Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will electric cutout plates fit my car?.... pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Will electric cutout plates fit my car?.... pics

Here are some pics of my custom y-pipe and the cutouts. I am not sure exactly how much room physically an electric putout plate needs with the motor size and what not. Its tight down there with the y pipe on the inside of the cutout and the SFCs on the outside. Here are some pics, let me know what you guys think... Yes, they are low, and yes they are scraped up, haha. Most of this destruction happened with passengers i nthe car and added weight. By myself i rarely scrape, plus i'm learning what they can take to not scrape, etc. Just want to know if elec plates will fit or not. Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not run an electric valves on your cutouts. Not enough clearance and they wont do to well if ya scrape the ground with them.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well like i said, i dont scrape anymore, i know what it can take. its not a concern to me anymore, just want to know if theres any chance of the plates with the motors fitting? Anyone else?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't. The way the cutouts are angled down, you go adding another few inches to the ends and that's going to give you even less clearance than you have now. You are going to rip the motors right off.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was thinking that, no plates can rotate at all? I know QTPs wont.... However each side looks tho if i mount it a certain way, the motor will tuck up by the SFC...

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

These give you some flexibilty to rotate it some, but the flanges are wider than what you have already and will be hanging lower. The motor may be ok, but the rest is vulnerable. I can't speak of their quality, just happen to see the site the other day.

http://www.NOT-A-SPONSOR.com.org.gov.net.htm

--------------------------------------------------

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY NON-SPONSOR CONTACT INFO!!!

Thanks,
Craig.
LS1TECH.com Staff

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited by CRAGER; 07-20-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, Speed, Inc. sells a DMH cutout for less than the one I posted, can be rotated some and is thinner across. Scroll 1/2 way down.
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Quick Time Performance sells them:

Cutout Y Pipe
Includes Dual 3" Electric Cutouts

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

I faced the same issue w/ my car as well, couldn't decide if i wanted to dish out the extra $ for the electrics, not to mention my sub-par clearance issue as is. Here's a pic...

Clearance improved alot when i put a new pair of stock springs on it (b4 there was a 2" lowering kit, yep i died w/ the exhaust. Less than half a coke cans worth of clearance). Local exhaust shop said it probably wasn't a good idea due to the flanges that protrude out a little more than the rest of the works. But personally i'd be worried more about the vulnerability of the motors themselves.

My advice: probably not a good idea, heck i still scrape w/ how it is now sometimes. I would say stick w/ what you have now cause a good set of cutouts (electric or not) is always the way to go for an open drag, can't beat the sound and feels great, but in the end it's still your call. Don't get me wrong, electrics would be the way to go, GM just didn't give us that much room under the car
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

DMH cut outs have slotted holes. You can rotate them around quite a bit. You wont be adding inches either... More like 1/2". Just the thickness of the plate. Because the holes are slotted, you have a decent range of possibilities for mounting.

Here is my DMH mounted. I didnt have a ton of room either. Also, since your pipes are angled down already, you wont need the turndown that I made.

Looks like you would have enough room... Besides, if you cant swing the motor/gearbox up far enough, its nothing alittle massaging the floorboard wont take care of I just see the scrap marks on your existing plates and that would make me a tad nervous... But thats a judgment call only you can make.

Justin
Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok thanks guys, exact info i was looking for here! I think im going to order up 2 DMH plates then. Thanks! I'll keep you all posted!