New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I got it looked at on a lift...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got it looked at on a lift...

Sup fellaz... so friday I had some friends hook me up and throw my SS A4 on a lift at a nearby shop. So from what I can tell only the exaust from bout midway to the back has been changed and thats it for exaust... still stock cats and whatnot. Other than that there's an aftermarket intake FIPK I believe.

So anyway I was tryin to talk the mechanic about whats the best course to gettin my car to its goal. He surprised me at first when he said i shouldnt even worry about the headers or the cats (wtf?) and said first I should just try to find a fuel&air management chip i can plug in for quick and cheap power gain. Ok, so thats not a bad idea i'll look into that but thats ALL he kept suggesting. This is comin from a guy who, he says, works on his buddie's 9 sec LS1 and was even working on a 700hp GTO when I arrived at the shop! It wasnt making any sense to me why he was stopping me at such mild modifications. Haha I even mentioned that as I start making more power I wanna change from the 12 bolt rearend and he stopped me again sayin nah you dont need to, the stock is reinforced... all i've read about on LS1tech is ppl changing to the 10-bolt right away cuz the 12 bolt sucks.

Anyway I dunno if he took me seriously when I said I was going for a high 11's low 12's w/o spray or what but Im not sure if i'll be talkin to him much more. Such a shame since he's a nice hook-up to have when u need a lift.

what u guys think
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
Sup fellaz... so friday I had some friends hook me up and throw my SS A4 on a lift at a nearby shop. So from what I can tell only the exaust from bout midway to the back has been changed and thats it for exaust... still stock cats and whatnot. Other than that there's an aftermarket intake FIPK I believe.

So anyway I was tryin to talk the mechanic about whats the best course to gettin my car to its goal. He surprised me at first when he said i shouldnt even worry about the headers or the cats (wtf?) and said first I should just try to find a fuel&air management chip i can plug in for quick and cheap power gain. Ok, so thats not a bad idea i'll look into that but thats ALL he kept suggesting. This is comin from a guy who, he says, works on his buddie's 9 sec LS1 and was even working on a 700hp GTO when I arrived at the shop! It wasnt making any sense to me why he was stopping me at such mild modifications. Haha I even mentioned that as I start making more power I wanna change from the 12 bolt rearend and he stopped me again sayin nah you dont need to, the stock is reinforced... all i've read about on LS1tech is ppl changing to the 10-bolt right away cuz the 12 bolt sucks.

Anyway I dunno if he took me seriously when I said I was going for a high 11's low 12's w/o spray or what but Im not sure if i'll be talkin to him much more. Such a shame since he's a nice hook-up to have when u need a lift.

what u guys think

I think he's a tool. 10 bolt sucks, the plug-in thing sounds like a joke, and you definately want headers to let your car breathe.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

sounds like the rest of the mechanics out there... . you have a 10 bolt rear and its not reinforced. chip/programmers like the diablosport arent going to net the hp a set of longtubes will do for the same price. i wouldnt listen to that guy anymore, just snoop around in the 11 second forums to see what those guys are using to run their times.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To get to low 12's or upper 11's this is what you need to do.

MODS
LT headers w/ ory (Off road Y pipe)
Drag radials
Lid
Filter
3200 stall
TransGo shift kit
LS6 intake for 98-00 F-Bodies
A real tune not some hypertech Bull ****. Someone with HPtuners is what you need
Remove bumper supports
Remove spare tire and all hardware.
Remove back seats and belts.
A complete tune up W/ sea foam

If you do all that, i can almost assure you that you will reach high 11s..
The point of making more power is to get as much air in and out of the engine that you possibly can. Thats why you want things that will let more air in such as: Intake, lid, filter etc. Then you that why you have the LT's and exhaust to make sure you get the air out efficiently ..

If you really want to get into it thats when you do heads with bigger ports and allow ALOT more flow!!! Then add a cam that has big lifts and you've got yourself a 10 sec car depending on traction weather and driver mod.

Anyways do what i suggested on the list and you will reach your goal no doubt about it. Oh and do the tune last so that away the tuner can tune it for all the mods .

Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, heres what you need to do.

Dont talk to that guy anymore, he doesnt know anything, about ls1's at least. Then start with bjamicks post and adjust to your liking and go from there. camshaft, heads, whatever
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Wow...just wow!

Sounds to me like the guy doesn't know anything about what he is talking of. He's probably just discouraging you so he will not have to work on your car and show that he really knows absolutely nothing!

There are no plug and play chips like on older version of EFI GM motors. There are handheld tuners like the Diablo and what not, but they are NOT going to net you any noticable gains (except maybe changing the shift points in your A4 ) towards your goal of 11s...

Heads, cam, a few bolt-ons (including long tube headers!) a new rear-end, some sticky tires, and you'll be in the 11's all day long!

