Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe Ground Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-Pipe Ground Clearance Issue

I had some LT's installed this weekend with a custom made y-pipe. My car has Hotchkis lowering springs on it (previous owner installed) and I knew a new y-pipe would have ground clearance issues.

But, I scrape on every speed bump, regardless of the angle of approach. I don't want to keep doing it because I'm afraid of the stress it puts on the system.

So, these are the three solutions I can think of:

1) Having the driver's side section of the pipe redone to sit a little higher (I know that one issue can arise is it hitting the floor board). But there is about 2" of clearance between the floor board and pipe, so lifting it an inch would help.

2) Changing the springs to something with less drop. I'm not sure how much the Hotchkis springs drop the car - may 1"? The stock springs would raise it an inch.

3) Raise the section of y-pipe and change the springs.

What do you guys think is the best solution?

Also, where can I buy the stock springs (other than the dealer) - most of the places I searched online offered only lowering springs, or stuff for older Camaros.

Last edited by patricksd; 07-10-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you find out how much the drop is... I am willing to trade you my stock spring+money for yours... But let me know... Just have the Y-Pipe shifted up would my choice.

If your are interested let me now what springs they are and see if you can find out how much he drop is.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Until you get everything squared away with getting your Y-pipe fixed avoid the speed bumps as much as you can.
If you dont you will end up with leaks & you will keep on having your performance shop weld it shut to fix it.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

The problem is that the entrance to my complex has speed bumps, so I have to go over them. If I take it really slow and at the right angle, it barely scrapes, but it still bugs the living hell out of me.

I'm going to have the pipe raise a little bit between the header and cat on the driver's side. It may not completely get rid of the problem, but hitting it the way that I am is not fun.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

I understand now, I forget that Apt. complexes have speed bumps.
Well that stinks...
Hope you get your Y-pipe fixed soon.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hotchkis springs advertise a 1" drop but in reality, its about 1.5." I also have LTs with the hotchkis springs and I have great clearance in terms of my Y pipe. My Y pipe was also custom done at a exhaust shop and hugs nice and snug to the body. Obviously, putting the stock springs would be your best bet for a quick fix but if you like the stance of your lowered car, I would recommend experimenting with a different y/x pipe that offers more clearance...

by the way, what lt's are you running? they all hang differently and the majority of your problem most likely has to do with them... i.e. if they are slp...

if you decide you want stock springs, send me a pm and we can work something out. i have some

Last edited by FadedSS; 07-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FadedSS
hotchkis springs advertise a 1" drop but in reality, its about 1.5." I also have LTs with the hotchkis springs and I have great clearance in terms of my Y pipe. My Y pipe was also custom done at a exhaust shop and hugs nice and snug to the body. Obviously, putting the stock springs would be your best bet for a quick fix but if you like the stance of your lowered car, I would recommend experimenting with a different y/x pipe that offers more clearance...

by the way, what lt's are you running? they all hang differently and the majority of your problem most likely has to do with them... i.e. if they are slp...

if you decide you want stock springs, sent me a pm and we can work something out. i have some
I think the y-pipe section on the driver's side is what's killing the ground clearance. There is 2"-2.5" between the pipe and floor board, and moving it up should help. I have Pacesetter LT's.

How close does your y-pipe sit to the floor board? Does it ever bang on the bottom of the car?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have pacesetter LTs as well as the hotchkis 1". Mine hug really tight and unsurprisingly, not very low. Get a new Y pipe made bro! Mine is just about as high as it can get without banging and I couldnt be happier with clearance.

by the way, did you ever dyno'ed yours after the exhaust install? curious to see what they put out...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FadedSS
I have pacesetter LTs as well as the hotchkis 1". Mine hug really tight and unsurprisingly, not very low. Get a new Y pipe made bro! Mine is just about as high as it can get without banging and I couldnt be happier with clearance.

by the way, did you ever dyno'ed yours after the exhaust install? curious to see what they put out...
I'm going Saturday to have the y-pipe section redone. If its not too much trouble, can you look under the car and tell me how much space is between the y and floor board? The guy at the exhaust shop lets me hang out back there while he is doing the work, so if I direct him to leave 1" or 3/4" or whatever, he'll do it. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I did not dyno the car afterwards. My power steering rack went out and needed a new one, so instead of a custom dyno tune, I got a new powersteering rack
Old 07-11-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I have a 3" ORY and with a bump stop clamp on the drivers side it sits about 1/4" at the most from the floor. The closest it comes to hitting anything is the transmission crossmember which has about an 1/8" if I'm lucky spacing. My exhaust is so tight fitting under my car that it does not move really. It's a pain to take off and put back on but flows great and looks good.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me know if it doesnt work out for you and i will trade you the springs + Money and we can do the work for us. I have buddies that we can get it all done rather quickly.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Intense
Let me know if it doesnt work out for you and i will trade you the springs + Money and we can do the work for us. I have buddies that we can get it all done rather quickly.
I will definitely let you know. This is the cheaper route to go first, since I will have to buy new shocks with the stock springs, and they are going to cost more than the $50 the guy is charging me to redo that section of pipe.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAD WS6
I have a 3" ORY and with a bump stop clamp on the drivers side it sits about 1/4" at the most from the floor. The closest it comes to hitting anything is the transmission crossmember which has about an 1/8" if I'm lucky spacing. My exhaust is so tight fitting under my car that it does not move really. It's a pain to take off and put back on but flows great and looks good.
Okay, cool. Like I said, right there is over 2" of space between the pipe and floor board, so getting it up another 1-1/2 inches will definitely help. Before I leave the shop, I'll take it for a ride and see if it bangs. But if yours is 1/4" away and doesn't bang, I don't think I'll have problems.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

with my ypipie it is about half inch away from the floor of my car. but what i did was buy the tsp ypipe and then bend it in right where it was hitting the floor just a little bit so itwouldnt hit and the max flow for it.and only time it hits is if im just crusing over a speed bump and forget that the ypipe is there
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

i have a tsp ory and a 1.75in drop. hardly ever scrap...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I'll have the piped fabbed up so it sits about 3/4" before the floor on the driver's side. The only time it scrapes is over speed bumps - especially if I take them head on. If I go super slow, and at an angle, it won't hit - but that's too much trouble.

Quick Reply: Y-Pipe Ground Clearance Issue