop also has a misshaped fiberglass edge in the middle of it that does not belong there. Overall, it's a hood that I would not even thing about putting on my car. I paid roughly 800 bucks for a Suncoast Creations SS hood, and while not perfect, at least it fits near perfect after some work, and it wasn't any pieces or had any cracks in it. After quite a bit of body work it looks damn good.

I know it's expensive, but if you want your car to look good, you have to start out with a quality pieces. Going by the pics I see in the link you provided, that hood seems to have the exact same casting as the one my friend recieved, this is right away noticeable by the two indentions that are in the middle of the air horns on the underside of the hood. I don't think a real SS hood has those.

If you want a OEM style hood, spend the money and go with ASCD, if you want a hood that's a bit more aggressive, get a Suncoast Creations hood. Both companies are sponsors here if I am not mistaken.

Manny
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

well thanks guys and yeah i thought it sounded way to cheap too. i might go take a look at it and see if it looks descent. i know it wont fit correctly but i thought that maybe my dad would be able to get it to fit somehow since he is a bodyman and a painter. i guess we will see. thanks again!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are lucky you can go and look at it first before buying it, she bought it unseen.

It looked fairly straight with just the gelcoat on it, and the painter didn't do much body work to it aside from the holes and the spiderweb cracking (which proved useless, the showed right back up after paint), but once the hood was painted you can see little dimples galore. If you buy that thing, make sure you put lots of hours in bodywork in it to make it straight, I am sure it will need it.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna go with ASCD SS hood!! i was wondering if somebody can post pics of the fitment of that hood!!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought mine from SLP it fits perfect. its was expensive but def. worth it. i wouldnt want ugly fucked up gaps on my car
Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it was a piece of ****. Im just gonna keep my eyes out for an OEM or sunoco

Quick Reply: aftermarket ss hood?