Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What percentage tint should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What percentage tint should I use?

I just bought a 99 TA and it has no tint whatsoever, so I am going this weekend to get some and was wondering what the law is about tint in Texas. I am pretty sure that you can only have as dark as 35% on the sides and front, but you can have as dark as you want on the back. Please let me know if I am correct because I don't want to get illegal tint and be hassled by the cops. Also, what combination tint should I go with? I was thinking 35% on front and sides and 20% on the back. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: What percentage tint should I use?

the only drae back to the darker tint on the back window is it drastically reduces visibility. my dad has a truck with the back window tinted a 5% and you see nothing but the reflections from the gagues at night.

dustin
Old 05-14-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did 35% side and 20% rear...

However! I Wish I had done 20% all the way around. Friend of mine has SOM WS6 with 20% and it looks sweet
Old 05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a black 02 TA. I am in Texas and I did 5% all around, looks really nice. If you chose to do so just watch out for cops. Advice: If you have t-tops leave the covers off, so light can come in, otherwise, there is no seeing inside from the outside.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see some pics! I got 37's says the NYPD and I wanna go darker
Old 05-14-2003, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the TX law says up to 20% on the sides and anything you want on the back. I agree, 5% on the back is really hard to see out of. If I were you, I'd go for 20% all the way around.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know your laws there, but I've got 20% rear and 30% sides. I like it- not too dark, but keeps alot of sun out. I wouldn't want it any darker. It makes it harder to see out at night. BTW, Michigan law is as dark as you want on rear and tint can only come down 4" (I believe) from top of window on the sides. That looks stupid so I said screw that. I haven't been harrassed by the cops yet. If I see a cop in town, I put my windows down before I get closer to him.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 20% all around and looked really good, but after getting used to it I wanted it darker. After about a year with my tint I was pulled over and had to go court for the tint, err. But after that I ended up keeping the 20% on sides and had the back window tinted to 4% and I like it much better now! (*They never looked at the car at court, so tint didn't have to come off). At 1st I thought it was really dark in the back, but once again I got used to it and drive fine.

Quick Reply: What percentage tint should I use?