Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant temp sensors own me

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default coolant temp sensors own me

i'd like to start this thread by stating that i am an idiot. i am amidst a heads/cam swap. aside from the fact that its taking me almost a year (damn school) all is going well. BUT, while removing the old heads, i broke the clip off my coolant temp sensor. no big deal, i removed it and bought a new one. so this week i finally bolted down the new heads, and i decided to install that new sensor today. so im threading it in by hand, now with a 3/4 box wrench. ok its on, but there are still many threads showing, so i decide to give it a last couple turns to get it in there a little better. and it breaks. threads in the head, and sensor in my hand. sweet! i have the extreme pleasure of removing my heads again, buying new head bolts and gasket, buying a third sensor, and figuring out a way to jimmy the threads out of the head.

just thought i'd pass on the message to everyone else, don't overtighten the sensor! if this saves one person the aggrevation of doing the extra work, then this thread served its purpose. if this was common knowledge, then everyone can laugh at the idiot
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Damn, sorry for the bad luck... I replaced mine 3 times. the original one I broke during my header install, the 2nd one did not work and the 3rd was an AC delco brand it worked perfectly.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it did own you. It has owned me as well. My CEL was on for it. I replaced it now have 5 more CEL's. That things the devil.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks.

I'm assuming that the hole is still plugged and won't leak? If this is the case, and you REALLY didn't want to go through all that trouble, you could remove the plug from the other cylinder head, lengthen the wires for the harness connector and screw your (3rd) temp sensor into the other cylinder head.

Just thinking out loud here.

Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

THANK GOD! I thought I was the only dumbass that did this. During my Header install I broke mine and overtightened it somehow, I thought the thing wasn't even threaded in fully and I didn't want it to **** coolant everywhere so I kept tightening. I luckily got mine out no problem though took a pair of needle nose and got it out easily
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
That sucks.

I'm assuming that the hole is still plugged and won't leak? If this is the case, and you REALLY didn't want to go through all that trouble, you could remove the plug from the other cylinder head, lengthen the wires for the harness connector and screw your (3rd) temp sensor into the other cylinder head.

Just thinking out loud here.

Mike
i'm taking off the head so i can fully remove it and install a new one.

Originally Posted by Camaroz
THANK GOD! I thought I was the only dumbass that did this. During my Header install I broke mine and overtightened it somehow, I thought the thing wasn't even threaded in fully and I didn't want it to **** coolant everywhere so I kept tightening. I luckily got mine out no problem though took a pair of needle nose and got it out easily
thats exactly how i broke mine! it looks like it should thread in there more. it sticks out to kingdom come! im actually on my way to buy some needle nose pliers. can i ask if you just jammed it in there or was there something you could grab in there?

thanks for the kind words guys, i feel alot better. i thought i was the only person in the world to ever do that
Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Damn that sucks. I just got done with my H/C swap & am still on my original sensor. Mine threaded in all the way with just my fingers & then I tightened it a half turn with a wrench. We also left it in when the LT's went back in.

You got some bad luck man. Just be careful & if it doesn't thread in all the way take it out & try again, don't just try to force it in there.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i'm taking off the head so i can fully remove it and install a new one.

thats exactly how i broke mine! it looks like it should thread in there more. it sticks out to kingdom come! im actually on my way to buy some needle nose pliers. can i ask if you just jammed it in there or was there something you could grab in there?

thanks for the kind words guys, i feel alot better. i thought i was the only person in the world to ever do that
I just stuck the needle nose pliers in and expanded them to grab the sides a bit and threaded it out that way. I did this with the heads still on BTW so it should be cake for you.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroz
I just stuck the needle nose pliers in and expanded them to grab the sides a bit and threaded it out that way. I did this with the heads still on BTW so it should be cake for you.
it worked! that and a flathead screwdriver... i owe you a beer if your ever in my area. thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm under 21 but hell I love free beer BTW did you pull the head? I think I used a flathead too but couldn't remember. It wasn't that hard to thread out.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

no the head stayed on. i chewed up the head a bit but nothing really detrimental.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
no the head stayed on. i chewed up the head a bit but nothing really detrimental.
Good to hear you didn't pull the head
Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow... i'm thinking i came very close to doing this same thing.... The other day i put in my sensor after my radiator swap and i tightened the hell out of it... I was also worried about leaking coolant... well when I was tightening it with the wrench, on the very last turn, i heard a faint "click".... i was like "OH ****!".... but didn't see any damage anywhere and nothing broke off... sensor is working fine... so i just left it as is.... i'm betting it was very close to breaking off if not actually getting a hairline crack and that's what the "click" i heard was...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ And it will leak in 1000 miles down the road...

Nah, just kidding with you! But seriously check that thing at least once every oil change.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Launching!

try using an easy out to remove it. like one these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by STALL UP
try using an easy out to remove it. like one these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
yup my buddy told me about it right before i got it out. that was the next step

Quick Reply: coolant temp sensors own me