Find a new person to work on your car.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For 12second runs N/A, your 10bolt probably will last. Now, if you added some spray though, you will probably need both a built 4l60e, th400, etc and a 12bolt/9inch. The chip deal is retarded IMO. A good set of headers, cam, tune will net you high 11s low 12s if you can get traction. Just don't listen to him.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Default tuners

i happen to love my diablo i noticed a difference when i drove it
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy is a complete moron...I would make sure he never touches your car.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light your car on fire before letting that guy touch your car, it will be a lot less painful/expensive...this has probably already been answered but in an a4 to hit 11's you can do it a couple of ways. You can grab a stall (3200-3500 rpm), headers/catback, some decent tires, and spray a 100-125 shot. Other way would be to again get a stall (3200-3500 or maybe bigger if you go large cam), good sized cam (maybe a torquer v2/v3, g5x3, ms3), decent tire, headers, ls6 intake and ported tb, 25% pulley and a tune. If you are going to run a sticky tire id be ready to replace the stock factory 10-bolt at some point with a 12-bolt or 9 inch rear. You can hit mid 12's/high 11's with bolt ons but you will need some weight reduction, huge stall, 12-bolt, sticky tires, suspension mods and drive the **** out of the car, but if you want to keep your car stock weight then your going to have to pick up a cam or spray to get there.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
To get to low 12's or upper 11's this is what you need to do.

MODS
LT headers w/ ory (Off road Y pipe)
Drag radials
Lid
Filter
3200 stall
TransGo shift kit
LS6 intake for 98-00 F-Bodies
A real tune not some hypertech Bull ****. Someone with HPtuners is what you need
Remove bumper supports
Remove spare tire and all hardware.
Remove back seats and belts.
A complete tune up W/ sea foam

If you do all that, i can almost assure you that you will reach high 11s..
The point of making more power is to get as much air in and out of the engine that you possibly can. Thats why you want things that will let more air in such as: Intake, lid, filter etc. Then you that why you have the LT's and exhaust to make sure you get the air out efficiently ..

If you really want to get into it thats when you do heads with bigger ports and allow ALOT more flow!!! Then add a cam that has big lifts and you've got yourself a 10 sec car depending on traction weather and driver mod.

Anyways do what i suggested on the list and you will reach your goal no doubt about it. Oh and do the tune last so that away the tuner can tune it for all the mods .

Hope this helps
I love this post lol you've given me a path to follow since im brand new to all this. Quick question tho and im almost afraid to ask... how much would it cost for all this? and then to have it all installed? Of course I would love to do it myself so I can actually learn somthing. I just dont have the tools for one and so far the only one's I would trust to help me do this is you guys cuz no1 around here seems to know half as much as you guys.

Also apart from the list you've given how much does a cam/cam install and 3.23 gears/install go for? I'm sure I could find these parts easily enough with a search but I dunno which brands are good and which is crap and even then i wouldnt have an easy way to find out how much it would be to install.

Thanks again for the advice, LS1.tech members rule
Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

little bit of advice, from now on dont talk to mindless douche bags who think they know it all when in reality this guy probably doesnt know how to tighten a gas cap god I hate flamers who just feed ppl bull ****(sorry I have to rant about mechanics like this but I have just run into so many that are complete f*ckin retards).....anyways my advice would be to get some headers and an ORY first, but if you want to add a real seat of the pants feel first then I would go with a 3600 stall, shift kit, trans cooler, QTP cutout and a tune, should get you some mid 12's in good conditions......
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
I love this post lol you've given me a path to follow since im brand new to all this. Quick question tho and im almost afraid to ask... how much would it cost for all this? and then to have it all installed? Of course I would love to do it myself so I can actually learn somthing. I just dont have the tools for one and so far the only one's I would trust to help me do this is you guys cuz no1 around here seems to know half as much as you guys.

Also apart from the list you've given how much does a cam/cam install and 3.23 gears/install go for? I'm sure I could find these parts easily enough with a search but I dunno which brands are good and which is crap and even then i wouldnt have an easy way to find out how much it would be to install.

Thanks again for the advice, LS1.tech members rule
LT headers w/ ory (Off road Y pipe)-xs stainless longtubes. $350, Jet hot ypipe $230(definately could have had it fabbed cheaper but i was in a hurry haha)
Drag radials-$250
Lid- $60 used
Filter- screw the filter
3200 stall- around $600 new
TransGo shift kit-$120
LS6 intake for 98-00 F-Bodies- $300 used
A real tune not some hypertech Bull ****. Someone with HPtuners is what you need-i'd wait on a tune until you get a cam
Remove bumper supports- free
Remove spare tire and all hardware. free
Remove back seats and belts. free
A complete tune up W/ sea foam- 70ish(plugs,fuel filter,seafoam...maybe some other stuff)
around $1980(could be A LOT more expensive if you go with other brands) without install...i'd do everything myself except the tranny stuff
Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

He's dumb. More air in + more air out = power.