Advice needed about wreck. (insurance)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice needed about wreck. (insurance)

I was in a wreck monday etc etc. called the police, and no report was filed since the cars were driveable and no one was injured.

Now from what ive been told my rates are going to go up even though it wasn't my fault. And that the insurance companies are to deal with it..

What should i do, i dont want to take the bullet for something i didnt want to happen.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah its a pretty shitty situation. now you see how the insurance companies make all theyre money. I would reccomend calling some different insurance companies and see what their rates are, because remember they have no way of finding out about the wreck because no ticket was given.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Mustang Moderator

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
I was in a wreck monday etc etc. called the police, and no report was filed since the cars were driveable and no one was injured.

Now from what ive been told my rates are going to go up even though it wasn't my fault. And that the insurance companies are to deal with it..

What should i do, i dont want to take the bullet for something i didnt want to happen.
Need more details of the accident....was it 100% their fault?? Did they have insurance...if so and it was 100% their fault you should be able to go thru their insurance company and not have to file on your own insurance company...and your rates shouldn't go up....
The police should have an accident report of some kind no matter how "minor" it was....

Good luck...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an accident last tuesday and it was his fault except he didnt have insurance. My insurance company said that no matter what my rates wouldnt go up and they would do everything in their power to get the money from the guy. If it is 100% not your fault and their insurance company does pay for it then your rates shouldnt increase. Good luck though keep us informed.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

was going down rosemeade headed to old denton, and this old Q45 comes barreling across the opening in the median and gets into the left lane, then as im at her bumper, she darts into my lane. with my horn blairing she continued to go until she hit me. cop said she was at fault
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Teching In

These situations aren't always easy. The damage to her car is in the rear which usually points the finger at you but she clearly made an unsafe lane change which spins the blame back toward her.

Many times, insurance companies will settle this on a percentage basis.

For example: They'll say she was 80% at fault for the unsafe lane change but they'll also say you were 20% at fault for not anticipating her lane change or being able to immediately slow down. (some BS like that)

If this is the case, she has the majority of the percentage and would be at fault for the accident. Your insurance rates should not increase.

Your insurance company would pay for your damage but then they would go after her company to retrieve whatever percentage they deemed her to be at fault. (This is called subrogation)

So how do you find out what the percentages were??

Let's say your front end repairs are $3,200 and your deductible for collision coverage is $500. You pay the $500 to the body shop but a couple weeks later you get a check in the mail for $450.

$450 is 90% of $500 so you'll know right there that they found the other driver 90% at fault.

One last tip...Always make a photocopy of the subrogation check you get to be able to prove it wasn't your fault if an insurance company ever asks you.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it's completely her fault, her insurance company will pay for everything & your insurance company will never hear about the accident. That's what happened when I was in a wreck, but the other guy got a ticket.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

im hopin tomorrow to file a claim against her with her insurance company. and my deductable is $1000
Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a lazy cop, trying to save himself some paperwork to me....the cop should always write a report for any call regardless of the severity of it.

that's the main reason why they're there in the first place, so that a "trusted" authority can create a permanent, written record of what happened, in case there are any bodily injuries that happen after-the-fact (like whiplash cases that sometimes don't appear for hours, or even days after the accident), and to document the damage done, so that people can't defraud insurance companies by beating the **** out of their own vehicle after the accident happened, just so they can collect more money.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

ive been in two accidents. Niether were my fault and my insurance never went up. And yes both accidents are on my record becasue i made insurance claims on both of them.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

That makes no sense. Even when I was in a tiny fender bender, the cops still came and filed a report. And yeah, your insurance company has nothing to do with this accident as long as they have insurance. Just call their claims dept and it will be taken care of from there.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be a claims adjuster and I wanted to comment on a couple things here.

1. Someone made a comment about if they didn't issue you a ticket, another insurance company can't find out about it. That's completely BS. If a claim is filed on a person or a vehicle, regardless of a ticket, ANY insurance company can get ahold of it.

2. Sadly, the rule of calling both insurance companies is what's going to screw you here. Even if you are deemed to be 0% at fault, you will still have a claim on your record even though it was closed without payment and you weren't at fault. That's why you ONLY call the person's insurance who is at fault, if that can be determined. No reason for both people's rates to go up. Now a competant agent can get around the 0% at fault and can sometimes have that not be a factor in your premium later on.

3. ALWAYS file a police report. If two cars hit each other, no matter the severity, ALWAYS ALWAYS file one. Right now its your word against hers. Who do you think her insurance company will believe? Who do you think YOUR insurance company will belive

4. Anyone who was in either car in addition to the drivers are considered biased witnesses and can not be used to determine fault. So hopefully you have someone else that can give you some help there.

I sincerely hope for the best for you, but it sounds as if now it may be a 50/50 split. She shouldn't have changed, but they could fault you for not anticipating or not being attentive enough (sadly I've seen it). Post up any other information you might have and I'd be happy to help if I can.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmxer8699

Texas law requires an accident report for any damages that exceed $1000. I got in a wreck a few years ago in Dallas (Taxi with a foreign driver hit me). He was all pissed off that we were calling the cops, and thats when the officer told me that.... both cars were drivable, and the officer still did the report.... MINOR DAMAGE. I would contact someone within the department about that one.

If you want a report, you get a report. Thats what taxes pay for.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

^ i was pretty pissed that all he gave me was a green sheet to exchange info. im was like wtf no report? then how are the companies supposed to find out whose at fault? t