Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

streetability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default streetability?

anyone running a 370ci with a f-1a or f-1r procharger? if so what rearend and tranny are you using along with stall if an auto? what kind of suspension setup? and how streetable is your car and what time are you running at the track? im asking these questions because my orginal plan was something along the lines of a 408 with a turbo, but looked into it and it seems like it would be a little more cost effiecent with a supercharger. i do not have any of this yet but figuring out plans for the future... i want to get parts that would help instead of having to do it twice. my plans are to mostly drive it on the street (not my DD) with respectable track times...and i dont want to continue the nitrous route for personal preferences... thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

well everyone has their own opinion on what streetable is but I will be running a 370ci with a TC76MPS turbo set-upand I am running a FLT stage 3 4L80E with a 4k stall and a 9" with 3.50 gears. The car is not together yet but I do plan to drive it on the street
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep me updated on when you get it done and how the manners are...im not looking for a cadillac on drivability...but something i can drive on the road if i wanted to...turbos would be fun...but from what ive seen on here, getting a kit is pretty difficult, so im gonna go with a supercharger...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you classify as respectable track times?? And you will not have fun fitting a f1r in there. A F1a is capable of bottom 9's at the track. How much do you want??
Old 07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crazboy99
keep me updated on when you get it done and how the manners are...im not looking for a cadillac on drivability...but something i can drive on the road if i wanted to...turbos would be fun...but from what ive seen on here, getting a kit is pretty difficult, so im gonna go with a supercharger...
what do you mean by difficult? There are several sponsors selling turbo kits. It could be a while before the car comes together as I am getting everything before I tear it apart so I don't have to multiple times, but I will post up a new thread after I get it together and tuned.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
7 Second Club

if you want something street able there's nothing more streetable than a mild 402 stroker with a nice set of heads and spray..... if you want to drive this thing around very much i would heavily consider going back to nitrous... 550-600fwhp is very easily obtainable these days with a 402 then put a 200 shot on it and be done with it... its just too easy....
Old 07-19-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
What do you classify as respectable track times?? And you will not have fun fitting a f1r in there. A F1a is capable of bottom 9's at the track. How much do you want??
low 10's maybe 9's... by difficult i mean the wait time and not usually getting everything right the first time...ive been keeping track of the sponsor feedback about turbos...paying someone thousands of $$$ and not getting a response or all your parts in a timely manner is too much headache for me to justify waiting for a turbo...

im use to being around nitrous cars....i wanna be different from the norm....one reason i want to get away from it...i know there are a bunch of people on this site with turbos or superchargers, but i dont meet too many on the street or at work with one...i want a challenge
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
7 Second Club

low 10's maybe 9's... by difficult i mean the wait time and not usually getting everything right the first time...ive been keeping track of the sponsor feedback about turbos...paying someone thousands of $$$ and not getting a response or all your parts in a timely manner is too much headache for me to justify waiting for a turbo...

im use to being around nitrous cars....i wanna be different from the norm....one reason i want to get away from it...i know there are a bunch of people on this site with turbos or superchargers, but i dont meet too many on the street or at work with one...i want a challenge

well if your looking for a challenge then FI is for you... cause something is always breaking it seems like... especially if you street drive it much and abuse it much...

but i do agree with you that if your no where near a reputalbe shop then stick with a procharger... i'd even look into speed inc's ysi blower kit since they can run a wider belt... looks like psj had some nice custom pieces that you could ask him about..
Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhz28
well everyone has their own opinion on what streetable is but I will be running a 370ci with a TC76MPS turbo set-upand I am running a FLT stage 3 4L80E with a 4k stall and a 9" with 3.50 gears. The car is not together yet but I do plan to drive it on the street

4000 stall...wow....i hope its not a daily driver or you got a GOOD converter or its gonna blow thru a high powered heavy streetcar
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Fiery Features Director

anyone running a 370ci with a f-1a or f-1r procharger? if so what rearend and tranny are you using along with stall if an auto? what kind of suspension setup? and how streetable is your car and what time are you running at the track? im asking these questions because my orginal plan was something along the lines of a 408 with a turbo, but looked into it and it seems like it would be a little more cost effiecent with a supercharger. i do not have any of this yet but figuring out plans for the future... i want to get parts that would help instead of having to do it twice. my plans are to mostly drive it on the street (not my DD) with respectable track times...and i dont want to continue the nitrous route for personal preferences... thanks
Depends on what you mean by streetable. Will it be reliable? I took my T76 turbo Camaro on the Power Tour and had several issues (head gasket, over heating, manifold cracking, etc) but the car made it home just fine. I drove the car back and forth to work for almost 2 years without problems. I had to deal with minor issues on a regular basis, but that comes along with any modified vehicle. As long as you spend the money and do it right by upgrading the weak parts (rear end, transmission, etc.) and providing the system with the support it needs (fuel upgrades, tuning, etc.), you should be fine. However, along with the more extreme set up will come more problems. If you plan to take the car to the track on a regular basis and push consistent 9 second passes, be sure you have a hefty bank account because something will break!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
7 Second Club

girls driving turbo cars
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have a 370 or a 402, but i have the LS1 with a cam and STS and she makes 500rwhp with cam and supporting mods (provided i dont use the stock clutch ) and she does a lot of highway rolls, pretty nice and simple if you ask me
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
i dont have a 370 or a 402, but i have the LS1 with a cam and STS and she makes 500rwhp with cam and supporting mods (provided i dont use the stock clutch ) and she does a lot of highway rolls, pretty nice and simple if you ask me
never really been a fan of the butt blowers...just my opinion...i know they work, but if i went with a turbo id prefer front mount...
Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cablebandit
4000 stall...wow....i hope its not a daily driver or you got a GOOD converter or its gonna blow thru a high powered heavy streetcar
I have been daily driving the car with he stall in it with no probs.