Deferred Adjudification Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deferred Adjudification Question...

My wife got a speeding ticket on Bush from a State Trooper today for 21 over. She's took defensive driving in Plano about 10mos ago for another ticket, but since this one isn't a City of Plano Ticket (This one is for the Justice of the Peace) can she take it again?

I know if you get tickets in different cities within 12mos of each other, that you can still take defensive driving for both, but is it the same for the JOP?

Any constructive insight would be welcome... flamers would be better off just moving on Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Tell her to reset it a few times and then she should be fine to take it again

J
Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Tell her to reset it a few times and then she should be fine to take it again

J
I assume you're talking about the class - she took it at a restaurant the last time she took it. Do the courts check before they allow you to do it?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I was referring to the class. I'm not really sure if they actually check on the defensive driving. In the past I have done the deferred in different counties and they never checked or said anything about being on probation somewhere else. The courts just want your $$$$ thats the bottom line.

J
Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Yes I was referring to the class. I'm not really sure if they actually check on the defensive driving. In the past I have done the deferred in different counties and they never checked or said anything about being on probation somewhere else. The courts just want your $$$$ thats the bottom line.

J
That's what I figured... I told her to just keep her mouth shut, ask for DA and if they say something, play dumb and pout/cry... who knows
Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the deferred thing, pay for the ticket and dont get another one in that county for 3 mths. never goes on your record. I had 4 different ones in 4 different counties all at one time about a year ago. still havent seen anything on my record and my insurance hasnt raised a cent.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he is talking about having to take DD in addition to getting deferred. Correct? If so that DD doesn't count against you taking DD or anything it was just an added provision the judge or DA put on the deal you made with the city etc.. I personally never take those deals, but they always push them! In other words you treat it like you haven't had any tickets and do what ever you want with the new ticket I alway go for the deferred the cost almost always equals out once you figure in the court cost and the cost of the DD course no to mention your time to go and take DD Good luck and if I was wrong about understanding what you were saying then sorry. If you were on a Deferred and got another ticket before the probationary period was up your ok, cause the key work is Convicted! The terminoligy says "If you are convicted of another trafic infraction." Not if you get one as they have to prove you guilty before the can hang you. And so you can post pone the ticket or get on another deferred if you can.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, here is what you do in either situation....

If you want to do defensive driving, have her reset the COURT DATE a few times. This would put her past the 12 month period. Thats why you have to get your driving record now. If you have taken defensive driving for a ticket ANYWHERE in Texas during the last 12 months, it will show up on your driving record.

I prefer the deferred method.... Pay the court costs and an "admin" fee (at least in Hunt County) and you are good. Have her explain that she took DD 10 months ago, thats why she wants the deferred, and they should be cool about it.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Or you have 90 days, do like i did and request it, wait till after the 12 months is up and take it. Worked for me

William
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by will69camaro
Or you have 90 days, do like i did and request it, wait till after the 12 months is up and take it. Worked for me

William

It all depends, some courts check as well before they will approve you for the DD.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Probably should have mentioned this before... she's under 25 so she has to take DD with DA according to the new state regulations. It sounds like we just need to reset our court date a couple times and get it pushed back 90-120 days so the other DD/DA goes off and we can do it again.

Am I understanding that right?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

WHAT? I got a ticket not that long ago and took deferred adjudication with no problem...

Might want to look into it, if nothing else push the court date back a few times.

William
Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Tx_WS6
Probably should have mentioned this before... she's under 25 so she has to take DD with DA according to the new state regulations. It sounds like we just need to reset our court date a couple times and get it pushed back 90-120 days so the other DD/DA goes off and we can do it again.

Am I understanding that right?
No court is going to know about the DA except the court it was in, and I dought they will know about the DD, because technicly you weren't taking the DD to dismiss a ticket do you follow me? You are on Deferred/probation and at the end of the probationary period if you have't been CONVICTED of another traffic violation it will be dismissed and won't be on your record or anything it is like it never happened. If you want to do DA again reset the date until your probation is up, if you want to do DD just ask for it and go down the road.