Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flanging up the headers and Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Flanging up the headers and Y

How many people around here have had some flanges added to both the header end of the Y pipe, and the cat-back end of the Y pipe?

Reason I ask is because I was thinking about doing this to my Pacesetter headers and Pacesetter ORY. I'm tired of it leaking all over the place and I really didnt want to weld anything because its so perminant. I've got band clamps on every joint down there and I swear they do nothing but leak...even with the aluminum foil.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you mean like these?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

just incase the link dont work here is the part number FLO-15925

and i hear you about the exhaust leak, it sucks *****! i have my TD's welded all the way up minus the headers area and it pisses me off to hear the tick tick tick when i'm driving....right below my heals!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had flanges added to my QTPs when I had the new Y pipe made. I didn't have a problem with leaks before but I like the flanges
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

got pix?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was talking about. I was thinking about the 3 bolt flanges too... but I think I like the idea of a donut gasket over a flat gasket, so I would probably go for those that you posted up. Why don't they already come like that?... I know that all the Y pipes are made for slip fit, but if all the header manifacturers made them this way then it would become an industry standard.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

so you could spend twice the amount of time having to redo everything the right way, with flanges!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

I know that there are plenty of people who claim that their exhaust doesnt leak with band clamps, but I dont know how the heck they did it. One thing I was considering... The exhaust shop that does the work is going to have to trim the Y pipe where it meets the headers... I know the lame shop in my town would want to just hack the pipe off, leaving the Y pipe portion still on the headers, then weld in the flange.

Oh, I like the idea of this 2 bolt flange because it would still allow adjustments. Freakin sweet!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by reject
got pix?

I don't have any pics right now, I just had the work done a couple weeks ago. When I get some time I'll get some pictures with my cell phone my digital camera broke
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

sweet, well i ordered mine up and should be getting them in friday and i'll probably install then on saterday if it dosnt rain....it better not rain or else there will be some serious *** kicking!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. Reject, are you installing these yourself? how are you going about doing it, is it fairly easy? all info will help.
2. not trying to steal the thread, but i'm thinking about going with pacesetter LT's and the ORY. do they leak much, once put on or what?!?! i hope not.
3. what should i expect out of this setup...btw, i have magnaflow catback... thx guys.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by reject
sweet, well i ordered mine up and should be getting them in friday and i'll probably install then on saterday if it dosnt rain....it better not rain or else there will be some serious *** kicking!

Did you get the ball flanges or 3 bolt?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ball flange.

I'll be installing them myself, dosnt look very hard to do just welding it up...may have to drop the driver side header to get to the top...or not, we'll see

I was under my car yesterday and had my hand runnign back and forth around where the headers and the pipes meet, you could feel the exhaust pulses REALLY strong on both banks!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

I cant even imagine what a car sounds like that doesnt leak exhaust, lol. It must be very nice!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is v-clamps. Alittle more expensive, but they wont rust, dont need gaskets for a leak free fit, clamp HARD, are good for tight spaces and it allows the y-pipe to drop straight down so there is no pulling or yanking.

Got them on the headers, and between the y-pipe and the over the axle pipe.

J.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think I've ever seen those before. Where do you get them?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I almost went with the V band clamps but they are expensive and I didn't want to wait any longer.

I really never had a problem with my band clamps though. They didn't leak and the one leak I had was from where I hit something with the exhaust and it bent up the joint which caused a leak.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I dont think I've ever seen those before. Where do you get them?

http://www.burnsstainless.com/Hardwa...ps/clamps.html

I dont have these on my car but would love to do it when I install the headers. The same design is used on aircraft bleed air lines. Works great.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Holy crap those are expensive!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V-band clamps are the ****. Had them on my old supra, zero leak, effortless to drop exhaust pieces, took almost no effort to attach them, and can't beat all stainless. They are expensive, but IMO well worth it over flanges which leaked all the time on me on my old LT1. Then again, I hear you on these slip fittings leaking all over the place. I get them as good as I can get and just put up with it for now.

-J
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt use burns stainless. Although I kind of wish I did. I got them from summit. They are like $40 a set from there. But...the catch is the flanges dont have any pipe on them. So they are just flanges. Makes welding them a bit of a challenge. Also the flanges are mild steel. But it wasnt a big deal to me. I wanted to make everything stainless...but the flowmaster merge collector was mild, so that botched that plan anyway.

All I know is, these things hold and seal like crazy. I was told they would be over kill for exhaust, but I figured if they can hold major boost, they would never leak on my exhaust. They are super easy to install. Just need a 1/2" wrench and your good to go.

J.